PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question of the Week #21 (Closed for Entries)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the Week #21 (Closed for Entries)

Answer our 'Question of the Week' for a chance to win prizes. This is a great way to participate in the forum so that we can get to know each other and learn about poker together.

The Spring Championship of Online Poker (SCOOP) kick-offs on May 12th and there's more than $115,000,000 GTD! Find out how you can win free tickets to SCOOP tournaments here.

This weeks question is:
    What are your top 3 tips for winning big poker tournaments?

At least 40 words or more are needed to qualify as an entry. The more detail you give the better chance you have to win!

Post your answer below!

A new 'Question of the Week' will be posted every Monday morning, you have until Sunday to post your answers, the winners will be chosen by our Moderation Team.

The member with the best answer as judged by the Moderation Team will win, 1 or 2 word answers will not count, copied answers will not count, answers that do not make sense will not count.

Prizes
    1st - 25T$ + Community Ticket
    2nd & 3rd - Win a Community Tournament Ticket.*

The winner will receive 25T$. The Moderation Team may award more 5T$ as spot prizes each week.

Winners will be announced every Monday morning in the Poker Promotions section of our poker forum and all prizes will be awarded within 48 hours of the winners being announced.

*Terms & Conditions
    • PokerStars School Staff such as Community Manager, Moderators or Trainers will not be eligible for any prizes.
    • All cash prizes are awarded in T$ Tournament Dollars.
    • Spam posts will be removed.
    • This promotion is run by Poker School who reserve the right to amend, edit or change the promotion in any way deemed fit without prior notice.
    • The decision of Poker School will be final in all circumstances.
    • Some accounts may not be eligible for tournament dollars or real money tickets. Poker School shall offer no compensation to any member should their account not be eligible for any prize.
    • Players must be over 18+ to take part in any PokerStars School Promotion.
    • Check out our general promotional Terms & Conditions for further details.
    Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

1. Take time....
    You don´t need to rush things big tournaments last over 10 hours...so keep your head cool and relax...
    First hand TT is not auto all in...just relax and find your spot...
    Also think: can you play till the end or is next day work, school more important.
    Basically keep your game tight and simple...early stages are tricky...

2. Analyze
    Keep your mind in the game...Give 100% to the tournament....Observe who is T, TAG, LAG, AGRO.....find out how they play and use it in your advantage....

3.The END Mindset
    If the END happens(hopefully after deep run)...then THINK...what happened...how happened...analyze it...And most of all...It´s not the end of the world...Just GG and move on...Next big tournament is just starting and waiting you to crush it....

Comment

1. This is not a sprint, this is a marathon :

You never win a big tournament with deep structure in the early stages but you can lose it, so take it easy, step by step, don't pull a 3-barrel bluff in the first levels if you don't have a real and effective sample of hands against your opponent. Analyse your table, take your time, take notes on players. Don't gamble your tournament if you are convinced that it is a coinflip, just wait for better spots. You will get them eventually.

2. Mental and physical strength :

Once again, when it comes to big tournament, the structure is most of the time very deep. You can start with 200BB+. You then need to stay focused, handle the bad beats and the good run smoothly, stay calm and positive in your head. You also need to be prepared to play approimately ten hours two or even three days in a row. Your physical condition is then essential : sleep tight, eat healthy, do some sport if you got time. Never play lying on your bed ! Keeping your composure is the key.

3. Get lucky, but don't count on luck!

Well, this is not an advice but this is obvious : you need to win flips, to get set-up in your favor, if you wanna go very deep in a big tournament. But to avoid this ineluctable part of luck in the game of poker, just try to go all-in as rarely as possible. Don't put your entire tournament on the line in tricky spots, play rather small ball to handle variance. If you manage to build a stack above average, just put the pressure on medium/medium-low stacks, especially near the bubble. Then as I said, may be the poker gods be with you!

Comment

1. Be As Tight As Possible in the Early Stages

Many poker players play way too many hands during the early stages of a tournament. 2. Good Tournament Poker is Aggressive Tournament Poker

No matter the stage of the tournament aggressive play is almost always the better play.
        • You don’t limp, you raise
        • You don’t call, you re-raise
        • You don’t check the flop, you bet
        3. Small Bets with Big Chips

Many amateur players get their bet sizes very wrong in the later stages of a tournament, which can be very costly.

