PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you label your villains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you label your villains

So just came across a player i had labeled TAG he has stats of 11/9/4 over 1.2k hands so i just relabelled him NIT but i normally concider a NIT to be under a VPIP of 10, (for full ring)
    for me (at the moment)

NIT 10/6 and under/ over
    TP 19/8 and under / under
    TAG 22/14 under/over
    LP 20/9 and up /under
    LAG 23/15 and up/up
    MANIAC 35/24 up/up

I also have LP sub catorgary for a calling station who once they hit something will not fold,

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

I recently purchased Notecaddy but I need to tweak it, games I play vary vastly.

I use 4 colours.

Loose Passive calling station= Blue
    Loose Aggresive Raising Stations= Orange
    Rocks = Purple
    Sharks = Red = me I have too many reds in my database which colours too many. I need to work on this.
    Bracelet Winner

Comment

I was surprised but have to say I see a lot of TAGs at 5nl which surprised me.
      I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I've said before, it's rare in SnGs but I would imagine it would happen more at cash but if you have a table full of TAGs then you should be the maniac. Loosen up and raise until they start playing back at you.

Who cares what your image is, as long as YOU know then you can play the player.
        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Have no idea what 11 / 9 / 4 means.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLetterman View Post
            Have no idea what 11 / 9 / 4 means.
            honestly wh throws their shoe....

wait what was te question

11/9/4

VPIP/pr/3b

or

11 = vounatary puts money in the poy (ie plays hands..

9 = preflop raises

4= 3 bets

grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Grade b View Post
              So just came across a player i had labeled TAG he has stats of 11/9/4 over 1.2k hands
              So....11 times in 1,200 hands he voluntarily put money in the middle?
              Seeing as how he only played 11 out of 1,200 hands it must mean that the next number (9) means that out of the 11 times he put money in the pot he did so 9 of those times with pre flop raises.
              Furthermore, as for the third number: 4 of those were 3 bets, which sound similar to pre flop raises.

Still confused, and now I have a headache.

If you were in striking distance I'd be taking off my shoe.....
              Last edited by RedLetterman; Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:44 AM. Reason: George W inspired....and still confused.

Comment

The stats are % not absolute figures-

so 20/10 is 20% VPIP 10% PFR

third figure is usually preset as aggression frequency, but looks like grade b has his set as 3-bet %

Ed
                4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

My current system

everybody immediately gets a note of the game type/date and they are coloured yellow

eg $1.10MTT 11/02/2013 New Player to Note (yellow)

then as I get reads the colour gets changed to

Red TAG 10-20/10-20
                  Orange LAG 20+/20+
                  Green Loose Passive 20+/10+
                  Light Blue Tight Passive 20-/10-
                  Dark Blue Nit 10-/10-

I don't use a different colour for calling stations - that just gets added as a note

I consider somebody passive if they raise less than half the hands they play - so 40/18 loose passive even though raising 18% - whereas 18/18 TAG again raising 18% - this is where you have to be aware what your own system means and adjust accordingly.

Mostly I play Full R?ing MTTs - so if I am playing different formats I will adjust

I have special colours for League players

Pink = OSL
                  Orange = Premier League
                  Grey = UKIPT Leagues

these are because of how differently these games play - so eg stats on a OSL player will often look nittier - all these players get notes as the colour is a general identifier.

Ed
                  4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks Ed,

Nice to have someone here to translate the stats gathered from (I assume) a HUD, something many (most?) of us here do not use. Similarly, most of us here were never stenos adept at shorthand. Such all too often unexplained or ambiguous descriptors have a hand in keeping newbies away from sites such as 1plus1, in my opinion.

I've never understood how someone could take a moment or 3 to post yet find it too awkward or time consuming to speak plain English. If the inclination is to respond to this by saying it is part of the poker culture then any further rejoinder by me would have to include a suggestion to read some plain spoken Maggie Mead.

As for the second post, it was a partly tongue in cheek reply to b's gaping explanation. It describes the nittiest of nits, one who is raked off or blinded out by playing 11 hands in 2500.

I'm not slagging anyone here, so don't take offense. I just appreciate plain English.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLetterman View Post
                      Thanks Ed,

Nice to have someone here to translate the stats gathered from (I assume) a HUD, something many (most?) of us here do not use. Similarly, most of us here were never stenos adept at shorthand. Such all too often unexplained or ambiguous descriptors have a hand in keeping newbies away from sites such as 1plus1, in my opinion.

I've never understood how someone could take a moment or 3 to post yet find it too awkward or time consuming to speak plain English. If the inclination is to respond to this by saying it is part of the poker culture then any further rejoinder by me would have to include a suggestion to read some plain spoken Maggie Mead.

As for the second post, it was a partly tongue in cheek reply to b's gaping explanation. It describes the nittiest of nits, one who is raked off or blinded out by playing 11 hands in 2500.

