PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of the Week #30 | Closed

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the Week #30 | Closed

Here at PokerStars School we love the idea of helping a player on their way to a big win. That's why we create such promotions as our latest offering, the Path to Sunday Million promotion. If you haven't already seen it then check it out, as it could help you on your way to earning a free entry to this prestigious tournament, and who knows, maybe becoming a Sunday Million champ!

For this week's 'Question of the Week' we want to ask you what steps you would take to prepare for such a big tournament.

This weeks question is:

What would be your 3 top tips to prepare for a big online tournament like the Sunday Million?

At least 40 words are needed to qualify as an entry, please give as much info as possible.
    The more detail you give the better chance you have to win!

Post your answer below!

A new 'Question of the Week' will be posted every Monday morning, you have until Sunday to post your answers, the winners will be chosen by our Moderation Team.

The member with the best answer as judged by the Moderation Team will win, 1 or 2 word answers will not count, copied answers will not count, answers that do not make sense will not count.

Prizes
    1st - 25T$ + Path to Sunday Million EN Ticket
    2nd & 3rd - Path to Sunday Million EN Ticket

The Moderation Team will award Path to Sunday Million EN Tickets to 7 more players as spot prizes.

Winners will be announced every Monday morning in the Poker Promotions section of our poker forum and all prizes will be awarded within 48 hours of the winners being announced.

*Terms & Conditions
    • PokerStars School Staff such as Community Manager, Moderators or Trainers will not be eligible for any prizes.
    • All cash prizes are awarded in T$ Tournament Dollars.
    • The 1st place winner of Question of the Week can only award 5T$ to another eligible School Member.
    • Spam posts will be removed.
    • This promotion is run by Poker School who reserve the right to amend, edit or change the promotion in any way deemed fit without prior notice.
    • The decision of Poker School will be final in all circumstances.
    • Some accounts may not be eligible for tournament dollars or real money tickets. Poker School shall offer no compensation to any member should their account not be eligible for any prize.
    • Players must be over 18+ to take part in any PokerStars School Promotion.
    • Check out our general promotional Terms & Conditions for further details.
    Last edited by royalraise85; Wed Jul 10, 2019, 03:48 PM.
    Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

My top 3 tips to prepare for a big online tournament are:
    1.During a period of let's say 10 days before the tournament I recommend getting your mind cleansed so you can think straight and play your A game.What I mean by getting your mind cleansed is during that period I mentioned,try to accumulate as less stress,anger,sadness (negativity),because playing a big tournament is like a big shot to a huge payday,in some cases getting at the final table it might change your life forever and from my own experience I'm telling you,playing with all that negativity you accumulated during the week will mess up your thoughts,for example I would say my main skill in poker it's observing,I mean after 10 minutes of playing I can already see how I can exploit my opponents and trust me this brings a huge profit in this game,but one time I was playing a 100$+ (can't remember the exact amount around 110$ maybe,anyway that doesn't matter that much) buy-in tournament and I really had a bad week and I couldn't focus on the game,the only thing I was thinking about was how bad my week was and after 30 minutes of playing I had no information about my opponents at all and I ended up being exploited myself and every cooler/bad beat was like more gas on the negativity flame (you know what I mean),so that negativity I accumulated really messed my game up.Furthermore by cleansing your mind I also want to say that during that period I mentioned you should spent as less time as you can in front of a screen,because the more time you spend in front of a screen,the more tired your eyes get,I remember there were days I couldn't stay up more than 10 pm because I was playing like 8 hrs/day and I was really really tired every time I woke up.Also,if you are into that party lifestyle you should cut it off for a short period because I don't have to say more than `hangover`.
    2.Of course,one of everybody's tips is going to be:''Practice a little or more before the tournament",I mean this is pretty obvious,everybody would practice before playing the big shot I was talking about earlier,I mean here I just can't recommend you how to practice,everybody knows how to practice I mean you just play some similar tournaments before the big one to see what mistakes you are doing and stop doing them and also to warm-up a little.In my opinion,1 tournament per day should be enough,so your mind can get cleansed as well.Not that really much to talk about here.
    3.The 3rd tip applies a short time before the tournament starts,as many tournaments last a long period of hours you will need to prepare yourself so you can last as much as the tournament lasts if needed,an energy drink should help you a lot in this spot,for me it works it keeps me up and I don't get tired for a long period of time so I can keep playing my A game.Also you should avoid war milk and things that are doing the opposite of the energy drinks.

