PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PokerStars Zoom Poker Beta **OFFICIAL DISCUSSION**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrustySam View Post

Like I feel like the mistakes I was making at the regular cash tables are exactly the same at the zoom tables?

But yeah ... I guess I'd agree that zoom tables, the penny tables might be a deceptively costly place to practice one's game ...

So if you are making same mistakes at Zoom as regular then the "leak" will be magnified at Zoom, as you will have no time to sit and think oh yeah did the again must avoid it in the down times.

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Grade b View Post
      So if you are making same mistakes at Zoom as regular then the "leak" will be magnified at Zoom, as you will have no time to sit and think oh yeah did the again must avoid it in the down times.

Grade b
      Well keep in mind, I'm hard on myself. So when I talk about 'mistakes', I mean that I'm profitable, but I see leaks.

Like with this hand:

PokerStars Zoom Hand #77396458649: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2012/03/18 12:08:55 ET
      Table 'bltable.1225795485.1225814290' 6-max
      Seat 1: TrustySam ($2.36 in chips)
      Seat 2: pablitosway8 ($2.94 in chips)
      Seat 3: 75Serega ($0.77 in chips)
      Seat 4: wlazly1991 ($1.74 in chips)
      Seat 5: M.B.- Hessen ($2.17 in chips)
      Seat 6: eMOeSTe ($1.98 in chips)
      pablitosway8: posts small blind $0.01
      75Serega: posts big blind $0.02
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to TrustySam [Td Ts]
      wlazly1991: folds
      M.B.- Hessen: folds
      eMOeSTe: raises $0.02 to $0.04
      TrustySam: raises $0.12 to $0.16
      pablitosway8: calls $0.15
      75Serega: folds
      eMOeSTe: calls $0.12
      *** FLOP *** [8s 9h 3h]
      pablitosway8: checks
      eMOeSTe: checks
      TrustySam: bets $2.20 and is all-in
      pablitosway8: raises $0.58 to $2.78 and is all-in
      eMOeSTe: folds
      Uncalled bet ($0.58) returned to pablitosway8
      *** TURN *** [8s 9h 3h] [Qd]
      *** RIVER *** [8s 9h 3h Qd] [3d]
      *** SHOW DOWN ***
      pablitosway8: shows [Tc Js] (a straight, Eight to Queen)
      TrustySam: shows [Td Ts] (two pair, Tens and Threes)
      pablitosway8 collected $4.73 from pot
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $4.90 | Rake $0.17
      Board [8s 9h 3h Qd 3d]
      Seat 1: TrustySam showed [Td Ts] and lost with two pair, Tens and Threes
      Seat 2: pablitosway8 (small blind) showed [Tc Js] and won ($4.73) with a straight, Eight to Queen
      Seat 3: 75Serega (big blind) folded before Flop
      Seat 4: wlazly1991 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 5: M.B.- Hessen folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 6: eMOeSTe folded on the Flop

I mean like my reads are generally ballpark ... the 'leak' that I'm interested in plugging with is my tendency to play for stacks against people who are never going to fold, and then getting sucked out for huge sums of money. Like I don't know of it was ideal for me to shove into an obvious station (didn't think they had JJ-AA because there were already 3 of us in the pot and they didn't 3bet, therefore I had the best hand unless they hit a set, etc ... although maybe this was too optimistic and it just happened to wind up correct?)? Because my report card at PTR is recommending I dial everything back and tone it down, etc.

In STT's you don't really have the luxury if shoving all that often - like oftentimes I'd take a more conservative line - so that's a quality I know is absent in me when I play in cash games that I'd like to try and incorporate.

Anyways - this hand, combined with the KK,and one other suckout means I hit my stop-loss, and 2 out of 3 were bad beats I couldn't control, but because I keep shoving like a crazy person, it means it's back to the regular speed tables for me for now.

How are people (grade b, etc) finding their profitability at the Zoom tables compared to regular speed cash tables - more, less, about the same?
      Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Mar 18, 2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I played for about 3mins to stack off 3 times with kk and lose, i do not like it.seems a quicker way to lose your money if you can not win at normal poker as it is.

Comment

I can't explain why, but for some reason having reads on people really seems to help keep me in check. Like if not for reads, all I wind up doing is gambling, like I would with a slot machine ... money in! money in! I mean like there's some cues based on peoples' behavior and stuff, but there's also more doubt you figure? So maybe rush poker might be more profitable for people who are willing to fold more often or something? For some people, it seems like they might be able to profit faster, since they can use the fast fold, wouldn't it seem? So if there's people like that, then it'll be interesting to hear how they play umbup:

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Curran View Post
            This type of game is for Gamblers only.

If you don't go to showdown, you don't get to see the result of the hand.

You are unable to get reads on opponents, as you are at a different table each hand.

Lots of players play shove or fold, makes the Astronomer freerolls in the earlier stages, look like regular Poker.

