PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bet Bankroll Consideration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bet Bankroll Consideration

When considering bankroll for big bet poker, is it best to think of it in terms of buy-ins to a particular game. For instance, for a $50 NL game, Geezer once suggested that a $500 bankroll was adequate (some of you may not consider this actual big bet poker, but that is not within the scope of this discussion).

I have found that there are times when swings in $50 NL games exceed $200 per session. I realize that I play a much higher variance game than geezer, since a lot of my play is based on pushing edges and making post flop moves. Even so, I had a session one night where I took 5 bad beats in a row after I got all my money in. These were terrible beats of 2 and 3 outs, so I am even wondering if the 10 buy-in strategy is consevative. As it turns out, I have gained most of that terrible streak back, but it got me to thinking about whether I was keeping a bust-proof bankroll in my account. I started at $250, got a $50 bonus, and got up over $900 before streaking all the way down to $500 and back up over $800. So, with these large swings (being primarily the result of winning or losing in key all-in situations), what is the proper bankroll amount in terms of buy-ins?

Whatever bankroll enables you to play without fear of busting I guess.

It's been a while and I am not certain I remember what I used to buy-in with. As I recall, I've never really needed more than 4X the buy-in when I played in these games in terms of swings, but I did need more to feel comfortable. In fact, you could probably reduce that to 2X the buy-in, in terms of the swings I experienced. Though when I played, whenever my opponents got lucky and put a beat on me, it didn't cost me that much. I seemed to win whenever I played for all the chips, so I was lucky in that sense. I find 10X is usually enough for me to play without fear of going broke. It probably depends on the characteristics of the games and yourself. 20X is probably more than enough for any winning player in general.

Comment

After several months of play at the max buyin games (PL/NL Hole 'Em and Omaha) I think the 10 buyins onsite is probably adequate for PL but prefer 20 for NL.

The high variance seems to come more from the fact that we choose to play only in certain types of games and those always must have chip burners in them. Chip burners will burn your chips from time to time.

Even with 20 buyins, you can go broke - even playing perfect. It's just not too likely in the numbers of hands I've seen. Between us (me 'n' Fillmore) we have probably only been dealt about 40,000 - 50,000 hands but that's about a year's live play so it's not a bad sampling.

We're not talking "going to Tahiti" money here, just a steady slave wage thing with no "benefits". I take many estimates of online winnings with a huge grain of salt, especially regarding Limit games. There just doesn't ever seem to be a decent game at higher limits than 3/6.

It's a grind, but if you're surfing, etc. it's pretty simple since you can easily play 2 games at once and in many cases 3. The slowest games are Omaha and the easiest (least variance) low limit stud. The draw games were very juicy for about 2 weeks (complete the SB and draw 5!) but are now just dead.

The opening of almost uncountable numbers of new sites might indicate the possibility of more/better games, but so far Paradise rules.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
        The high variance seems to come more from the fact that we choose to play only in certain types of games and those always must have chip burners in them. Chip burners will burn your chips from time to time.
        Ahhh, chip burners...where did all the chip burners that used to be on Paradise go?

Comment

Working...
        X