PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLO - test your intuiton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLO - test your intuiton

Omaha High , showdown

A:s:A:c:T:d:9:h: vs 7:d:6:d:5:c:4:c: ....

What would you estimate the chances of the 2 hands in %age terms?

(no cheating with Turbo simulations and such, now )

cheers !

Re: PLO - test your intuiton

Originally posted by rosita
    Omaha High , showdown

A:s:A:c:T:d:9:h: vs 7:d:6:d:5:c:4:c: ....

What would you estimate the chances of the 2 hands in %age terms?

(no cheating with Turbo simulations and such, now )

cheers !
    Well, let's see...

Advantages of AAT9r:

- The aces -- can win without improvement, and can provide protection if the board pairs.
    - T9 negates some of the straight power of the small rundown (though not much).

Advantages of 7654ds:

- Powerful hand for straights...can make a straight with 98x, 87x (except 876), etc.
    - Double-suited...powerful against a rainbow hand
    - No pair means it's not so dominated against a big pair, as two pair is made more easily

I would give a slight edge to 7654ds in this case.

Chris

Comment

I'll go so far as to guess a large advantage for the 4567ds. 3:2 advantage 4567ds.

Comment

Raise Pot!!!

I like my chances just fine now.

Later,
        Wendell

(give me either hand)

Comment

well rosita, seems like a lota poker instructions start with "that depends"

guess that's true here too. are these two hands playing ONLY against each other? or, are they at a full table? etc?

if I have to choose between the two, the little cards may win more than the AA. but I really don't like either one

Comment

Originally posted by Jellow
            guess that's true here too. are these two hands playing ONLY against each other? or, are they at a full table? etc?

if I have to choose between the two, the little cards may win more than the AA. but I really don't like either one
            In this case it's showdown - theoretical, headsup, all-in etc.

Comment

Give Me the 7 6 5 4

I'll take the "Small Rundown" hand [as TJ calls it] every time.

1. Easy to get away from if a Raise War starts pre-flop!

2. Easy to fold if the flop doesn't hit the hand!!

3. If the Flop hits me, it's likely it doesn't hit anyone else!!

4. No ego involved: as in "I can't lay down A A!!"

5. Finally, flop a 8 5 4 and you've probably locked in the AA for a lot of bets!! Flop an A K Q Q and it doesn't cost you any more!!

Odds: I don't know precisely, but I'd guess something like a 3:1 favorite over the AAT9 rainbow IF I play past the flop!!

I do expect, though, to win more chips with 7654 than with AAT9 over time!

Comment

Re: Give Me the 7 6 5 4

Originally posted by Blind Bat 07
                I do expect, though, to win more chips with 7654 than with AAT9 over time!
                I think I'd agree, especially if you have position with the 7654.
                A bit (stress "bit") like AKo vs JJ in hold'em?
                The JJ is a technical favourite, but can often find itself in trouble post flop?

cheers

Comment

56% for the AAT9o

44% for the 4567ds

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by rggator
                    56% for the AAT9o

44% for the 4567ds

Randy
                    Pretty good.
                    According to Barbara Yoon on rgp it's about 53-47 in favour of the Aces, headsup and all-in. I'm just taking her word for it.
                    In real-life play it gets trickier, but if you find yourself headsup vs The Devilfish in a WSOP PLO tournament, you could pick a much worse hand than 7654ss to make a stand.

cheers

Comment

omaha hand

This seems fairly close- I don't care for the dry aces, especially
                      since there are no flush possibilities here. I don't wan't to stand raises and reraises with this hand, as I'm hoping to play it cheaply before and after the flop. Even if an ace or straight cards come, my hand is difficult to improve.

I'd rate this hand about 52% for the dry aces.

Alan

Comment

omaha hand

since there are no flush possibilities here. I don't wan't to stand raises and reraises with this hand, as I'm hoping to play it cheaply before and after the flop. Even if an ace or straight cards come, my hand is difficult to improve.

Alan

Comment

omaha hand

Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X