PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

more odds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more odds

ok i know AAv KK is 4-1

but what are AA v KQs
    and AA v AKs
    i think the KQs does better against the AA than the AK does but how much better

rough guess is KQs is 5-1 dog AKs is 18-1,20-1 dog

the Odds

AA vs AKs---AA is an approximate 8/1 favorite
    AA vs KQs---AA is an approximate 4.7/1 favorite (assuming that the suit of KQ is not the same as one of the A, if it is then AA is an approximate 5.1/1 favorite)

Comment

has to be bigger than 8-1 its a hope to hit a flush or a set of kings hand

if that is the case the biggest you can ever be ahead preflop is 8-1

Comment

Check this site: http://www.maestropoker.com/java/headsup/index.html

It will give you answer to all your questions I think.

Sailor Moe
        2 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

that is pretty true ironside. ( i think)lol, someone once told me that if the pot was offering me ten to one odds, then i should play just about any two cards, because i may just flop a miracle. i mean, it only has to happen one in 9 times then to show a profit........that is why when more than one person in early position limp in, more people come in in later position, it was worth the call to see a flop. i wonder what the adds are of 2/7 offsuit against AA, as you can not make a straight with 2/7, at least not both working, i think this hand would give you the worst possible odds ever faced preflop.

jmuzzey

Comment

From the software I use AA vs 72o=
            black AA would win 87.24%
            red 72o 12.75%

red AA 88.74%
            red 72o 10.78%

--Matt--

Comment

72o does better against AA than either AKo or AKs, though it is almost identical to AKo odds-wise. However 72o is terrible against 77. You can probably spot a common trait there somewhere. It's only about 7 or 8-to-1 dog verses AA and about 15-to-1 dog v 77.

I would say the worst situations you can find yourself in, headsup and all-in, will be when you are against a pair that is the same as your highest card.

Comment

the worst dogs are hands like Q2 v QQ etc with the low card being of the same suit as one of opponents
                these are something like 14-1 dogs
                a very short stacked phil hellmuth held Q2 v QQ on a late night poker and passed
                after a long rant about what a great player he was for passing when he said most "experts" would call he was shown the QQ he faced
                when asked how much of a dog he would have been he declared no worse than 7-1
                nice to know even phil doesn't know everything

Comment

ok i was trying to work this out as a new member and myself were on the same table a few times last night and saw each other get beats

one was me holding KK v k5s (against a wpo manaic)
                  and his was KK v my AQs

while we were exchanging war wounds and licking our wounds i said that the AQs was only about 2-1 dog were i thought the K5s was much bigger.

i used the AA v AK for terms or reference because i i thought AA v AKs would be the same as KK v k5s and 77 v 72s obviously i was wrong.

fidget i remember the LNP show your on about and if i remember right neither player showed hands and phil was still going on about the hand for the next 5 weeks ( ok i exagerate) trying to claim at one point that he was 2-1 favourite to 7-1 dog and back again trying to make it look like he had a big hand and not just 2 rags.

Comment

Originally posted by ironside
                    while we were exchanging war wounds and licking our wounds i said that the AQs was only about 2-1 dog were i thought the K5s was much bigger.
                    The other posters are right - the worst it gets is something like Q5o vs QQ (for example). Q5s and QJo a tad better, QJs ditto.

But "pair vs 1 higher+1 lower" e.g. AQo v KK is surprisingly 'close', about 71-29, depending on suits, so those pocket K's are never that secure.

Odds schmodds, I say :wink:

Comment

ok i thought (think) there are preflop only 11 odds that you must understand.

pair v over pair
                      pair v 2 over cards
                      pair v 2 undercards
                      pair v one of same and undercard
                      pair v one of same and overcard
                      2 overcards v 2 undercards
                      pair v one over and one undercard
                      1 over card and one under card ie (ATv kq)
                      high card low card ie(AJ v KT)
                      same high card with lower kicker ie (Ak v AQ)
                      and same low card with lower kicker ie (TJ v TQ)

they give all the major odds the suitedness and connectedness of the cards make a little difference but not much

hope that make sence

ps a hand like KK v Kx would be the best you can preflop in my thinking

Comment

ok i thought (think) there are preflop only 11 odds that you must understand.
                        Hi:

Is there a place where I can see what these odds actually are?

Thanks much!

Comment

KK v AQs is just over around 2-to-1. Over 5-to-2 if not suited. These odds apply to any pp against 1 overcard. The odds are also very similar for any matchup where someone has a higher kicker, such as AKv AQ or KJ v K2.

KK v K5o is a huge fav.

Got the table below from Sklansky and Barbara Yoon so I assume they are accurate. I've still not got around to reading this lol. Maybe next year.

I haven't bothered reading it as most odds and situations are pretty similar. For example, just assuming 2 high card hands that do not dominate each other are around a 3-to-2 matchup. It won't be far wrong. For example AK v 56, AK v T5 etc. All about the same 3-to-2 matchup.

Most matchups fall within the ballpark of the following group of 6 odds. Evens, 3-to-2, 2-to-1, 5-to-2, 4-to-1, around 10-to-1 or more.

1. Pair versus pair...about...4 1/2-to-1...

2. Pair versus two overcards...about even money.

3. Pair versus one overcard and one undercard...about...2 1/2-to-1...

4. Pair versus two undercards...typically more than...5-to-1...

5. Pair versus one overcard and one of the pair cards...about...2 1/3-to-1...

6. Pair versus one undercard and one of the pair cards...10-to-1 or more...

7. First and second highest versus third and fourth...usually about...9-to-5...

8. First and fourth highest versus second and third...usually below 7-to-5.

9. First and third highest versus second and fourth...about 8-to-5.

10. First and second highest versus duplicate of first plus third highest -- Example...K-Q versus K-J. ...usually slightly below 3-to-1.

11. First and second highest versus duplicate of second plus third highest -- Example: K-Q versus Q-J. ...usually between 2 3/4-to-1 and 3-to-1.

12 First and 3rd vs 2nd and 3rd. Ex: A-J vs K-J. The odds for match-ups in this 'category' can vary from just slightly better than a toss-up for like 4s-2h versus 3d-2d, up to as much as 3.42-to-1 for like As-2s versus Kh-2d.

Comment

Originally posted by Noodles
                            I would say the worst situations you can find yourself in, headsup and all-in, will be when you are against a pair that is the same as your highest card.
                            I've been working at it with Pokerstove and can confirm Noodles is right. Anybody have a matrix of Hold'em starting hands showing heads-up odds?

Thanks, Den

Comment

One Minor Change

Noodles said:
                              6. Pair versus one undercard and one of the pair cards...10-to-1 or more...
                              This is incorrect. Sooted cards that are not of the pair and connectors make a difference. AdAh vs AsKs is about a 8/1 favorite, whereas AdAh vs Askc is about 15.7/1 favorite. JcJd vs Js10s is about a 4.8/1 favorite whereas JcJd vs Js2d is about a 20.2 favorite.

Comment

Working...
                              X