PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

limping UTG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limping UTG

I was wondering what holdings various players will limp UTG with in NLHE (not including slowplaying).

Assume a 10 handed tournament where there are usually 2-3 players coming in (not including the blinds) with preflop raises occuring slightly less then half the time. The more of these NL tournys I play the less I am inclined to limp in with any cards in EP, I find hands like AJs, KJs, 1010, and 99 particularly perplexing. Do you raise with these to limit the field or limp in? I am tempted to muck hands like this (except 10-10 where I will generally raise) UTG or UTG+1. Nonetheless I see lots of players limp in UTG, what would you limp with?

Thanks,

EG

Personally, I limp with any pair JJ or below. Raise with AK AA KK and QQ.

Comment

it really depends on your specific table...early on i will limp with bigger pairs such as TT-88, but later on, when the antes kick in, you gotta raise.

D

Comment

i limp in with nay hand from AA to 2/3 offsuit. seriously! i dont think that you can have a table of starting hands for no limit poker. so much of the game depends on stack sizes and your opponents. but if you limp in with a monster hand, then be prepared for many callers, and someone hitting a miracle flop. utg is the worst position possible, because people can and usually will play back at you. it is up to you to decide if they have a legit hand or if they are bluffing. what kind of hands do you like to limp in with? are they suited connectors? or one gappers, or big pairs? and i think the question about any llimping hand that should really be asked is, what are you going to do with that hand one someone in a later position plays back at you with a raise? if you dont plan on calling, or oreraising, then why limp in in the first place? before you decide to play any hand, ask yourself one question....am i willing to put in my whole stack of chips with this hand? if the answer is no, then maybe you should just fold the hand and wait for a better one. no reason to put yourself in a bad situation, especially when you have the worst position. i think i will stop rambling now......

Comment

I fold KJs, a particualrly nasty holding.

I limp with the other three and hope to flop big.

If you get played back at here, it depends on stack size etc, but more inclined to play the PP (to a moderate raise, not a huge one), and hope to flop the set.

I'll likely release the AJs as I may very well be dominated here. AK, QQ, etc... So if one of the possible raising hands was AK, what do you do if an Ace flops.

jmuzzey, erase from your memory banks that I would fold JJ here. I will go all in against you, LOL.

Randy

PS I may fold AJs UTG. AJ is NOT that good of a hand. Except for hazy.

Comment

Deleted.
            Last edited by MatzeOB; Mon Sep 03, 2007, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Re: limping UTG

Originally posted by demonknees
              I was wondering what holdings various players will limp UTG with in NLHE (not including slowplaying).

Assume a 10 handed tournament where there are usually 2-3 players coming in (not including the blinds) with preflop raises occuring slightly less then half the time. The more of these NL tournys I play the less I am inclined to limp in with any cards in EP, I find hands like AJs, KJs, 1010, and 99 particularly perplexing. Do you raise with these to limit the field or limp in? I am tempted to muck hands like this (except 10-10 where I will generally raise) UTG or UTG+1. Nonetheless I see lots of players limp in UTG, what would you limp with?

Thanks,

EG
              Assuming deep money up to 100X BB:

Without an ante, generally/usually limp with UTG or early in unopened pot:
              Pairs 66-TT
              AKo
              AQo
              AJs
              KQs

With an ante, generally limp with :

66-TT
              Maybe KQs or AJs or maybe raise or fold, I'm not sure. I would probably raise or fold with these 2 with an ante.

Shallow money generally limp with nothing.

Comment

I limp with anything UTG to disguise that one time I get AA and can reraise allin. Let the raiser beware!

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

JMuzzey said:
                    i limp in with nay hand from AA to 2/3 offsuit. seriously!
                    And of course there is also 'J's Inverse Corollary': "i raise like a bastard with any hand from AA to 2/3 offsuit. seriously!" :lol:

Comment

Working...
                    X