PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest opinions needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest opinions needed

I would like some honest answers to this question.

Am I too easy to read ?

I have been meaning to ask this for quite a while, but never got around to it.
    The reason that prompted me today is: I was playing the Sunday Storm Sat with 1,503 seats available, at all of the tables I was sat, I had no notes on any of the players ( they were all new to me ) which should mean they had no notes on me. Yet apart from 5 times every time I played a hand everyone folded I only went to showdown six times, won five and the sixth was where I went out in 2611th place having been blinded down to 2BB ( there were over 16K entrants ).

It appeared that almost all of my opponents knew when I had a decent hand, even when I was in the Big Blind and only checked.
    Check, call, min raise , big raise didn't seem to make any difference.
    I played a couple of hands with trash just to see if they would still fold to me, but each time I did that I was either called or raised.

How did they know ? I played the trash hands the same way I would have played AA or similar.

3 Time Bracelet Winner

I find you very loose passive Bill but that's only with a handful of hands. ie. you limp too much with speculative hands and then call or fold when you miss.

Do you use tracking software?
    Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Curran View Post
      I would like some honest answers to this question.

Am I too easy to read ?

I have been meaning to ask this for quite a while, but never got around to it.
      The reason that prompted me today is: I was playing the Sunday Storm Sat with 1,503 seats available, at all of the tables I was sat, I had no notes on any of the players ( they were all new to me ) which should mean they had no notes on me. Yet apart from 5 times every time I played a hand everyone folded I only went to showdown six times, won five and the sixth was where I went out in 2611th place having been blinded down to 2BB ( there were over 16K entrants ).

It appeared that almost all of my opponents knew when I had a decent hand, even when I was in the Big Blind and only checked.
      Check, call, min raise , big raise didn't seem to make any difference.
      I played a couple of hands with trash just to see if they would still fold to me, but each time I did that I was either called or raised.

How did they know ? I played the trash hands the same way I would have played AA or similar.

If they had HUDs, they could have been reading your betting habits
      Do you keep your bet sizing the same no matter?
      Do you play a lot from late position but not much from mid or early?

Dont assume that all of your oppponents can see your cards, it could be that sometimes they didn't have a hand or were warry about giving it up.

Sadly, sometimes the planets dont align.

The only real tells we have on people online without HUDS are where they bet from, how often they bet and how they bet.

you can restrict reads by keeping your bet sizing the same or at least regiminted by the players you are against.. always bet the same vs 1 opp in hand #1 as hand #101, obviously as a factor of the blinds.

if you are a rock, only be 5% of hands, most opponents will fold. So mix it up with some steals, or abuse your image on a few moderate hands (like KT or some suited connectors/pairs).. you might not win that hand but taking the occasional shot on a "hit or fold" basis can adjust your image and shift your gears a little.

Also, if your opponents are overly timid, take advantage more

Comment

My perception of your play is that you limp too much, but this is from a tiny sample and it was played on 14/04/13 (Almost a year ago to the day lol), so things may have changed.

Against someone that limps too much, I will be suspicious when I see them raise, and will give credit for a decent hand.

To be harder to read I think you should probably lower your limping range and increase your bet/raising range.

Comment

I agree with the others that you seem to limp pre-flop too often, which makes me extra wary when you do raise. However I am also wary when you limp as I expect you to play well post-flop. So if I get involved in a pot with you I expect I am going to need a made hand when you continue post-flop. I would say your tendencies make you quite hard to read as it is difficult to range your hands when you limp a wide range and to know what you have hit post-flop. But I do think you could be exploited in real money games if you play this way v regs - though you will often be able to outplay the many fish post-flop.

Obviously most of my play v Bill is from PSO Home Games and similar and these do play differently to real money MTTs against randoms. I think if you are not using tracker software you would benefit - mainly from the ability to review, look at your stats and see where your leaks are.

You ain't a bad player by any means Bill - you do well v PSO opps and I think the style you play is against the norm and confuses some as you play a different style to the 'PSO TAG' which can be tricky to read - just not sure it is optimal.

