PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PL Omaha High

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PL Omaha High

Did I make the correct move here? Or is this just a bad beat I put on someone, plain and simple. I knew I was behind, obviously, but felt I had enough draws to play this.

>>>DEALING HOLE CARDS<<<
    rggator dealt down Td Qh Qd 9d
    babe60 posts the small blind $300
    biba posts the big blind $600
    rggator calls $600
    Big Bo raises $2,100 to $2,700
    pokerwidow1 folds
    lltoolj folds
    "spades" folds
    babe60 folds
    biba folds
    rggator raises $1,150 to $3,850 and is all-in
    Big Bo calls $1,150
    rggator shows cards Qh Td Qd 9d
    Big Bo shows cards Ks Ah Ad 6s
    >>>DEALING FLOP<<< [ Ts Js Jc ]
    >>>DEALING TURN<<< [ 5c ]
    >>>DEALING RIVER<<< [ Th ]
    rggator wins $8,600
    rggator won with three of a kind, tens
    Starting hand #11146636
    >>>DEALING HOLE CARDS<<<
    To simplify things here:

Bo raises: POT = $4200
    Call by me = $2100
    2:1 pot odds

My reraise makes my odds 5400 to 3800 I think: 1.42 to 1.

So probably a mistake then. But I gotta see all 5 cards I believe, so my only options are to go all in here or fold. I can't call and leave myself with $1,150 in chips.

Thanks,

Randy

Dear Randy,
    Even though you have a fairly good (but far from great) starting hand, once someone behind you raises the pot (indicating aces, or at least a big pair/ high card type of hand), your hand is usually in deep trouble. Without any significant dead money in the pot, I would prefer folding over calling or raising. Also, your reasoning to re-raise "because you want to see all five cards" is incorrect. Of course, the money will go in on the flop anyway, but it's better to do the betting yourself then, with an outside chance you can make your opponent fold a better hand (only if you are up against a very bad player. A good player will NEVER fold his hand after the flop with so little money left, no matter how scary the board). So Randy, in my opinion you DID get lucky, because yes, you DID overplay your hand slightly. However, having called the initial bet, I understand your unwillingness to fold before the flop, as you have some money to protect now and with this type of hand you might have some chances against aces. But it is the combination nine-ten-queen that might prove valuable when up against aces, and not so much the queens- when I suspect that those exact queens were the reason why you decided to move all-in. Just my thoughts,
    Rolf.

Comment

I can't understand why you limped in the first place.

Comment

Thanks Rolf, thanks Noodles. This is the reason I joined PSO.

Rolf said:
        But it is the combination nine-ten-queen that might prove valuable when up against aces, and not so much the queens- when I suspect that those exact queens were the reason why you decided to move all-in.
        Actually the 9TQ, and the fact they I at least had them suited was my reasoning combined with the slight odds I would make a set. Still, an error given my limp.

And further comments on whether the Limp was correct are welcome. I limped because I was UTG. I may have been wrong here, and maybe I should have committed myself preflop, as I was fairly short of chips at this point in the tourney.

Randy

Comment

Actually Randy, I didn't say I would have raised. I just wouldn't have limped. I don't know whether your hand was good enough to committ with as I don't play Omaha, but I certainly wouldn't have limped with that size stack UTG. Raise or fold generally.

Comment

You don't give details of the various stack sizes, tourney position etc, but it looks kind of late in the game - big blinds and 8 at the table....

Anyway, UTG it's a bad raising hand so fold looks right. On the other hand it's somewhat short-handed. So raise or fold. Either, tending to fold though with bad position and all.

After the pot raise you're in trouble and should fold unless your remaining stack is too small to do reasonable battle with. But it looks like you put in a very decent amount and shudda folded imo.

As a matter of interest, do you know of a downloadable Omaha simulator to check out the odds of Hand X vs Hand Y ?

cheers

Comment

Rosita wrote:

As a matter of interest, do you know of a downloadable Omaha simulator to check out the odds of Hand X vs Hand Y ?
              I wish I did.

Randy

Comment

Janne Raevaara's Java-based calculator does omaha. I have never used it. It seems quite popular. She also posts over on RGP, and plays on teh pokerpages software. She may even be a member, though I am not sure. I think Ram Jaane or something is her online name.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jraevaar/pokercalculator/

Comment

Working...
                X