Comment

1. Be Prepared For a Long Session

Most of these low buy-in, big field tournaments take several hours to complete, so you need to be prepared to play for a long time. Be patient as always, but also be ready for a lengthy grind should you go deep in the event.

I’ve been fortunate enough to chop the $3.30 rebuy on PokerStars twice. On both occasions the tournament started at around 7:00 p.m and we finished at 6:30 a.m. This is all well and good if you are a poker pro who can sleep the next day, but you have to take into consideration work commitments if you have a job. Know what you’re potentially getting yourself into when registering for these events.

2. Be Prepared For Some Crazy Swings

The variance in small stakes poker tournaments is huge because of the sheer number of opponents you have to get through and the fact many of these opponents can be nearly impossible to put on a hand. Also of significance when playing against a large field full of recreational players is the possibility of players calling your raises — even your all-in ones — with some ridiculous holdings, adding further to the unpredictability of outcomes.

While this situation is very favorable in the long run, over the short term you can often find yourself running worse than you ever thought possible. Make sure therefore you have an ample bankroll to fall back on when times are hard — something in the range of 200-300 times of your average buy-in (I’d recommend).

3. Keep it Simple and Value Bet Your Hands to the Max

DO NOT try to run an elaborate bluff at any stage of the tournament because it will only lead to tears of sorrow. A lot of your opponents only care what cards they have in their hand and won’t realize from your actions that you’re representing a specific hand — they just want to get to showdown and hopefully win.

Along the same lines, make sure you get the maximum value from your made hands. Higher-stakes tournament grinders may routinely fire 1/3 pot-sized bets at their opponents, but that’s because it is more difficult to get paid off at those stakes. At the lower end of the spectrum, you can get away with betting more. Because so many of your opponents will love to call your bets, you may as well take advantage with your strong holdings.

Comment

Advise1.
            Positive thinking
            Before the tournament get some rest, good rest will clear your mind, then try to think positive eat helpfully this will charge you with positive energy.
            Then get prepared for for long session hours.
            The most important is to dont lose self confedence in tournament.

Advise ​​​​​2.
            Little time before the start try remember about your bad mistakes and what you can do about them, what needs to be upgraded in your playstyle, if you have a little bid experience this can be good advantage for you try to fix and find your best way for play.
            If you get bad beats this can shake you dont get too agressive or too tight try to find your balance and the best way to back IN.

Advise3.

Never forget to expect every opportunities in every played hand..calculate them corecctly and try to extract everything which you can.
            Fix in your mind poker needs big self confedence, find your own balance way. Dont get risk your all acumulated chips unless it necessery everytime try to leave a way for backup.
            Thats all what my experience learn me and all what I doing for me it helps, Good Luck, the game is game be a player.
            ​​​
            ​​​​​

​​​​
            ​​​​

Comment

By big tournament im going to assume a SCOOP that is not turbo

1 Be patient and get reads. wheres its handy to pick up a few chips early the tournament cannot be won at the outset and only lost

2 Only play within your bankroll and use proper bankroll management

3 Dont tilt awayy your chips in a big tournament such as the micro millions the fields will be huge and to reach a final table is an achievement in itself, turn off social media and concentrate fully you can always see the funny cat video after the Tournament
              Last edited by rolo834; Tue May 07, 2019, 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Big tournaments can be very challenging both physically and mentally. Usually fields are big and you face many hours or even days of play and you need to constantly play your best game. For me following 3 tips are most important in such cases:

1. Prepare well both physically and mentally. You need to be fresh and full of energy if you want to be able to play for several hours at high level. You should sleep well for at least 8 hours the night before tournament. If this is tournament in another country it is good to get there two days before the tournament start because first night at foreign place people do not sleep well. This is natural. Time zone difference can also create problems for the first 24 hours if it is much different than your home time zone. Be sure to have with you some food and drinks to provide energy during the day of gameplay.

2. Adjust your strategy. These events are more like marathons than sprints. You need to be rather tight and do not risk your tournament life with more marginal hands especially in the beginning when you are deep stack. Usually such tournaments are slow and you start deep stack so that you have enough time to wait for some good hands.

3. Watch the other players on the table and adjust your strategy based on their gameplay. Do not loose your time when you are not in a hand by watching in your phone. Instead take your time to see any weaknesses in their gameplay which you can exploit.

Comment

I only have 2 online tournament wins to draw experience from, so based on my memories of those wins, here are my 3 tips to winning a big poker tournament.

