PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pot Limit Omaha 0/8 hand.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pot Limit Omaha 0/8 hand.

    It is 20 minutes into the 1k starting chip tourney. I am in the big blind and am dealt 237J. EVERYONE at the table limps in for $25.

    Flop comes 737 with two clubs. I have the nuts but I only improve with a jack if someone else has a 7.

    What do you do here? I bet pot which was 200. It is folded around to late position. Late position player reraises the pot so it is $600 to me. What do you do?

    I doubled up earlier and am sitting with 2,200 vs the reraisers 1,000.

  • #2
    well, my opinion, you are holding the nuts right now, i reraise him all in. he could have a 7 also, or 33, or on a flush draw. if he draws out on you to a better full house, then there is nothing you can do. put him all in and see what the poker gods have decided.

    Comment


    • #3
      The only thing the other player could have is a draw that could beat you with 2 cards to come.....9 outs at best if i figure correctly. (holding a 7 with three overcards to your fullhouse). A gutshot straight flush draw is the only other draw that beats you.....a single out. You have the best of it and I doubt the other player is going anywhere after the raise.

      Jay has the right answer.....pot it again and hope he doesnt get lucky

      Comment


      • #4
        I sould like a real pushover for even asking questions on this hand. I do really well in the limit Omaha and Omaha 0/8 games but have a very subpar record in the pot limit Omaha tourneys.

        I hesitate with this hand for two reasons. The first reason is the two low cards on the board. My opponent wasn't one of the usual maniacs. I have to assume he has a 7 and the low draw as well. My equity decreases quite a bit with the two low cards on the board.

        The second is my inability to improve my boat.


        The opponnent had A257 with two clubs. This is a very strong hand with that flop but I think it was a mistake to go all in since he was potentially drawing to both the high and low. I imagine he saw the A2, two clubs on the board and his 7 and thought I have a ton of outs here. It would have been in his best interest to call the $200 on the flop and go all in once he either fills up or gets the third low card on the board.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah , I was thinking he must have A27x, probably with a low "x".

          I wish I had an O8 simulator, but at a guess I'd say he's not in bad shape versus your hand. In fact he's pretty unlucky to already be up against top boat (what holding a 7 himself and all), so it's totally understandable he repotted especially if he had A:c:x:c: . I'd say his bet was totally correct assuming he has the nut flush draw (but I just got off night shift ... make allowances)

          When you say 'my equity decreases quite a bit' because of his nut low draw I think that's an understatement. Any A or 5 and he scoops. Any low card and he takes half.

          Given the chip count I'd guess you'd be right to get him all-in, but he'd certainly be right to call at that point.

          Great game eh? 8)

          Comment


          • #6
            If you run the odds here, I think you should raise.

            He is likely on a low draw, and with a draw to the "possible" high nuts.

            Suppose two of his cards are an A and a 2. Maybe, he has a 4 and a 7, a 7 and a K, whatever. Assume the worst: THAT HE HAS A 7.

            At max he has 9 outs to a nut high. You are 2 to 1 ahead here.

            Figure 70% chance of splitting the pot, 30% you scoop (if he does not hit his high).

            But his 9 outs to a high gives him a 33% chance he scoops.

            Suppose you reraise the mazimum of his chips. Another $1000. He calls $1,000. There is $1,000 in the pot. A total of $1000 at play.

            The math is (I think) for EV:

            66% chance you have part of the pot:
            30% You scoop and collect $3,000 (.3X$3,000=900)
            70% chance you split and collect $1500 (.7X$1500=1050)

            .66 X 1950 = 1300


            33% chance he hits his high and you collect $0. (.33 X $0 = $0)



            In the long run you collect $1,300 on $1,000 bet, IF HE HAS A 7.


            I say you gotta do it. But it may hurt, IF HE HAS A 7 or hits some miracle combination.


            But there are all kinds of other possibilities here. How about an A33x? How about the guy has a 79KA? Or a 679T? Hard to believe what garbage people play in O8. HE MAY NOT EVEN HAVE A LOW DRAW.


            Randy


            Could BA or someone check my math?


            BTW if they do have Ax, then your Win some is 75%, lose all is 25%, and your EV is $462.5 ($1462.50 - $1000)

            Comment

            Working...
            X