PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rated poker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rated poker

Not a support question, but not quite sure where to post this.

Something I've been pondering for a while and wonder what people would think of:

If we had a poker site, or even just rooms and tourney on 'stars, where players would have to display their "rating", as in online chess... would you want to play on it?

You know, in online chess, you go up against a player with an 1800 rating, you expect him to play a bit different from one with a 1600 - or 2200 - rating. Chess of course
    On most sites you can also choose the ranges you want to play against.

So if we had a "rated" site - or area - where the player's rating, calculated to something like the ranking sites' formulas, is displayed in games for all to see... would you play there? Or give it a try?

Is the idea absurd ?

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Is the idea absurd ?

Yes......
    Good players want to play the bad players (donkeys and fish)

Comment

The point being that if you display a high rating no-one will play you?

Not too sure about that.

Comment

Why would you want to play players with a similar standard or better than you?

I swim with the fishies for the very reason I know I'm one of the best. I don't want to be eaten by sharks or struggle with players of a similar standard.
        Bracelet Winner

Comment

But then it would be easier to spot the fish if they displayed a rating, wouldn't it.

And maybe they would play against your high rating for the simple reason that they are fish.

Also, I personally would rather play against mid-range players rather that constantly have to play bingo against lucky all-in no-range donks.

I still don't see any overwhelming reason why it couldn't be tried - to see what actually happened in a live environment.

Comment

One reason why I don't show my VIP status (I'm only bronze star but should hit silver this month) is I can use your status as a tell on the tables. Someone with a gold star or higher playing $1.50 or $3.50 games that I frequent is either a multi tabling reg or a massive donk who has blown his bankroll taking a shot at stakes he shouldn't be at. As I'm a reg on these, I know who my fellow regs are, very few slip through my net as I usually keep an eye on the lobby to see who's registering in what games.
            Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.