PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Play this hand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play this hand

OK, here are the same hands - three different situations.

1. You have AJ off in EP. You are the biggest stack (22K) at the table of a PLHE tourney with 2 full tables left. You raise pot. LP player, 2nd biggest stack (20K) at the table, reraises pot, everyone else has folded. This player only plays about 1 hand every 2 orbits and has shown down a strong hand every time. What do you do?

2. Again you have AJ off in EP. You are a medium size stack (16K) at a table of a NLHE tourney, middle stages. You raise 3x BB (making it 1600 to go). A solid LP player raises 5K (he has 13K). Everyone else has folded. What do you do?

3. Amazing enough you have AJ in EP yet again. You are a large stack at a table of a 1K NLHE tourney, middle stages. You limp for 100. There is 450 in the pot after you do this. Solid player one after you raises himself all in for 800. Everyone else folds. What do you do?

Results to come later.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never have played these hands in the first place, and having been reraised I'd lay all three down.

Comment

kings are not a good hand...the jam always get them...

Comment

Why Jesse, I agree with you wholeheartedly. (I wasn't the ace jack player by the way).

Kings? Hate em. I does.

Comment

Re: Play this hand

Originally posted by thehazyone
          OK, here are the same hands - three different situations.

1. You have AJ off in EP. You are the biggest stack (22K) at the table of a PLHE tourney with 2 full tables left. You raise pot. LP player, 2nd biggest stack (20K) at the table, reraises pot, everyone else has folded. This player only plays about 1 hand every 2 orbits and has shown down a strong hand every time. What do you do?
          Firstly, I wouldn't necessarily play the AJ. It would depend on the table and the stack sizes. Though it is certainly raise or fold.

What do I do after pot is re-raised by a tight player on the button? Re-raise and watch that wimp fold Or call and bet pot on flop, and watch that wimp fold

Nah, seriously, I fold 99% of hands here. All but AA or KK probably, against that player in general.

2. Again you have AJ off in EP. You are a medium size stack (16K) at a table of a NLHE tourney, middle stages. You raise 3x BB (making it 1600 to go). A solid LP player raises 5K (he has 13K). Everyone else has folded. What do you do?
          Against you, I fold usually.

3. Amazing enough you have AJ in EP yet again. You are a large stack at a table of a 1K NLHE tourney, middle stages. You limp for 100. There is 450 in the pot after you do this. Solid player one after you raises himself all in for 800. Everyone else folds. What do you do?
          Don't know. Depends how desperate I think they are. Depends what range of hands they think I limp with in that spot. It's close but probably a fold.

So, you lost all 3 hands eh?

Comment

1) Fold

2) Fold

3) Call, as you can't be hurt much and there is a decent chance he has TT or below, and with the chips already in it, it is a positive EV play.

But I am not playing that hand usually from EP. It a stealing hand in MP to LP.

Randy

Comment

In scenario three you say you are a "large" stack at this point. Some clarity on the size of your stack sure would make the decision making easier. In the mid stage of a tournament the average stack would be approximately 2k. I would play a 3k-4k stack differently than I would play a 5k-7k stack at this point.

If you are less than the average stack I think limping into this pot is acceptable given your poor position. Would a raise of 150-200 been a better choice?

The EP player to your immediate left raises all in making it 700 to you. This is where your stack size becomes a deciding factor for me. I fold here unless my stack size is 5k+ or there is some additional info I possess on my opponent.

Comment

In the 3rd hand, the stack size was 3.5K.

I was the loser in all of these hands, every time with KK.

Just wondering what the fascination with AJ is, and why does it seem to hit an ace every time? Is it programmed that way?

Thanks for humoring me.

Hazy

Comment

Working...
                X