PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tourney Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourney Question

The game is NL Texas Holem. Its the beginning of the tourney, blinds are $10-$15. Im in seat 4 the BB holding AJ suited. Seat 5 raises to $60 and everyone folds to me. I call. The flop comes 2-6-8 all rags. I check, and the raiser comes out betting $100. You get that feeling that he is just trying to buy it. The chances of him having AA, KK, QQ, JJ are slight compared to just two big overcards. My question is, assuming that he might just have two over cards, do you think this is a time to come back at him with a significant raise, if not an all-in raise. Only because if he does only have 2 overcards, hes almost gaurenteed to fold.
    Let me know what you guys think.
    Thanks,
    Sideshow6

hi, i'm by far not the best around here but i'll give my opinion to learn.

if u are not going to reraise him pre flop to see where u stand, then i think with his pre raise that early in a tourney it should be an easy fold giving him credit for at least a high pair and i don't think i would risk a chase that early in a tourney, just mvvvho.

jokerAA

Comment

Depends on the player. But this early in the tourney, you may want to wait for a better situation.

Other hands he could have are AK or AQ. IMO AJ is a raising hand only (from position), and not normally a calling hand preflop.

Randy

Comment

UTG raises are typically Big Aces or Big Pairs, unless you have previous knowledge of this player these are what you should expect them to hold. A $100 bet into a $130 pot on a ragged flop is usually a solid hand begging for a call, but can be someone with a piece of the flop representing a solid hand.

Why assume they were on a steal? If they are that type of player you'll have chances later on to get your chips in against them with better odds.

Comment

Some players also will raise with a small pair in that spot. Even that has you beat at this point.

Ideally the only time i want to "just call" is when I have position on a larger field......or can trap a single opponent with a big hand.

In my opinion its way too early to risk all your chips just because you feel someone is on a steal. Even if I was 90% sure they were stealing I would still fold 90% of the time and wait. Early in tournaments i used to push every edge.....and was correct in that I was ahead more than 75% of the time. Unfortunately many times i was only a 11-10 favorite or 2-1 favorite. I learned that I would bust out many more times on coin flips when instead I could reduce risking a bust out by waiting for a better spot. In the early stages of an event I want to be a 3-1 favorite or better before involving a substantial amount of chips.

Comment

With AJ early in a tourny, I won't play this hand unless I know for sure this guy is bluffing. Otherwise it is just not worth the chance to lose this early in the tourney. If you do stay in and he raises 100 then you have to fold.

torax

If you don't like what I say then don't listen to me!!

Comment

In the early stages of an event I want to be a 3-1 favorite or better before involving a substantial amount of chips.
              Why, are you that good?

Seems PSO has taught you well.

Comment

Noodles

Ever heard the saying.....want in one hand, $%&* in the other.

LOL

Comment

Re: Tourney Question

Originally posted by Sideshow6
                  The game is NL Texas Holem. Its the beginning of the tourney, blinds are $10-$15. Im in seat 4 the BB holding AJ suited. Seat 5 raises to $60 and everyone folds to me. I call. The flop comes 2-6-8 all rags. I check, and the raiser comes out betting $100.
                  You're not gonna win a tournament in the early stages, but you sure can lose it. This is just not a hand you have to play, particularly now. If you really read your opponent for a steal, you should have played back at him before the flop and given him a chance to lay down his hand. But you called, and now he has the initiative while you don't have a hand. I'd let this pupply loose and wait for a better opportunity to invest my money.

Comment

Working...
                  X