PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of the Week #36 | Closed for Entry

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the Week #36 | Closed for Entry

Answer our 'Question of the Week' for a chance to win prizes. This is a great way to participate in the forum so that we can get to know each other and learn about poker together.

This weeks question is:

What's your thought process when playing in a poker hand? And what in your opinion are the 3 most important things to consider?

At least 40 words are needed to qualify as an entry, please give as much info as possible.
    The more detail you give the better chance you have to win!

Post your answer below!

A new 'Question of the Week' will be posted every Monday morning, you have until Sunday to post your answers, the winners will be chosen by our Moderation Team.

The member with the best answer as judged by the Moderation Team will win, 1 or 2 word answers will not count, copied answers will not count, answers that do not make sense will not count.

Prizes
    1st - 25T$ + Community Ticket
    2nd & 3rd - 5T$ + a Community Tournament Ticket.

Winners will be announced every Monday morning in the Poker Promotions section of our poker forum and all prizes will be awarded within 48 hours of the winners being announced.

*Terms & Conditions
    • PokerStars School Staff such as Community Manager, Moderators or Trainers will not be eligible for any prizes.
    • All cash prizes are awarded in T$ Tournament Dollars.
    • Spam posts will be removed.
    • This promotion is run by Poker School who reserve the right to amend, edit or change the promotion in any way deemed fit without prior notice.
    • The decision of Poker School will be final in all circumstances.
    • Some accounts may not be eligible for tournament dollars or real money tickets. Poker School shall offer no compensation to any member should their account not be eligible for any prize.
    • Players must be over 18+ to take part in any PokerStars School Promotion.
    • Check out our general promotional Terms & Conditions for further details.
    Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

My first job during poker hand is to see my position on the table and the relative stack that i have. This should be done while the cards are dealt. Based on that information i already have a range of hands that i will not play for sure and other range that i will play depending on other player's actions. When i see my cards i now have idea if to play or not in this hand and how exactly. Postflop i consider similar factors - position, stack size, betting history on previous streets and of course the profile of the other player(s) and cards on the table.

Comment

In most cases, i look around the table and get to know each players habits, maybe he's very tight and 3 bet my A10, i would definitly fold it, but is there a loose player who 3 bets me, i would consider to continue to play! Most important ist your position at the table! Always try to have position on your opponents, it's worth it!
      3 Things to Consider:
      1. Your position at the table!
      2. Know your enemies, think about what their range is, you will not always be right with your assessment, but often!
      3. Stack size, for example, is there a short stack, it doesn't make sense to hunt your flushdraw / straight against him, because there is a small amount of money behind him when you hit your monster!
      Cheers and alway good poker!

Comment

What's your thought process when playing in a poker hand? And what in your opinion are the 3 most important things to consider?

Assuming we are playing NLHE.

Excellent question!! Let me try to answer without resorting to a "cheat sheet". I do remember that the first poker book I ever read, "Poker: The Real Deal" by Phil Gordon (a great beginner book, in my opinion) had a checklist of ALL the things to consider when it was your turn to act. Let's see how much I remember! LOL!

In no particular order for now:

1. What position am I in at the table?
        2. Are my hole cards good enough to play in this position, against my current set of opponents?
        3. Should I fold (most often used tool in my toolbox), raise (2nd most used tool, and should usually be used to open a hand - aggression is GOOD!), or call (least used tool in my toolbox, only used when "fold" or "raise" is not appropriate, or maybe occasionally to "trap") or do I check (if pot has already been opened, or it folds to me in the BB and a re-raise is not warranted )
        4. who are my opponents? who is likely to re-raise, call or fold to my opening raise?
        5. what is my stack size relative to the other players at the table? Am I in a shove/fold situation? (short-stacked) and if so is this an appropriate time to shove?
        6. what is my current table image? How do my opponents see me? Nitty, average, loose, maniac? How likely am I going to be called/re-raised if I enter this pot?
        7. If it's a tournament, how far away am I from the money? Do I play extremely tight (with a short stack) to get past the bubble, or be aggressive (with a bigger stack) to take advantage of those who are trying to last until the money bubble bursts?
        8. are the best players on my left, my right, or some combination of both? How will the position of the villains relative to my position effect how I should play this hand?
        If it's a cash game, do I consider leaving the table/changing seats if I am in a poor seat position relative to my opponents?
        9. do I have any reads on my opponents? (tight, loose, maniac, etc)
        10. do I have a sense of what ranges my opponents are playing?
        11. have my opponents been able to put ME on a range? what is that range likely to be perceived as?
        12. are my opponents capable (skilled enough) to be able to fold to a bluff? If not, DON'T bluff!!!
        13, If playing at a high skill level, are my opponents aware of concepts like ICM and GTO? How much do I need to balance my ranges?

