PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought others might like to see a few of these

- Child as an Avatar

It's probably really your opponent's child, and you can deduce his age within a few years by the age of the child.

-------------Training Site Avatar

Not your opponent's first rodeo. Be wary of these guys. However, your opponent also doesn't have the wherewithal to disguise the fact that he knows his stuff.

- Staking Site Avatar

Your opponent needed to be staked before because he went broke. Plays over his head.

- 420 Inside Name

Your opponent smokes pot and is proud of it.

- Avatar of a Lesser Known Poker Pro

Your opponent follows the game and probably has more than a clue.

- Avatar of a Grizzly Bear, Shark, Fisherman, or Mean Dog

Your opponent sees himself as a predator.

- Avatar of Opponent Wearing Sunglasses or Staring You Down

Your opponent is paying attention to his reputation and will avoid looking stupid. He thinks he is good.

- Birthyear in Name

Chances are that Johnny1975 was born in 1975. Older players are generally tighter, less aggressive, and less prone to overvaluing a hand. Younger players are often playing by the seat of their pants.

- Recent Year in Name

Chances are Johnny04 created his account in 2004, and he has some experience.

- Name in All Capital Letters

Chances are that your opponent, YOUAREDINNER, is aggressive.

- Picture of Girlfriend

Your opponent is likely about the age of the girlfriend.

- A Trick in a Name

"Time 11 Secs," "Seat Empty," or "Screen Name" are most likely tricky players at heart.

- Rude Name

Most likely, IOwnYourA$$ is a young, immature player, without any true skills.

Weird Bet Amounts:

- Bets 2222 with 400-800 blinds.

Your opponent is trying to get away with risking less than 3x the big blind with this tomfoolery. If you have Fold Equity, throw a reraise at him!

- Bets 999.

Your opponent is trying to make his bet "look" big, because the stack will look large. Don't be fooled. He doesn't have much. Someone with AA preflop, or the nuts, will try to not look deceptive in any way.

- Betting 2.1x-2.9x the big blind in position (bets 410-590 with 100-200 blinds)

This player is trying a cheap position raise, and, in most cases, he has a marginal hand.

I hope this gives all --------- an insight into the heads of their opponents. Remember that the ability to fake tells is out there as well, and many of these tells aren't 100% reliable. People with poor connection or multitablers may give off a false alarm. Be sure to not give off these tells, and have a screen name and an avatar that tells people nothing about your true self and isn't likely to irritate others.

Be observant, and you can pick up a whole heck of a lot!

Hope this helps!

New
    Last edited by CHILLI 2 U; Mon Feb 04, 2013, 11:01 PM. Reason: removal of wording
    2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

What if he has a picture of a drunk?..........hiccup

cheers
    Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by effsea View Post
      What if he has a picture of a drunk?..........hiccup

cheers

If there's 2's and/or 7's on the board... be very, very afraid!

John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi Chilli, Dale Philip "Daleroxxu" has a nice article on avatars in his blog. Enjoy! umbup: Joss
        2 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

If you have anything pertaining to the Al Pacino movie "Scarface" as your avatar I'm marking you as a wanna be bully,actual donkey until proven otherwise.

(Never have been as of yet...).

Comment

I think my avatar is pretty apt.. What do you think it says about me? lol

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Comment

fadyen is a cartoon?

So how old does that make me?

Grade b
              I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Fadyen View Post
                I think my avatar is pretty apt.. What do you think it says about me? lol
                Either that after around 30,000 hands in micro rings you're up about three-fiddy or that you like to ship it with KK and an Ace on board?

Comment

Hi Fadyen,

That avatar is straight from The Micros series.

Google it everyone. Enjoy!

Joss
                  Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Wed Feb 06, 2013, 08:45 AM.
                  2 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

- Avatar of a Grizzly Bear, Shark, Fisherman, or Mean Dog

Your opponent sees himself as a predator.

- Avatar of Opponent Wearing Sunglasses or Staring You Down

Your opponent is paying attention to his reputation and will avoid looking stupid. He thinks he is good.

Hehe guess my avatar makes me think ppl dont notice me im a ninja ill take ya down when you dont notice it :p

and having a mask on the emotion of my smile when i win is avoid giving away tells lol
                    don't beg for things do it yourself or else you won't get anything

Comment

Originally posted by Moxie Pip View Post
                      Either that after around 30,000 hands in micro rings you're up about three-fiddy or that you like to ship it with KK and an Ace on board?
                      I chuckled. Forever getting triple range merged.

Comment

I think the avi's to watch out for are......

The ones that don't have one, plus their stars are hidden, and they are in hide mode.

just my opinion..........hiccup

cheers
                        Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Oh and 2 year old's eyeballs eff. Dont forvet about those.

Ps. Does my nic tell you I have an empty nest? I'm playin with my nest egg? Or that my nest egg is empty? Oh, or apparently, as some have thought, I live on a mtn. Named estegg..?
                          May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Comment

What about us pirate folk, me hearties? Or are ye scurvy ridden dogs afraid? Yarrrggghh!
                            'Cause I have done it before and I can do it some more I got my eye on the score'

Comment

Originally posted by CHILLI 2 U View Post
                              Weird Bet Amounts:

- Bets 2222 with 400-800 blinds.

Your opponent is trying to get away with risking less than 3x the big blind with this tomfoolery. If you have Fold Equity, throw a reraise at him!

- Bets 999.

Your opponent is trying to make his bet "look" big, because the stack will look large. Don't be fooled. He doesn't have much. Someone with AA preflop, or the nuts, will try to not look deceptive in any way.

- Betting 2.1x-2.9x the big blind in position (bets 410-590 with 100-200 blinds)

This player is trying a cheap position raise, and, in most cases, he has a marginal hand.
                              Sometimes maybe, but be cautious about these reads... virtually no strong MTT players raise 3x any more these days outside of the very early levels when stacks are still deep. 2.0-2.5x is the most common raise size when the blinds get high, and strong players will have premiums with this sizing as well as steals.
                              Head Live Trainer
                              Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.