PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strange calls with nothing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange calls with nothing

hi all have noticed on several occasions on this site that when i sometime occasionly do a perfect good blufff and get called by some1 with nothing but a higher nothing than me,especially strange because from players who are tight and sit there doing nothing all game ,really curious as theres no way on earth they can call my bluff,str8ts on the board,flushes etc and get called with nothing like they can see my cards very strange any1 else experienced this?

Yup. That's usually a sign that I'm overdoing my bluffs for that particular table. Bluffing is a very tricky skill to learn, because I think those are the times that you put yourself at risk more than any other in poker. Even if you do it right, you can still get called. Never expect that there's any way you can bluff perfectly, especially in play money or micro stakes games.

Comment

Your actions in a hand must tell a story (thanks to Langolier) for a bluff to have a chance to be successful. Elements of the story include not only your actions on this hand but your image.

Unaware players are not listening to your story so they are unlikely targets for good bluffs.

Comment

No limit holdem is all about situations. What type of players are at the table, what betting patterns make sense for certain hands. If your betting pattern for a certain hand doesn't add up, someone might suspect you are bluffing. For example, checking down the pot to the river then overbetting when a blank hits. Plays like that and other betting patterns can be polarizing, meaning you probably either have a monster hand or absolutely nothing(bluff). Just speaking in generalaties since your post was not specific at all.

Say this all the time, as do many others on the PSO - Never make big bluffs at 2NL and be very very picky when you do at the rest of the micros! People will call because they are bad and call too much in general!

Comment

Originally posted by RockerguyAA View Post
          Say this all the time, as do many others on the PSO - Never make big bluffs at 2NL and be very very picky when you do at the rest of the micros! People will call because they are bad and call too much in general!
          You can't bluff a donk (or a calling station).
          If you're trying to bluff early in a tourney, or in the micros (about anytime, unless you are at a table of total nits... which can happen, but not very often)... you're setting yourself up for big trouble.
          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.