I know there are more, but that's what I can think of for now. Top 3 factors to consider. Tough one, as they all have value, but if forced to choose I will say:

1. #1 - position
        2. #3 - what is my best play here?
        3. #4 - who are my opponents and what are they likely to do in response to MY action?

I'd say #2 - what are my hole cards and #5 my relative stack size - are also very important and likely next on the decision list.

Thanks!

Good luck to all on the tables! (Unless you are heads up with me! LOL)

Have a great poker day!

...................................curler1964

Comment

At the poker tables, I look at my cards and if they are good, then I would probably raise.

Then the flop comes and would either bet or check depending on the board. Repeat on the turn and river.

Sometimes I would value bet, sometimes I would bluff, depending on the situation.

The 3 most important things to consider are:

1) Hand Range - What hand am I trying to rep

2) Can I bluff - Cannot bluff calling stations, otherwise worth a try

3) How much to value bet - depends on how strong of a hand I think the opponent has

Good luck at the tables!

Comment

What a good question and I was only thinking about this the other day and where my shortfalls are

Hopefully its not the first hand so I have notes and profiles on players so i look at the effective stack size and my position plus the position of the opener . Next i decide whether to call fold or reraise and then on the flop work out the pot odds and decide how to play.But its good to plan ahead for example if its a manic who you know is going to bet 3 streets then the flop decision becomes even more important as things can esculate pretty quickly

The 3 most important things to consider I would say are position,stack size and pot odds although both the type of player you are up against and the stage of the tournament are also very important

So all in all theres a lot to think about however with practice it becomes easier

Of course bet sizing is another thing to consider I just remembered that one & its also good to have a process as it cuts down on tilt

Comment

For me the 3 most important things to concider are a little different for me than what have been listed here so far. Of course I agree with everyone that position is #1. But part of position is after Ive watched a few hands is , where are the players I can exploit especially with c_bets. Most of the time hands miss the flop so a c-bet or a second barrel can win a lot of pots. Unless I have a monster I dont try to build a pot. I try to win the blinds and antes. Every set of blinds and antes you steal is 9 free hands you get to see. One full round of poker paid for. Out of all the free hands I then look for that monster hand. So the second most important factor I concider is the playing style of my opponents. Nits and TAGs are my favorite. They fold the easiest and if the TAGs dont fold, they raise so I know my steal didnt work this time go ahead and fold. LAGs and maniacs I try to avoid until I find that monster hand. The 3rd most important thing I consider is my opponents range and their ranges relationship to the flop. Because my cards dont matter so much, its what I can make them think my cards or range is.This is where position comes back into into play. Most players that build ranges start out preflop with what they would open with or what lots articles tell them players open with. So an open in early position they automaticly think its a big hand like top 18-20% of hands. So Ive been finding that early position min raises then a large c-bet post flop 2/3 or 3/4 the pot will win a lot of pots. The min raise keeps the pot small but folds out a lot of hands, so then the 3/4 pot c-bet doesnt have to be so big incase they call. These are the most important things for me to concider until I get a sizable stack, then I switch to a variable style back and forth TAG to LAG. Matters how my opponents play and what I think their ranges are. But my hole cards dont really matter until I get that monster hand.

Comment

Three most important things,

1 my hole cards

2 opponents (habits/chip stacks/table positions)

3 combination of 1 & 2 ie. what value does the hand have considering the big(ger)picture

when im focused on my poker these are three of the main things I consider each and every hand I’m dealt!
                - in order to determine my play.