Just three of the drawbacks of this type of game.
            You can see the results by pressing control button and fold at the same time.
            7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Well, after playing the play money version for less than half an hour, I can safely say 2 things. 1) I don't like it and 2) I probably won't play it again.

It just makes me too impatient, which makes me (and, I suspect, a lot of others) tilt. And this is probably how PS will profit by it. Impatience breeds tilt, which causes bad calls and bad raises on bad situations and general recklessness, which in turns makes people make rash all ins, and others rashly call them, which makes for big pots, big pots make for big rake, which makes big profit for PS.
              Yes I agree that PS is a business and therefore needs to make profit, but that does not detract from the fact that for me, this is a bad, poor way of playing poker.
              'Cause I have done it before and I can do it some more I got my eye on the score'

Comment

Not sure this will work all the time, or if it just worked this once ,but if anybody else has been having problems with their zoom hands getting accepted into the replayer, I took out the letters I highlighted in red, and added the letters in green (because I was in the button), and it worked this time: PokerStars Zoom Hand #77396458649: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2012/03/18 12:08:55 ET Table 'bltable.1225795485.1225814290' 6-max Seat #1 is the button Seat 1: TrustySam ($2.36 in chips) Seat 2: pablitosway8 ($2.94 in chips) Seat 3: 75Serega ($0.77 in chips) Seat 4: wlazly1991 ($1.74 in chips) Seat 5: M.B.- Hessen ($2.17 in chips) Seat 6: eMOeSTe ($1.98 in chips) pablitosway8: posts small blind $0.01 75Serega: posts big blind $0.02 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to TrustySam [Td Ts] wlazly1991: folds (To look like this after the changes)
                PokerStars Hand #77396458649: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2012/03/18 12:08:55 ET Table 'bltable.1225795485.1225814290' 6-max Seat #1 is the button Seat 1: TrustySam ($2.36 in chips) Seat 2: pablitosway8 ($2.94 in chips) Seat 3: 75Serega ($0.77 in chips) Seat 4: wlazly1991 ($1.74 in chips) Seat 5: M.B.- Hessen ($2.17 in chips) Seat 6: eMOeSTe ($1.98 in chips) pablitosway8: posts small blind $0.01 75Serega: posts big blind $0.02 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to TrustySam [Td Ts] wlazly1991: folds
                Hopefully that'll work the next time too
                Last edited by TrustySam; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Zoom I really like the Zoom tables. Its fun and fast, since from the US can only play at play money tables, have found it to be a quick way to get chips, so far showing "profit" in several thousand chips per session, usually play a TAG style, fold lots of hands, and for variety will play a few speculative hands. Also like the 6 person turbos and usually do well in those, placing first or second with similiar playing style. At the other site did play Rush a few times, and definetly like the table transiontions with Zoom much better than with Rush. So for me umbup: for Zoom!
                  Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Curran View Post
                    This type of game is for Gamblers only.

If you don't go to showdown, you don't get to see the result of the hand.

You are unable to get reads on opponents, as you are at a different table each hand.
                    Not true at all. Rush/zoom poker is very easy to get reads on opponents and quite quickly. Pt3 already has an enable zoom hud option or you can do it the old fashioned way, notes and memory.

You can look back on any hand as well. You also get standards regulars as you do in any other form of poker.

There's really nothing bingo about it.

Also, an understanding of position play is essential to this format.

My 2 cents at least - good luck
                    You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Comment

You can see the remainder of the hand by holding down the Ctrl button as you click Fold! Oops looks like Shirshot already answered this one ..
                      Last edited by TEXASKICK; Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:47 AM. Reason: oops

Comment

Just 2-tabled if for a bit on minimini micro. AKs and QQ lost to AA and KK respectively within 5 seconds of each other and nicely cleared out what I had put in.

Zoom for me will be a Saturday night special I think. Paydays being paydays and so are the evening nights with days off following those paydays. Preying on the situational weak seems more a winning plan than praying with the perpetual meek to put it that way.

I rather suspect there is an optimal play formula for the game type that any script kiddie could code. Not that anyone would ever code a script for online play of course.

I would be extremely interested in a zoom type game with an anty however. That would certainly liven things up.
                        Last edited by jergul; Sun Apr 01, 2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jergul View Post
                          Just 2-tabled if for a bit on minimini micro. AKs and QQ lost to AA and KK respectively within 5 seconds of each other and nicely cleared out what I had put in.

Zoom for me will be a Saturday night special I think. Paydays being paydays and so are the evening nights with days off following those paydays. Preying on the situational weak seems more a winning plan than praying with the perpetual meek to put it that way.

I rather suspect there is an optimal play formula for the game type that any script kiddie could code. Not that anyone would ever code a script for online play of course.

I would be extremely interested in a zoom type game with an anty however. That would certainly liven things up.

Zoom tables with Antes - that's an interesting suggestion and the first time I've heard that brought up.

Thanks for trying it out and posting your feedback Jergul.
                          PokerStars VIP Coordinator - Dylan

Comment

Adding antes would definitely liven things up!! Tournaments would be good too.

Comment

Working...
                            X