PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Player notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player notes

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but almost being an online semi-pro (well at least last year I was, this year, it's been mainly recreational play), one thing I've always done is take extensive player notes.

I've had a few people ask me for my take on their play (cuz they knew I took notes), and being that this is a school and all, I figured why not.

So, if you are interested, I have notes on about 250 players. The kinds of things I look at are - style of play, reactions to aggression, how they play certain cards, how they play with a short stack or a big stack, etc; etc;

I can't promise that I'll have notes on you, but on that note, if you would like, I could watch ya a bit and do so.

You can either e-mail me at ajhendrix@hotmail.com, or pm me here.

Anything I can do to help someone, I'm all for. Oh, if any of you have notes on me, I'd like to see em, besides telling me the obvious "you suck" (if you watched me play yesterday, that was quite apparent).

Aaron (hazy)

Hi,
    this is more an observation. You watch the other tables in tournies. If someone goes all in at the other table and you are short stacked, you wait to see if they lose before commiting your chips. I suppose this increases your percentage some how??

Comment

That's a correct observation bumble, I won't deny doing that.

I know I'm not the only one who does it either.

I don't abuse it (meaning I don't hit time for 5 minutes), but yes, I do it.

Comment

What, specifically, do you record in your notes?

I started taking notes a few months ago and my results have improved a bit. But it is a Catch-22: I'm a bad player because I don't know what matters and since I don't know what matters, the notes I take probably don't have much value.

I keep track of the number of hands shown down and, if the player doesn't muck, what the hands were. This is useful but tells me little that I couldn't have learned from cum% and PPT. Occasionally I'll note, for example, that a certain player goes all-in with relatively weak hands or plays a timid game. But in general I'm hesitant to draw such specific inferences because I am observing only one or two data points.

I suspect the reason my results have improved since I started taking notes is that the note-taking forces me to pay close attention to play at the table (instead of watching Buffy reruns).

I'd appreciate any specific advice on what to take in notes.

Comment

Thankyou, very useful, I have learnt a lot

CLAY

Comment

I've gotten a lot of responses from this post ( a lot more than I expected to be honest).

If I haven't gotten back to you, I will.

If I haven't seen you play, I will.

I'm doing the best I can - I promise!

As for what do I note - really a number of things.

I look for what kinds of hands a person plays (I won't annotate particular hands, I look for tendencies).

I look for how they enter a pot - do they limp a lot, raise a lot. Do they reraise a lot.

I look for how they act after they enter a pot. Are they passive? Aggressive?

I look for their reactions to other players. When will they lay down? Will they ever lay down?

I try to figure "What is the best way to play against this player. What works, and what doesn't"

Here is a sample of one that I sent to someone:

Very aggressive player. Not afraid to play suited or connected cards, and small pairs, even in the face of a small raise. Is not the kind of player to check and call, will be the aggressor in most hands he is involved in. Likes to be sneaky with his bigger hands, unless there has been action in front of him. Tends to let himself get caught too many times though, makes mistakes he shouldn't make (betting out top pair weak kicker, and not stopping even when being called down). Best way to play against him, is to let him do the betting for you if you have a decent but not great hand. If you have the nuts, trap him. He will also fold to reaggression (coming over
            the top) if his hand is marginal.

Hazy (Aaron)

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd
              What, specifically, do you record in your notes?

I suspect the reason my results have improved since I started taking notes is that the note-taking forces me to pay close attention to play at the table (instead of watching Buffy reruns).

I'd appreciate any specific advice on what to take in notes.

Lloyd,

I believe you have already hit on the first part of the process. It's not so much writing everything down, but becoming more aware while you are playing. Just like many things, the more you practice being aware, the more you become aware. In sports you practice say a golf swing until your body memorizes the correct swing. In this case the keeping of the notes starts a similar process for your mind. In the case of specific players you start to recall how they generally play. The more you do it the more automatic the process becomes and then when you are facing someone new, your brain goes into autopilot and starts looking for tendencies. So the taking of the notes is almost more important than the specific play you are recording. Just look for tendencies IMO.

Comment

great post here

i will ask for your notes on me in case you have any aaron

one thing is funny

someone once (a goot player) told me how he consider my play

and i see myself in the opposite side and was one of the weakest sides of my game which i have been trying to change

what you think about your game and what others people see or think about it can be completely diferent

spades 8)

Comment

If you scroll up to see Hazy's example.........

THAT IS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you don't know me by now, read it, it is amazingly accurate

CLAY

Comment

Hi everyone,

I wanted to write and say that unfortunately, I simply can't keep up with all the requests for my notes on players. I apologize, but honestly, I never expected so many people to respond to this post. I was gone for 4 days and came back with more than 40 requests.

I hope the ones that I did send out were able to help, and I know I appreciated the feedback that a couple of individuals in particular gave to me in return. It's good to know that there are so many people here at the school that are sincerely interested in improving their game (I know I am).

See you all at the tables, and remember, I'm watching... LOL.

Aaron (hazy)

Comment

Working...
                    X