Comment

Hello and thank you for this question,
                  When a poker hand begins, several criterias come into play even without having seen those holds cards.
                  - My position in relation to the button
                  - The number of players at the table
                  - My stack compared to those of my opponents
                  - The image I currently have on this table
                  - The previous hands and the state of mind of the one who lost it

After observing all of these criteria we can begin to define our strategy all the way from preflop to river. Of course in relation to the strength of my hand and the criteria previously taken into account, I can already define several possible scenarios: Fold, limp or raise (or 3bet) prelop, and post-flop.
                  The 3 important things to consider in the course of a hand:
                  - The number of opponents in this hand
                  - The image of my opponents present in the hand
                  - The texture of the board

Of course, several other criteria are important, it is necessary to define a scenario from the beginning and possibly to adjust it according to the new variables (value of the card, revival of an adversaries,) but always to keep a strong and serious image.

Comment

The first 3 things that go through my head, and in my opinion the most important 3. 1. How strong is my starting hand, running through the numbers in my head pre flop and post flop. 2. Considering my position, relative to the strength of my hand. Reassessing after the flop. 3. What do i know about whos on my right and my left. Whats there stack size. How have they been playing. What possible hands could they have.

Comment

first think only about winning when I'm in the hand. It also depends on opponents. It's very difficult to make decisions because I play micro and low PKOs and BBs. Most of the players are there for fun, so it is very important to make and mark the players you play with and specific details. Micro and low tournaments give me a lot of fun on my streaming. The viewers are also delighted. I also need to have confidence, faith in victory and be strong mentally. I must say that the three most important items I focus on are:
                      your own style (chameleon)
                      think big
                      attention to opponents
                      good luck at the tables!

Comment

My thought process when playing in a hand is first I think how my cards play preflop, then I think about my position and then I look at what player I am playing against and what their ranges are. I believe the three most important things are:
                        • Your perceived range, what cards your opponents think you have. It doesn’t really matter if you have aces, it only matters what they think you have
                        • Opponents range: What cards your opponent can have. This is important because it defines what your bet will do to them
                        • Player type. What size of bets will your opponents call? If they’re incredibly loose, they are more likely to call than if they are nit.

Thank you and thats all

Comment

I don't usually post on here but I frequent daily and feel as though I can add a little to this thread. so...

''What's your thought process when playing in a poker hand? And what in your opinion are the 3 most important things to consider?''

I see everyone talking about position and we all know that position is king! but seeing as you asked ''when playing 'in' a poker hand'' I'm going to talk about post flop as pre flop I've already analysed my position at the table and the strength of my hold cards.

1. Board Texture: For me there are a few things every good poker player has to be able to do, and one of the most important is to be able to analyse the board texture. It’s the board texture-as well as other factors like your opponent, your own hand, and so on– that will help you decide what the best course of action will be. So me personally, I'm deciding whether the board is either wet, dry or ragged before considering anything else.

2, My opponent's range When you figure out how you play your ranges, you will know how others play theirs. People might be different, but they aren't that much different. I ask myself what I would have in his spot and than go from there. As you progress you will notice people try to deceive you with their range, but their bet patterns don't match their story most of the time, that's when you catch the fish and reel them in.

3.What am I trying to represent; I will sometimes "represent" certain hands in order to disguise a much stronger holding but always I'm trying to convey a story with my decisions.

I could go into more detail but I'm trying to concentrate on a tournament at the moment.
                          Keep up the excellent content pokerschool and to any new players who happen to stumble across this, Use this school to your full advantage, it's free and will improve your game ten fold. Good luck at the tables.

Comment

What the other players have been playing like when they wear tight aggressive starting hand pot size odds and position

Comment

When I first saw the question I thought it would be simple to answer. But then thinking about it I found out it isn't simple at all. But I will try.

As I understand the question I am playing the hand so the most important question is already answered. My hole cards , position , action before and after me decided prior to this question that I wanted to play.

The pre flop actions before and after me are for me a part of my post flop thought process. I am playing mostly micro stakes. At these stakes players limp in a lot . Often this means they are playing an Ace or suited cards or unsuited connectors. By re raising you can often pick up the pot pre flop.

But as it seems we went post flop.

The first thing looking at the flop and thinking back to the pre flop action I try to decide if the flop is better for me or better for the villain(s).

Secondly if I have some idea then I can react accordingly. Normally I am only calling a bet if I have the right odds to do so and I am only betting to make a better hand fold or a worse hand call.

Thirdly I have to figure out how much I can call or have to bet to make the better hands fold or the worse hands call.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.