PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short-handed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short-handed

From the Poker Pages article: Short-handed Hold'Em: Preflop Play (Part I), By Jason Pohl

Example 3:

Player 1 has 6s 5s {small blind}
    Player 2 has Kh 9h {big blind}
    Flop: Jh 3d 8c {4 small bets in the pot}

Player 1 bets. It's a complete bluff. If Player 2 plays back, Player 1 is in trouble and will likely muck. If there is even a 25% chance of an immediate fold, Player 2 would be correct to raise. (Note: This is true regardless of what Player 2 holds, but the next scenario will illustrate why holding big cards makes this raise even more profitable.)

Can someone explain the math behind this statement?

The way I see it Player 2 is effectively getting a raise in 4 times for the price of 1 small bet. 1 time in 4 Player one folds giving Player 2 $5. 3 times in 4 Player 2 pays $2 for a total of $6. So Player 2 has made the pot larger (which she still may win) 4 times for the cost of 1 small bet.
    8)

Den

Comment

If I read this correctly.....P2 is risking 1 extra small bet (his raise) to win 5 small bets already in the pot (after P1's flop bet) ......if P1 will fold 1 in 4 times to the raise that makes the play profitable.

Does that work?

Comment

Working...
      X