You need to be seated comfortably. You could even lay down, if your on your laptop, whatever suits you best. Up to a point you can still put your full attention & concentration to what's going on, on screen. To win a big tournament is gunna take more than a few hours, so get comfortable & strap in for the long haul. I found, being in a room on my own, without any distractions is probably the best. Pretty standard in fact.

Don't Panic. Stay patient early on. Pay no attention to the early maniacs, shoving all in, what seems to be every hand. They'll either not be around much longer or they'll double up and return immediately to playing ABC poker.
                  Play with caution early in the tournament and pick your spots. Once you decide a spot has opened for you to enter a hand, it's imperative to be aggressive with it, especially early or with multiple opponents.

HAVE LADY LUCK ON YOUR SIDE.
                  In any tournament there will come a hand, where your defiantly second favourite to win. These always seem to be for all your stack too.
                  This is when you'll need all the lucky charms you OWN, or a prayer to the "Poker GODS" for your "ONE TIME"
                  There's no escaping this. Even those we consider to be the very best at poker need this at one point in a big tournament.
                  Good luck Fellas.

Comment

Howdy Folks,

Before it Starts,

Well the First thing is...……………...…….....

Go To The Bathroom

The Second Thing to do is......……………….

After doing you're business in the bathroom, put on a Adult Diaper

The Third thing is...………………..

Make sure you don't use any deodorant or cologne/perfume, and do not shower for a week.

Think about it......………….you will smell so bad, they will not think about the cards

You Got This

Cheers
                    Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

• TIP 1 Play your own game but don't make super crazy calls super soon and stay focused, Don't play to many tables at once if you're just starting to play poker keep calm and keep your head in the game, Play the tournament where you know you have strong points (Like) KO,HOLDEM- HOLDEM DEEP PAYOUT- OMAHA/HI/LO etc.
                      • TIP 2 Play with a bankroll to give yourself a good change to CASH/ WIN the tournament and play with a buy-in where if you lose or don't cash you don't get affected by it and ruin your game on the other tables you might be playing at... also keep drinking water make sure you eat during breaks and take those 5 minutes to clear your head if you just got a badbeat or something .
                      • TIP 3 Make sure you're sitting good and don't have people bothering you during your play. TAKE NOTES On players always this will be a big key to winning a tournament! Check back your old hands where you thought "Oh i made a mistake here" So you don't make those mistakes often or again..

Comment

I am only a rookie at poker and have not been playing for too long, my biggest win so far was $10 but i will only strive to get better and get bigger wins. That being said i do not have the most information on what would be best but from my studying through the pokerschool lessons i have learned 3 things that could help in playing, 1 being to be a tight player and not loose. the 2nd being that you should play aggresivley and to raise when you can and to not call in most situations if someone raises before you. the 3rd tip i could give is that you should always pay attetion to your hole cards as they can be the make of a hand, you should only try to play really strong hands and fold every weak hand you get, you should only play on average 15% of your hands.
                        thats all the information i can give to help and i hope this is enough to get me a prize to get me started on my adventure.

Comment

I'm preparing for SCOOP!
                          hello guys,
                          Firstly, we have to get mentally strong for big victories
                          sleep well, do not think about anything else except that you can do it!
                          Have faith in yourself and with knowledge, skills, victories will come from you ... it's a little different for online and live big tournaments
                          Here are my three tips for winning BIG are:
                          1. mental power (gud read, do not fall when you have a bad beat, timely reaction)
                          2. HUD if you use it (first of all when you get to know the opponents, please also apply to your knowledge that you would not make the wrong decisions for the numbers ...)
                          3rd factor of happiness and timing is very important in the game when you are close to winning ..
                          gud luck at the tables to all )
                          ps I hopee see you in SCOOP !

Comment

Be patient
                            be smart
                            be intelligent

Comment

I've never won one.

But there is always a first time, so these are the tips I'm going to follow for SCOOP. They won't be the best tips for everyone but they'll be the best for me.

First, keep fit in body and mind. By getting a load of miles done on my bike up some of the steepest local hills, I'll keep myself physically fit. For me that converts to mental fitness. I'll need to be on my A game at least.

Second, read and re-read as much strategy material as possible before the games, study how good players play hands and get some practice of the concepts in some real play at low stakes.

Third, remember winning a big tournament will involve some luck along the way and so to give luck the best chance I'll need to play as many tournaments as my bankroll allows, until luck shines on me.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.