PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tina - Tournament Signups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tina - Tournament Signups

Last week you were circulating a proposed new tournament schedule.

While you're considering a new schedule, could you also consider extending the signup period from 1 hour prior to all tourneys to TWO HOURS prior?

- with the 1 hour signup, I pretty much can't do much between signup and start.
    OR, I'll rush to get home from work or some event, and just miss the start by 2-5 minutes - if traffic's wrong.

With 2 hours, I could actually sign up before leaving work, for instance.

Thanks for any consideration you give this idea!

Blind Bat,

I couldn't agree more! Great suggestion!

Shoeless Joe

Comment

Boy, I tell ya, this would be just grand! This dilemma is ever present even with my "Work At Home" situation and especially when I am traveling.

Would like nothing better than to have a 24 hour sign up process. Wouldnt it be great if you could sign up for the early evening tournies in the morning?

Great idea!

Bob

Comment

With a 24hr sign up You will have alot of No Shows...probably have some with a 2 hr...but not many.

Tony D

Comment

There is always a pessimist.

Ok, say you have some "No Shows". The only time it affects you is the starting hand. Then they are basically on post and fold, right? Is there a problem with this?

This would be a HUGE help to me. Should the fact that a few will not show up render this idea useless? Is that the only reason its not implemented?

As it stands, in order for me to make early evening tournies while I am traveling, I need to call someone, give them my password and have them sign me up during the hour in which it falls. Luckily, I have some friends who have helped me.

But honestly, wouldnt it be easier to have signup available earlier that day?

Bob

Comment

I agree and also would benefit greatly from extending the sign -up period to 2 hours.

I'd love to do it, see what happens and then consider the pitfalls/benefits of extending sign-up beyond the two hour point.

If no-shows ever become a problem (not gonna be for a two hour sign-up), there are solutions such as picking up chips. But probably best not to get to that point and accept that at some point practicality (is that a word?) should prevail.

Thanks, BB07, for a simple yet beneficial (for many) idea.

Later,
            Wendell

Comment

Since:

No Shows = Dead Money

I don't see a problem.

Comment

Software in some of the real $ sights handles the no-show problem by just canceling the the player out if he is not online at startup. I don't know how they do it, they must ping each entrant just prior to start up or something similar.

Anyway, seems to work.

Comment

Originally posted by wstwst
                  I'd love to do it, see what happens and then consider the pitfalls/benefits of extending sign-up beyond the two hour point.
                  Two hours is start, but not for those of us who are doing slightly bigger trips than an afternoon commute. There are many of us who start our day in either of the following ways:

1. Catch early AM flight from East Coast to West Coast and have no access to the computer until we reach our final destination.

2. Leave the house early and stay in the field all day (construction work) and, again, have no access to the computer until I return home that evening.

In either event, I know when I will be home and which tourney I would like to play, but havent the ability to sign up. The 2 hour stretch would be great for many but wouldnt resolve the problem for all.

Originally posted by double eagle
                  Software in some of the real $ sights handles the no-show problem by just canceling the the player out if he is not online at startup.
                  This gives absolutely no flexibility to those who may be running a few minutes or more late. Dont take my chips. Let them dwindle away in hopes of my return. Many tournaments allow people to join a tourney without them being present for the start.

Originally posted by TJ
                  Since:

No Shows = Dead Money

I don't see a problem.
                  In total agreement here. If I dont show, I lose! It doesnt slow down the play. It doesnt affect anybody else. It only affects me.

I would like to see a 24 hour sign up process but would settle for 12. In the interest of others, I would be grateful for the two hour stretch.

Thanks,

Bob

Comment

In the case of a no-show. Yeh, it's dead money. But put me to the right of that no-show and I'm gonna make it MY money.

Other players are at a disadvantage trying to acquire...and may indeed make some major mistakes while trying not to let the player to the right of a no-show steal all them juicy blinds.

This is not a fair advantage to allow when running tournaments. If no-shows are permitted, then chips must be pick up early in the tourny.

