PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of the Week #35 | Closed for Entry

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are quite a few game types offered on PokerStars which I greatly enjoy. First things first, the variant of Poker I most enjoy is NLHE as I have the most personal history with this one and also I believe at least a grasp of the fundamentals. Other variants, such as Omaha, Stud or Draw (All played last during the MicroMillions event) are also quite fun but I have not really delved deeply into the strategic concepts and thus I am lacking confidence for those games.

But even when considering NLHE there are a variety of games offered on PokerStars and here are my favorites in ascending order (including my personal #1):
    • Cash Games (6-Max): When starting out I often tried cash games and found them a great way to play lots of poker without the ever increasing pressure due to the blinds increasing. This gave me a lot of time to observe and pratice and I still like to play this format when I want to play low pressure poker. I prefer 6 handed play because it requires more aggresive plays (something that I still need more practice at)
    • MTTs (not knockout): These offer a massive playing field, lots of action and enticing prizes. Unfortunately they tend to take a great deal of time, something I am unfortunately somewhat short on. Still they are always a great deal of fun to play. The reason I currently do not really like KO tournaments is because I still haven't figured out how to deal with the sometimes outright crazy amount of variance that comes into play with the promise of quick cash for a KO. Here there is a lot of room for improvement on my side
    • STTs: While not as grand and not offering as much in prizes, STTs take significantly less time, still offer lots of possibilities to play great poker and are a solid choice for anyone to learn the game and also a great preparation for MTTs, as you will definitely get experience with moving from 9-handed play to heads-up play several times. And should you make the final table in an MTT, this will definitely be extremely valuable as prizes start to really increase for every player knocked out before you are!
    • Spin and Go (Standard Variant): Hands down my favorite game. Yes it is high variance, but the promise of a huge payout along with quick games and often opponents who are playing less than optimal (this happens both if the multiplier is only (Player's get disinterested) or if the multiplier is quite high (players tighten up too much) make this a great game.
    Cheers,
    Guidewolf

-

Comment

currently my favourite format on PokerStars is zoom and why i enjoy playing it the most is because its hard an fast

Comment

My favourite format is that great action game Pot Limit Omaha cash ZOOM. There are 2 reasons this is my favourite and why I can recommend it to anyone and these are the great action you get playing it and the PLO friendly rake structure at Pokerstars.

If you have read Pete Clarke's and Dave Roemer's recent Pokerschool articles you'll begin to see the excitement that PLO cash games can generate. And if they fail to convince you just have a look at the profits that 'cumicon' made playing PLO, albeit from Heads-up play. The Zoom format is great as there is an enormous player pool. Over the last year I have played against 20,000 opponents which is a tremendous reservoir of varied talent. Every hand you are pitched against another set of five players, which means you don't get stuck in a 'bad seat' with an aggro big stacked player in the seat behind you. It is a great action game with lots of potential for making a profit. I also think the game is not as well analysed as NLHE and so offers some room for beating the game with your own style.

There is no question that the starting hands and post flop hands run much closer in equity than NLHE hands, which leads to greater variance. Luckily, Pokerstars recognises this and so they have a PLO friendly reduced rake structure for the micro-stakes. The 3.3% rake at PLO2 and 3.9% at PLO5 provides a great environment for beginners to try the game out without a punitive rake. As soon as I can build up a decent bankroll I want to be moving through the low, medium and high stakes and even though the headline rake is higher at these levels, the rake is capped. This means that when you get it all-in 100BB deep against another opponent, which frequently happens in PLO, the effective rake is still low.

I can't deny, I love this game and hope to see more players trying it out. Give it a go, its fun.

Comment

What's currently your favourite format on PokerStars and why?

For me the best format is PKO and Bounty Builders it's where players expect LAG/TAG styles to win and where they panic the most and call with second best hands the most of the times on *****d rivers I like BB and PKO because I can have a certain edge when I play them I play to build my stack and survive the first 2 hours and start to balance my ranges for deeper runs if I catch a good occasion I start my ICM on pay jumps and always target Survivals and Next pays. Lucky or Skilled enough to rach the last 3 tables Target a double up and a FT will be my focus and if we are on the FT we try to get the title (be patient for 3 or 4 players to bust then ny that time you will have a full understanding of your opponnent ranges and start varrying maximum your game in 4 handed and 3 handed stages narrow up your ranges and make Heads ups your goal. If Hu is offered be borring and slow for half an hour hhhhh then make the run All in style.

Which game type do you play the most?
          I play most of the time Texas NLH but I am good at PLO and Omaha 5cards Draw. Never played Stud,Courchevel Razz etc for real money but I did good results In Vanessa Kade home games and some homegames or freerolls.

