PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catch 22 (unintentional) TOS Infringement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Catch 22 (unintentional) TOS Infringement

    I have been trying to teach my eldest son to play poker (even though I am only a newbie myself).

    What I wanted to do was seat us both at a table and try and give him advice whilst we were playing.

    This appears to be impossible for the following reasons;

    1. We will both be using the same IP adress

    2. Potential collusion/soft play

    3. There is no point sitting at a HU table together, we could easily do it with a pack of cards

    If I get him to join a home game with me, even if all other players were aware of the situation, it would still be a TOS infringement.

    If only one of us plays and the other is involved in discussion/advice on play this is also an infringement.

    Has anybody got any suggestions ?

  • #2
    I'd avoid the same game. Better to have the 2 of you in a room, with one playing and talking between you about the hands. That way you both see the cards and can discuss it, but there is absolutely no vioation of any of the TOS with only 1 playing.

    If you're both in the same tournies.. that could cause a problem and it's better to be proactive to avoid anything that could even be considered a violation.
    Last edited by JWK24; Fri Nov 18, 2011, 06:54 AM.
    Super-Moderator



    6 Time Bracelet Winner


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by boobylops View Post
      I have been trying to teach my eldest son to play poker (even though I am only a newbie myself).

      What I wanted to do was seat us both at a table and try and give him advice whilst we were playing.

      This appears to be impossible for the following reasons;

      1. We will both be using the same IP adress

      2. Potential collusion/soft play

      3. There is no point sitting at a HU table together, we could easily do it with a pack of cards

      If I get him to join a home game with me, even if all other players were aware of the situation, it would still be a TOS infringement.

      If only one of us plays and the other is involved in discussion/advice on play this is also an infringement.

      Has anybody got any suggestions ?

      If he is of age, get him his own account.

      Watch him play.

      talk about the hands he played AFTER each finishes.

      That is a shadow session, not a ToS violation.

      If he is not of age, teach him to play at home with a deck of cards until he is.
      Double Bracelet Winner

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JDean View Post
        If he is of age, get him his own account.

        Watch him play.

        talk about the hands he played AFTER each finishes.

        That is a shadow session, not a ToS violation.

        If he is not of age, teach him to play at home with a deck of cards until he is.
        Agree if he is not old enough throw him in zynga poker on Facebook that way he would see a lot more hands than he would with a deck off cards. Facebook is were a lot off people are starting off learning these days! It is also full off beginers and it tells you what hand you have got. My gf and eldest 9 year old son both play and learnt the basics off the game there.

        Comment


        • #5
          either have him make an account for himself, both of you will need to send in ID etc or as Bis said play on zynga... if not stars will snap ban you in a second

          Comment


          • #6
            We have made him an account already as he is over 21 but am still worried that we may violate some obscure TOS so I think we will just have to do as JD says and shadow session each other.
            Does seem a shame that we can't play in any of the big freerolls together (though I understand why) as Stars are supposed to have software preventing 2 people with the same IP adress from being on the same table.

            Comment


            • #7
              all you need to do is let stars know, and send in id's then all will be good.. but you need to send in the paperwork or the chances of you getting banned are about 100%

              Comment


              • #8
                you can do it in a home game I think
                2 Time Bracelet Winner


                Comment


                • #9
                  also if i read correctly you can play in the same mtt tournament as long as your not colluding
                  2 Time Bracelet Winner


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    lol I think it is only after you have been verified, and it has to be at least a 45 man tourney

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      no i dont think it can be any sng i think it has to be a regular mtt not sng
                      2 Time Bracelet Winner


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        either way we should get an answer in this forum

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Can I play at the same table as my friend?
                          Yes. PokerStars is happy for friends, relatives, and acquaintances to play at the same table as each other. However, when you do so, you are expected to play just as competitively against your friend as you would against any other player, and you must not share any information about the cards that you hold with them or make any playing agreements in secret (doing so is collusion, which is strictly prohibited).

                          If you have an agreement to share a bankroll, stake, or split profits with your friend, then in the interest of game integrity you must not play at the same cash game table or in the same Sit & Go tournament.

                          Players who live in the same household, whatever their relationship, must not play at the same cash game table or in the same Sit & Go tournament. In some cases, this restriction will be imposed automatically by the game software.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by roomik17 View Post
                            either way we should get an answer in this forum

                            My advice Boobylops, would be not to rely solely on any advice you get in this forum in this instance.

                            (Yes I realise that is a bit paradoxical).

                            The forum at PSO is a great place for general advice, information and communication, both from the staff and the peer players, as the majority do their best to help each other. However, in a case like this where you risk losing your PS account if you inadvertently infringe a TOS, I would make sure you get the advice from the horses mouth, PokerStars, via their support team. Check out all their online info first and if anything isn't absolutely clear ask them specific questions.

                            In the meantime - here at PSO you and your protege should both be able to access and partake in all the learning resources, including I would imagine, both participating in live training sessions.

                            Good luck - and remember never to let the student get better than the teacher.

                            Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
                            4 Time Bracelet Winner


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
                              My advice Boobylops, would be not to rely solely on any advice you get in this forum in this instance.
                              I meant a definitive answer from Hostmichael either way he needs to contact support

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.