PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

odd reraise....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd reraise....

Freeroll - nolimit holdem - 43 players sign in

1h 15minutes - antes 100 - blinds 300 / 600

23 players stil in - avg stack 19k

Starting hand #11352838

Clay Knight starts with $26,125
    Jennay starts with $28,400
    "spades" starts with $6,675
    BMC starts with $7,050
    Martan starts with $13,650
    RCMorea starts with $20,650
    Shakingmyhead starts with $18,450
    Shakingmyhead has the dealer button

>>>DEALING HOLE CARDS<<<

"spades" dealt down 9h 9d
    Clay Knight posts the ante $100
    Jennay posts the ante $100
    "spades" posts the ante $100
    BMC posts the ante $100
    Martan posts the ante $100
    RCMorea posts the ante $100
    Shakingmyhead posts the ante $100
    Clay Knight posts the small blind $300
    Jennay posts the big blind $600
    Martan: nh
    CHANTED: nh

"spades" raises $4,200 to $4,800

BMC folds
    Martan folds
    RCMorea folds
    Shakingmyhead folds

Clay Knight raises $4,200 to $9,000

Jennay folds

"spades" calls $1,775 and is all-in

Clay Knight shows cards Kc Jh 8O 8O 8O

"spades" shows cards 9d 9h

>>>DEALING FLOP<<< [ As 3c Kd ]
    >>>DEALING TURN<<< [ 6c ]
    >>>DEALING RIVER<<< [ 2d ]
    "spades": ???
    Clay Knight wins $2,425
    Clay Knight wins $14,450
    Clay Knight won with a pair of kings
    "spades" finishes in 23rd place :evil:

i like to see comments on that reraise (or better) on that call with a KJ...

i didnt understand it...clay know the way i play so he should guess i had a pp...and maybe a bigger pp or a AK

spades 8O

First, I don't understand your initial raise - if you're going to raise that much, you might as well raise all in. Second, Clay at 26K has two overcards if you have a pair under JJ - so it is costing him 6.5K to possibly win 16K. I'm not saying it's a correct call - but if he had you on an underpair to his KJ, it's not a terrible call, and it won't bust him if he loses.

Comment

I can see it

Comment

hazy

or i will limp with 99 early on and may gota face a raise later (and decide to go or fold and loose 600)

or ill raise big enough to buy the blinds (going all in or raising the amount i had raise doesnt make any diference in my oppinion)

ive raised 7 times the bb..i think making it more 2 bb doenst make much diference..if you got a hand to call a 5k early raise you got a hand to call 7k

in other way i may get to see the flop with one or 2 players and not been all in up to there...then ill have to decide to go all in depending on

off course i am too comitted but i didnt expect to see a caller/raiser

clay raise didnt scare me cause ive seen too many times is bluffs...stil im amazed with a reraise with KJ on the sb which FORCES me to go all in...and clay knows that im calling him

with that information...did you reraise with a KJ ??? that is my main question..forget about my raise

i may reraise with 93o in early pos and stil win the blinds and you will never know !!! but reraising with a KJ ???

just amazed..maybe im wrong

spades

Comment

Spades, on the 99. Why not raise 3 times the BB?

Then you still got chips.

The KJ, bad bad play.

Just My Opinion.

Rg

Comment

Originally posted by thehazyone
            but if he had you on an underpair to his KJ, it's not a terrible call, and it won't bust him if he loses.
            True, but Spades has other very plausible holdings where KJ is in terrible shape.

Comment

With your stack size, it is borderline between either moving all-in or raising to 1800. Clay just fancied gambling against a smaller stack that he put on an underpair, but he sucks anyway lol.

Comment

actaully spades your raise with the 99 would have made me think you had small to middle PP or AJ,AQ.

with KJ and the stack clay i had i would have been tempted to put you all in trying to take out a player that i would consider a problem to me winning the event.

if the KJ win i get rid of a threat and have a very nice stack if i lose then i still have above average stack and time to wait for another hand to gamble on.

Comment

Originally posted by ironside
                  actaully spades your raise with the 99 would have made me think you had small to middle PP or AJ,AQ.
                  You want to take on a AJ with your KJ ?? That's 72% in favour of the AJ according to the very fine "World Poker Diary" odds chart.

AQ vs KJ is 64% or so.

I can't see any reason here for even a call. The best you can expect is an underpair to the KJ, but there are many worse scenarios.

Comment

one thing here is missing...the way table was playing

Q5o raise preflop UTG early on the game (1st hand or so)

i had AQ and made a 2 times BB raise preflop got called by a 68o that hits a 6 on flop went all in and hit a 8 on river

that information about the table is important here

if i made a small raise i will be called by the usual rags for sure

i am utg at that time and im willing to go all in with that...making that raise or going all in will not make much diference at that point

i see your point iron..but anyway are you willing to call with KJ even to a small pp ???

i know i dont

spades

Comment

Spades, I'm not a good big bet player, but FWIW I would have done the same as Clay given the extended range of hands you may be on as the short stack in this situation.

In fact with these actual hands Clay had good odds to call (not to raise) due to the dead money. I put you as the 5-4 favorite. Had you gone all-in it would have changed the pot odds to be virtually worthless (5-4) for Clay to call!

Another thought here is that you may have a leak with your betting pattern. At least in this case you didn't manipulate Clay into foldiing. You were pot committed at $4200 I think, so should have raised all in. Had you raised $2000 you would have had a good bet available post flop. Had you called, going for the set, it would have cost too much. Maybe Clay will tell us what he would have done to other bets?

Inquiring minds want to know. :lol: , Den

Comment

Spades' pre-flop bet was effectively all-in.
                        I don't think the size of the bet was an issue - he was totally pot-committed and had to be treated as if he were all-in.

Comment

clay had 4-5 times spades stack

spades was in effect the short stack at the table i would have been trying to get out of the tourny.
                          if clay had lost he would still have about 2 times the stack of spades.

getting a tough player like spades out of an event when he is short and presents no real risk to my stack is IMHO a solid tatic.

when spades raised he should have raised all in as glen said it was in affect an all in raise when he over bet the pot comminting himself to it and failed to go all in it would have told me middle PP and that if called and overcards fallen (without a set ) he would have been fuming at the fact he never went all in and folded.

Comment

in fact i am not happy at all with my play there

i rather limp with 99 in early position then raise 2 or 3 times bb with that

but nevertheless i think clay is raising or calling any bet ive made there

the issue to me is stil wether you call with KJ to a possible AK,AQ AJ at least or to a pp

spades

Comment

Originally posted by spades
                              in fact i am not happy at all with my play there

i rather limp with 99 in early position then raise 2 or 3 times bb with that

but nevertheless i think clay is raising or calling any bet ive made there

the issue to me is stil wether you call with KJ to a possible AK,AQ AJ at least or to a pp

spades
                              You don't limp with 99 in early position, when there is an ante and such shallow money. Usually KJ should fold.

Comment

Working...
                              X