I'm not slagging anyone here, so don't take offense. I just appreciate plain English.
                      don't do plain gov, so soss.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

In the spirit of inclusion I have had my secretary translate the original post.

Ladies and gentlemen,
                        When enjoying myself this evening, playing that game of skill know as "no limit Hold'em poker", I happened to find myself on a table with a chap I happen to have played before. Now I recall when previously playing with the chap that he plays a tight and aggressive style, only playing a few hands per orbit, and when he does mostly playing said cards for a raise.
                        Fortunately for me I made some notes on Hands that I was luckily enough to witness to the showdown. Upon reviewing this notes I decided to Change my personal colour code for the chap from purple (my colour of choice for chaps I feel play a TAG that is "tight aggressive" style) to Red (my code for a NIT that is an overly tight player who is only playing the very best starting hands). This lead me to wonder what exactly statistically speaking is a NIT.
                        I logged on the poker school online to see if the nice people there could throw some light on this interesting conundrum. But wait there Grade b I thought to myself why stop there why not see what they think about all villain types.
                        so for myself what do I think....well I guess
                        A NIT- an overly cautious player will be playing less than one hand per orbit of a full ring table and raising and re-raising when they do play due to the great strength of the hands they choose to play. (I code them RED)
                        A tight passive player - a cautious player playing up to (on average) 2 hands per orbit of a full ring table but rarely rising preferring rather to match the bet that is currently in play.(I code them light blue)

Tight aggressive Player - cautious player playing up to (on average) 2 hands per orbit of a full ring table and more often than not making a raise in the amount needed to continue in the hand. (I code them purple)
                        Loose passive player - a player playing (on average) 3 hands or more per orbit of a full ring table but rarely rising preferring rather to match the bet that is currently in play. (I code them green)
                        Loose aggressive player - a player playing (on average) 3 hands or more per orbit of a full ring table and more often than not making a raise in the amount needed to continue in the hand. ( I could them Orange)
                        Maniac- a player who raises and plays 4 hands or more per orbit usually for a raise ( I code them aqua)

I was wondering if you good people used any method to not the tendencies of the people that you play against and what sort of information do you use in order to draw these conclusions.

All the best

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Grade b View Post
                          In the spirit of inclusion I have had my secretary translate the original post.

Ladies and gentlemen,
                          When enjoying myself this evening, playing that game of skill know as "no limit Hold'em poker", I happened to find myself on a table with a chap I happen to have played before. Now I recall when previously playing with the chap that he plays a tight and aggressive style, only playing a few hands per orbit, and when he does mostly playing said cards for a raise.
                          Fortunately for me I made some notes on Hands that I was luckily enough to witness to the showdown. Upon reviewing this notes I decided to Change my personal colour code for the chap from purple (my colour of choice for chaps I feel play a TAG that is "tight aggressive" style) to Red (my code for a NIT that is an overly tight player who is only playing the very best starting hands). This lead me to wonder what exactly statistically speaking is a NIT.
                          I logged on the poker school online to see if the nice people there could throw some light on this interesting conundrum. But wait there Grade b I thought to myself why stop there why not see what they think about all villain types.
                          so for myself what do I think....well I guess
                          A NIT- an overly cautious player will be playing less than one hand per orbit of a full ring table and raising and re-raising when they do play due to the great strength of the hands they choose to play. (I code them RED)
                          A tight passive player - a cautious player playing up to (on average) 2 hands per orbit of a full ring table but rarely rising preferring rather to match the bet that is currently in play.(I code them light blue)

Tight aggressive Player - cautious player playing up to (on average) 2 hands per orbit of a full ring table and more often than not making a raise in the amount needed to continue in the hand. (I code them purple)
                          Loose passive player - a player playing (on average) 3 hands or more per orbit of a full ring table but rarely rising preferring rather to match the bet that is currently in play. (I code them green)
                          Loose aggressive player - a player playing (on average) 3 hands or more per orbit of a full ring table and more often than not making a raise in the amount needed to continue in the hand. ( I could them Orange)
                          Maniac- a player who raises and plays 4 hands or more per orbit usually for a raise ( I code them aqua)

I was wondering if you good people used any method to not the tendencies of the people that you play against and what sort of information do you use in order to draw these conclusions.

All the best

Grade b
                          Farkin' brilliant rejoinder, despite the sarcasm.

Comment

why thank you sir,

I shall aim for something in the middle when creating any new posts.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

That was really helpful grade b (and redletterman for instigation). I recently had a hand reviewed in tournament review forum and when I read the evaluation this morning I actually put it off until I get home as I couldn't immediately understand it. I'm sure it's valuable advice, so maybe your secretary could reword it for me?
                              Also is it possible to get these stats without a HUD? I've used a few trial versions but these expire as I'm just getting used to them. Some have so many options I get lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.