Comment

I like spin and go and zoom...probably because its more easier for a beginner ... wish I could be a better player but one thing at the time. Maybe with all the courses i will be at least no so bad one day ! Good luck guys

Comment

Hi guys!
              Bounty Builders and KO are my favourite formats on Pokerstars. I also play a lot of regular MTT and S&G (and some Spin&Go), however turneys with extra money for eliminating other players are the most enjoyable and appealing for me. The reason for this is the fact of being able to gather extra profit. This is really good to built bankroll faster, not to mention that in case you get eliminated before the paid places then it's not so frustrating coz you might have already gathered enough in bounties to cover the entry fee. If you make it for the paid stage then bounties it's a bonus however it takes a bit of pressure off (meaning early finish does not always mean no money won). Good luck @ the tables folks!

Comment

My favourite format to play is the Spin and Go Max, because the game is challenging with its quick play and I like the random prizes you can win. My favourite game to play is No Limit Hold em regardless of the buy in or field.

Comment

I have to say that my favorite game is SpinMax...fast only 24 hands...a bit lotto in the end...
                  In tournys I like to play "skill" games like H.O.R.S.E or 8 game..Usually field is fishy who do not understand games...But sadly they are long games so i play them in the weekends...
                  Zoom tournys are much fun...just need patience and a bit luck...

Comment

I play both Omaha and Texas Holdem.To me the excitement that Texas Holdem brings doesn't even compare to each other.Omaha is Kinda like playing limit holdem where you are gonna get chased to the river ,because of the the possibilities of combination hands.I think Texas Holdem will stay the King of poker games for awhile.Some peeps might say totally opposite of how I compare the two games,dunno.

Comment

My favorite format is classic Texas Hold'em No Limit MTT. When you see the number of registered players in other formats, it is easy to see that this is the most popular poker format in general. Other features: starting stack, speed, blind level are medium for everything. I don't like: ante (if it's too big), rebyu and add on. It often happens that the tournament I play does not have some of my favorite features, but I equally enjoy it.
                      Occasionally I also play some tournaments in other formats such as Stud, Stud Hi / Lo, Razz, Omaha, Omaha Hi / Lo, Badugi and this tournaments are refreshments for me. Although I don't have much experience in these formats, it happens that I get into the prizes and it gives me more pleasure than it is on Texas Hold'em.
                      I play poker recreationally and as long as the game gives me pleasure, all formats are my favorite.

Comment

For me the best format his the bounty builder it's those tournaments I play the most you have to be careful a lot of players go of all Inn with no good card so if you play well you can build a big stack and win some bounty ,, that's why they as are my favorite

Comment

Well,there is no doubt that NLHE is my favorite type of game because,first of all,it's the most popular,meaning that the competition it's huge,taking great efforts to get to the top and the idea of making it to the top in such a popular game keeps my ambition to get there alive.With this undying ambition it's impossible for me to give up on this game and hopefully I will accomplish my dream of being one of the best.The second reason NLHE is my favorite is because it was the first poker game I ever played and the more I played it the more interested in it I was.So I started doing research about the top players,I saw that people like Daniel Negreanu,Phil Ivey,Phil Helmuth and many others made a fruitful living out of playing this game and from that moment on I can say I got addicted to this game.I played every single mirco stakes NLHE game on Pokerstars and my favorites are definitely the freezout MTTs because of numerous reasons.One of the reasons is that you can turn something like 5$ into 1k $ (maybe even more) if you win the tournament and that is a massive bankroll booster.Of course with such great payouts there must be a huge competition in those MTTs,but as I said I love a huge competition,because the bigger it is the bigger the happiness when you win the tournament.Another reason is that by playing those MTTs I improved my game a lot because I was making a lot of mistakes (and everybody knows that freezout tournaments don't include the re-buy option so a mistake might cost the tournament life).I was rarely cashing in any tournament and it was really really annoying so I started learning more poker from videos and books and I got to a point where I could corretly review a hand,being able to analyse the hands that I played wrong,that led to me busting a tournament,basically I started learning from my mistakes and I am still learning and I will always be learning.One more reason that makes me love the MTTs is that,besides the big payouts,by winning a tournament I feel really proud,I feel like that is my moment of glory and that spending so much time on learning poker really paid off.Those are the reasons why I am in love with the NLHE freezout tournaments and I am positive that this will never change.

Comment

Greetings, Chancers!

Texas NL Holdem Zoom Sit&Go is my current favorite format from the wide range of Poker Universe.
                            Simply because of speed of play the progress is made much faster.
                            Win or loose the choices are more weighted towards your decision making accuracy, not bluffing, limping, etc.

See you at the tables, tough guys.

Comment

Definetky the spin and gos . $5 $7 buy in for the most part .. I also like to play the triple threat sit and gos ! And even some freerolls.. i prefer no limit Texas Hold em . Thank you and good luck

Comment

im playing alot of zoom games .. en alot of spin&go's . because with spin and go the games are relative short so thats fast money to win .. and zoom games because you can play your own speed and somehow its just playing nice and smooth

Comment

Working...
                                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.