Comment

OK I'm going to be honest, I have never entered a tournament like the Sunday Million, the reason being that my bankroll doesn't really stack up for the entry fee and I have a busy family life that makes the marathon tournaments difficult to find time for. That has been a pity. However, I think my family would agree that an occasional shot at a big win would be worth the sacrifice they would have to make. So basically I don't know how to prepare for a big tournament and I have had to borrow some tips from some professional players and added one myself.

Chris Moorman, lists understanding the fundamentals of play, not copying fancy moves. I know I still have much to learn so reviewing a selection of learning material in the week before the tournament will be a must for me. He lists the maths behind decisions as part of this. Then he says you have to practice, he says you can do this by practicing the things you learn at the micro-stakes. In the week before I'd get into a few micro-stake games and try some of the principles and fundamentals I've learnt. He goes on to point out that whilst playing is important you need to study your game, what went right and what went wrong and he points to his poker friends who help him with advice. I can relate to this easily with conducting my own reviews and seeking the advice of the community in the Pokerschool.

Chris Moneymaker, says he prepares by getting a good nights sleep before a big tournament. I can really understand the importance of this as staying sharper longer has got to help the chances of a deeper run. He also says he gets a little exercise a few hours before the tournament to increase blood flow to the brain. He eats a meal about half an hour before the tournament to allow time for it to digest and then eats snacks through the tournament. He doesn't want the food to make him feel sluggish during the tournament because the importance of the decisions increase as the tournament progresses. He then does a little meditation to clear his mind. Following his advice I'm having Sunday Lunch around 4 UK time, after going on a decent bike ride in the morning. Then I'm getting a load of small healthy snacks that I can grab out of the fridge through the tournament. Finally before the Sunday Million begins I'm clearing my mind and focussing on finding the right mental attitude for the tournament.

My third and final tip is my own and might not be relevant to other poker players. I enjoy playing poker but I do remind myself that my family is more important and I have to strike a good balance between giving them the attention they deserve and the attention poker deserves. This is really important when it comes to a big tournament, as I won't be available to complete the parental duties like helping with homework or getting the children to bed. If I survive to the final stages all the negative aspects of losing sleep will come into play. I know I've said it before but it isn't just me that needs preparation, my family also needs preparation so they can appreciate the cost/benefits of a chance at a big win.

Comment

Tournaments like Sunday million are rated as one of the highest, top competitions in online poker world.
        My top 3 tips are:
        1. Be prepared physically and mentally for a 10 hours long poker game ,during the whole night (if you're based in Europe) by watching previous tourneys of its kind, from the beginning to the end and try to pay attention ,training your stamina and focus to last as longer as possible.
        2. Built a solid strategy ,whatever that means to you.Practice a lot and build arsenal of strategies ,that fits suitable, based on your style of play.Perfect your strategy to a moment you completely trust it and would not regret about anything of it.
        3. Read 1. and 2. again and be sure you got that ,especially if you not a millionaire to whom playing Sunday million is like going to Zoo Park just to see the wild animals. lol
        Good Luck !

Comment

Playing the Sunday Million I would think you must know the game by now...………….

so that being said...…………….

1- I would get a very good nights sleep the day before the game

2- I would make sure to eat a big meal so hunger would not be a problem during the game, with some snacks/drinks beside me while playing

3- but most of all......………..I would get into the right mindset...…….....knowing that having a positive mindset will affect on how I play the game

cheers all
          Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

And after all said, i think it's time for small critique as well...Not sure, if anyone read that ,but guys...Money inflation goes permanently up for the last 20 years...That means value of the money goes less valuable every single minute...The idea to make buy in of Sunday Million from 215$ to 109$ is exactly the opposite of the inflation...That make the so called "prestigious" tournament not so prestigious anymore (half less prestigious)...Paying half of the entry put a player in position of playing double amount of opponents field from 5+k participants to 10+k at the moment and at same time it reduces the reward for first place from 200+k to 100 k...That makes tournament two times more difficult ,with two times less rewards just for 100$ entry price less...I don't think there is a single poker pro ,who is happy with that ,and that makes the Sunday million
            kind of ungrateful and downgraded compared to older format ...And the money inflation rises every minute!!!That 109$ buy in does not make any sense to me...

Comment

What would be your 3 top tips to prepare for a big online tournament like the Sunday Million?