Later,
                    Wendell

Comment

Other players are at a disadvantage trying to acquire...and may indeed make some major mistakes while trying not to let the player to the right of a no-show steal all them juicy blinds.
                      I have been in this situation and you are right, some players will go out of their way to insure the SB or the Button doesnt steal the "No Show" blind. I have done this and realized it was a mistake. The lesson to be learned is to not overplay the hand in an effort to prevent a steal. Again, this is a school and lessons are meant to be learned.

If no-shows are permitted, then chips must be pick up early in the tourny.
                      If the rounds increase every 10 minutes and the blinds lost represent an insignificant amount in relation to the stack (ie: $750/$10K) during the first hour, then there really is not much to lose or gain. I find it hard to believe this will make a difference for the loser or the winner (of the current hand) by the end of the game.

I will concede that when the blinds increase and there are antes involved the temptation becomes greater and the propensity for others to steal or make unsubstantiated attempts to steal is heightened.

Therefore, removing "No Shows" after the first hour, although I personally find it unnecessary, would be a concession I am willing to make to gain the 24 hour sign up process.

Thanks,

Bob

Comment

How does being late for the start of an event differ from leaving or losing connection during an event?

Should anyone that is absent for a specified amount of time have their chips picked up and be summarily dismissed?

While absent players do affect the immediate instance, over the infamous long haul that effect too succumbs to the law of averages.

However, I am dissappointed that the latest change to the showdown allows absent players to win a showdown when blinded all-in. In an event yesterday one such "ghost player" managed to survive two such showdowns. An absent player should have their blinds folded in every case. To allow for the effect of disconnects, a definition of absent player that allows up to 10 minutes or 10 hands missed seems reasonable.

Comment

:P I'm with zipman on this one. Because of doctor appointments I can't play as much as I want to. Many times I've gotten home just minutes after a tourney has started.

This would be a great thing for many of us. I vote for the 24 hour signup.

ponygee :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by TrumpinJoe
                            How does being late for the start of an event differ from leaving or losing connection during an event?
                            It doesnt.

Originally posted by TJ
                            Should anyone that is absent for a specified amount of time have their chips picked up and be summarily dismissed?
                            No, not in my mind. However, if it is necessary to make this concession to gain the 24 hour sign up period, then it is a concession I am willing to make. One question that comes to mind is, what is to be done with the chips that are removed? Removing them entirely, to me, does not have the same effect as dividing the chips equally amongst the remaining players. The chips should be removed.

Originally posted by TJ
                            While absent players do affect the immediate instance, over the infamous long haul that effect too succumbs to the law of averages.
                            Again, I agree. Gaining blinds and possibly antes has little effect unless it is at the final two tables. Generally speaking, I have found (and have support from previous threads) a "No Show" is blinded out by the midway point of the tournament.

Originally posted by TJ
                            However, I am dissappointed that the latest change to the showdown allows absent players to win a showdown when blinded all-in. In an event yesterday one such "ghost player" managed to survive two such showdowns. An absent player should have their blinds folded in every case.
                            I disagree with this point. An absent player still has cards and if those cards are better, they should win. If you think an absent player should have their blinds folded, then they should be removed from the game; a view I disagree with.

Originally posted by TJ
                            To allow for the effect of disconnects, a definition of absent player that allows up to 10 minutes or 10 hands missed seems reasonable.
                            I dont understand why we should differentiate between an absent player and a disconnect. Granted, in the later stages of a game, a certain amount of time should be allowed for disconnected players to return. But, again, removing this person because of technical difficulties, for any period of time, is, in my mind, unnecessary.

Lets not lose site of the goal of this thread which is to lengthen the sign up process. Too many points, a good idea gets lost in all the rhetoric and becomes a beaurocratic nightmare. The 24 hour sign up period is an excellent idea and one I have been wanting to talk about for quite some time.

Are there any technical obstacles that would make this implementation difficult or impossible? I understand that listing all of the events could be difficult. Any others anyone can think of?

Bob

Comment

Prior to the implementation of the showdown changes (see cards when all-in and no additional action is possible) a player absent at the start of a hand was always folded out. Now that is not the case. It does affect satellites and small events.

Could advanced sign-up be made possible through the web instead of solely through the lobby? Then there is no need for showing all events in the lobby. Also, for those of us behind firewalls cannot access the lobby but may have web access.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.