PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tournament running times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament running times

Does anyone know of a way of estimating how long a tournament will take to reach it's conclusion?

I am sure there must be a formula that will give a decent estimation based upon the projected number of entrants, starting stacks and blind structure but I don't do maths very well so I cant figure it out.

Just look at past tournaments
    most are about 7-8 hours

Comment

Total number of entrants * starting stack / 90 = size of big blind when there will be 90 big blinds left in play (about 10 per stack at a full-handed final table)

That's my offhand calculation.

So, in a 5k entrant MTT with starting stacks of t1500, 5000 * t1500 / 90 = about t8000

So just look up when the big blind will be ~8000 and that'll probably be within a few levels of the game's conclusion.

Comment

If you divide by 20 instead of 90 you'll get the time to the HU match, more-or-less, so maybe that's a better calculation than my first one.

So look up when the big blind'll be around 40k.

Comment

There is a tournament coming up at 22:45 it is $1.10 buy in and capped at 1000 entrants, starting stacks are 3000. According to your last formula that should take over 7 hours if I worked it out right. It seems a bit long considering other events with a starting stack of 3000 but with 4000ish entrants take 9 hours or so.

Comment

Depends on the speed. Some tournies have a 5 minute blind structure, some 10, some 15, etc.

Like Sand said, if you plan to play the whole thing out, set aside 8 hours minimum. I'd set aside upwards of 12 if it's a slow game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
              Just look at past tournaments most are about 7-8 hours
              I've always preferred this method.umbup: sooooo much easier evil:
              Join My Home Game Club - The Joker's Wild

Comment

3k starting stacks with 15 min levels will take 8-10 hrs, depending on the players.
                Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Really no need to do the math when you can see how long the same tourney run the day before.
                  Pretty funny.

Comment

How do you see the smae tournament from the day before? And if i knew the answer then I obviously wouldn't be asking about the maths, so I don't get the joke.

Comment

I was just laughing cause you dont need to go through all the math to get your answer.

Open the lobby find the start time of the tourney you want to play.
                      Now go to the bottom right side of the lobby where you have "Show registering/upcoming only" and uncheck it.
                      Now all you have to do is scroll down to the time on the day before to see how many people where in it.click on it to open the lobby and it will show you how long the tourney ran.

Comment

Gottcha. I did try this but I couln't find the tournament from the day before. Maybe I need to adjust my filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Deleted user View Post
                          I was just laughing cause you dont need to go through all the math to get your answer.
                          But math is fun!

Comment

Working...
                          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.