First (and most important) I would have played at least one million hands of NL Hold'em, and have learned many innumerable lessons about the game along the way.
              Second (and also most important) I resolve to be prepared to win on game day by eating, sleeping, praying blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Like everyone who wins these things says.
              Third (personal preference, because it provides comfort) I study on the PokerTracker ICM tool. Especially the 'quiz' tool, because it gives great feedback on whether or not I am making correct decisions.
              5 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

My top tips would be too practice and get a good sleep. Take a look at the tournament structure and note that the levels are longer and you start off deeper than many of the low buyin games, this means you have time as its the opposite of a shovefest. Assuming your properly bankrolled to play i n the Sunday million dont play scared and ive even heard its a soft field for such a high buyin but the better players on average should go deeper. Also having some pre prepared snacks would be a good idea as if you play & run well you could be playing for a long time.

Well you asked for top 3 so I would say sleep, practice and Proper Bankroll Management

Comment

Here are my steps:

1. Ensure that you are in good physical and mental shape. You should not be tired or emotionally unstable to be able to play your A game during such long multi hour tournament.
                  2. Review your strategy and adapt it to such type of long and relatively slow tournament.
                  3. Review your tasks during the day so that you have enough time for preparation and also to play the tournament till its end. You need to focus on the game and not on other tasks that need to be done this day.

Comment

Everyone has their own ritual and obviously being well rested the night before is going to make a huge impact on your concentration and temperament during the tournament. I would generally get a massage the night before, watch inspiring video and eat a light meal. After that I make my physical preparations around my computer. I don't play a lot anymore because of other obligations but here was my ritual.

Make sure you have pee jars or empty gatorade bottles within distance because when you gotta go, you gotta go. I can't count how many times I'd miss out on a monster pot because I had to get up to pee when I was first starting out. It will tilt the beep out of you.

Have nutritious snacks prepared. In my case I would eat hummus/pita bread and blueberries. The hummus has some kind of enzyme that fills you up and curbs desires for junk food. The blueberries will help you stay focused and taste delicious. I know it's not healthiest option but I'd also have multiple Monster Energy drinks on hand just in case I got deep and was starting to feel tired. For me, that particular energy drink gave me the longest kick compared to others on the market.

Try to avoid negativity of any kind, period. When I was at my peak I tried to avoid any uncomfortable social situations that would give me even the slightest bad vibe and I would isolate myself and immerse myself into the game. I frequented the gym for swimming, sauna and steam room to get rid of toxins and feel great. I always kept my phone off during grind time. I would have a music playlist with my go-to songs and if a particular song was playing during a good stretch of cards I'd play the song continuously. I know some people get bored during tournaments and like to watch shows/movies on a side screen but I would typically avoid in big tournament because I'd find myself getting distracted and lose my passion towards the game.

Thanks to anyone for reading and good luck at the tables. I hope this helps.

Comment

Good day, I want everyone. It's important to be restful, 1. Get well before the tournament
                      I also have to be a pure mind ...
                      2. Stay focused
                      To have a winning mentality and spirit, you have to think positively and just about winning with your own strategy
                      3, Think Big
                      Good luck to all at the tables

Comment

Hi All,

Taking into consideration that most of the players who actively participate in different promotions organized by PokerStarts School Team - are beginners, I would like to recommend few tips which would definitely help you in understanding better poker and would definitely help you with Sunday Million game as well:

1. Complete several times the Path to Sunday Million course.

2. Read several times 'Harrington on Hold'em Vol.1' and 'Harrington on Hold'em Vol.2' by Dan Harrington.

3. Read several times "The Mental Game Of Poker" by Jared Tendler.

Above content should help you improving your game and don't forget to practice more!

Thank you and good luck to All!

Comment

Hi guys! Here are my 3 tips:
                          1. Stay focused and keep positive mindset during the whole tourney, do not get distracted with hands you do not participate and do not get discouraged/tilted if sth goes wrong in the hands you do participate.
                          2. Use breaks in the tourney to stretch a bit and get some fresh air to keep yourself awake, also have some food and drinks around to refuel when needed.
                          3. Play with caution and avoid going all-in on the preflop - even AA can get beaten by some weird cards that are "someone's favourite", use position and suited connectors to try stealing blinds but not too often, mix strategies and change styles of play to surprise the opponents at the table.
                          Good luck at the tables!

Comment

How to win Sunday Million:
                            1. Be patient and positive
                            2. Pre work out in the budget, but the massive tournaments
                            3. Re-read again useful articles on pokerstarsschool

These actions are written succinctly, but their exact execution should lead to success. It is necessary to be ready for a successful alignment of cards to reach the final table!

Comment

The essentials water ,snacks ,comfy chair .Sit tight let the bingo crowd get eating up .Eye on the prize final table at least

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.