Ed
          Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Sun Apr 13, 2014, 10:54 PM.
          4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Let me pull out my notes and I'll send you a pm.

John (JWK24)
            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
              I agree with the others that you seem to limp pre-flop too often, which makes me extra wary when you do raise. However I am also wary when you limp as I expect you to play well post-flop. So if I get involved in a pot with you I expect I am going to need a made hand when you continue post-flop. I would say your tendencies make you quite hard to read as it is difficult to range your hands when you limp a wide range and to know what you have hit post-flop. But I do think you could be exploited in real money games if you play this way v regs - though you will often be able to outplay the many fish post-flop.

Obviously most of my play v Bill is from PSO Home Games and similar and these do play differently to real money MTTs against randoms. I think if you are not using tracker software you would benefit - mainly from the ability to review, look at your stats and see where your leaks are.

You ain't a bad player by any means Bill - you do well v PSO opps and I think the style you play is against the norm and confuses some as you play a different style to the 'PSO TAG' which can be tricky to read - just not sure it is optimal.

Ed
              Ed makes a point that you may well be different in a cash game than a MTT or STT.

I think everyone is being brutal here but I think it's what you want. There's no right way to play the game BTW so if your making a profit, tweak on what your doing.

If you've used tracking software and used up the trial try re-installing then uninstall with the free Revo Uninstaller, use a different email addy and you might be able to get a new trial again
              Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Curran View Post
                Am I too easy to read ?
                In a word, yes.
                I always found you quite easy to play against in the PSO homegames, because you didn't raise often enough to disguise the strength of your hands. i.e. I would nearly always give you credit for a big hand if you came out firing either pre-flop or post.
                Occasionally you surprised me with a random bluff, and got me to fold the best hand, so maybe you need to mix it up more often, but don't go too crazy.

I'm sure JWK has extensive notes on your style of play, so he's the man to help you with this. Good luck!
                Bracelet Winner

Comment

yo.....hiccup...... Guys like jwk and arty etc. are easy reads....... They always follow the..... never....or always.......or standard moves etc...... Where you.....I don't have a clue Keep it up dudeumbup: Cheers
                  Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

But have to add.......... Bill has over the years has been nothing but class here..... Class bill.....hiccupumbup:

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by effsea View Post
                      But have to add.......... Bill has over the years has been nothing but class here..... Class bill.....hiccupumbup:
                      Agreed - Bill is a class PSO member - I also often find him more difficult to play against than PSO sharks like JWK/Lango etc - because the style is unfamiliar - but that is in PSO home game MTTs and the PowerPlay etc - not sure how that translates to real money MTT games against bigger more random fields and I never put him on 27...like some of the fish here play hiccup Ed
                      4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

oh my...lol....ed....hiccup

have to agree......

cheers

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Like many other players here Bill I find in the PSO games here you tend to play a loose passive style. However this is not the same as saying you are easy to read. I agree with Effsea when he says you can be unpredictable.

I would not be too concerned with the results of a single satellite, unless you feel you had an clear tell such as 4x betting premier hands only.

Grade b
                          I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys, it's very much appreciated. Looks like I need to tighten up a tad and be a bit more aggressive. umbup:umbup:umbup:
                            3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Ovalman View Post
                              I think everyone is being brutal here but I think it's what you want. There's no right way to play the game BTW so if your making a profit, tweak on what your doing. If you've used tracking software and used up the trial try re-installing then uninstall with the free Revo Uninstaller, use a different email addy and you might be able to get a new trial again
                              I can't use tracking software, have tried it but I just get confused with all that info, and it makes the table sometimes difficult to see properly. I generally time out while I am looking up the stats etc. and end up losing a hand I should have won, and I think I am too old now to use it successfully. My laptop only has a 14" screen so the stats are hard to see anyway, especially if I have more than one table going. But thanks for the suggestion. umbup:umbup:
                              3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.