PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone ever win at Micros

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does anyone ever win at Micros

    I have been playing at micro stakes for over a year now. Reading new books, watching videos basically dedicating all my spare time to learning the game, however, I feel that micros is like being stuck in quicksand. No matter what you do or try, you will only sink in deeper.

    The reason I like cash games is because MTT require a lot of time and my daily life does not allow me long playing hours. But I have noticed that I am only bleeding chips aka my money. It's really frustrating even after you spend time learning the game, I must have watched almost all micro videos by TheLangolier and felix and some of them I have watched more than twice. I even have a notebook where I take notes to go through the concepts etc later. But agrrrrrhhhh nothing man... I tend to win small and loose big & 8 out of 10 times I get my money in with the best of it. And trust me this is not variance... god for over a year.. if this is variance, I guess its after me with a vengeance. I can't even remember when I sucked out on someone else... its like the rest of teh world is out there to suck out on me...

    Is there anyone out there who has made it out of micros? or most of us are just bleeding away our bankroll. in order to even show a profit @ PS, you really need a win rate of at least 1.5BB/100 - thats just to break even.

    I am sure there are people who made it out of micros, but I really need to vent my spleen. Anyone else in the same boat?? or is there anyone out there who was in the same boat and made it out of micors and have a story to share..

  • #2
    If you think you are getting it in with the best of it, try doing something bigger. For one I hate micro's because the skill level is so low they will luck you out anyway, for example in the $1,50 50fifty they tend to go all-in with pretty much any high pair. In the $3,50 They will do that with two pair, a set or if they think you are bluffing. samen with NL2/NL5 to NL10, skill level increases very much so that you can play normal poker instead of playing against all-in donks because its just change. umbup:

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree that grinding micro is really hard, as you dont often cant make a play against your opponent such as bluff. I recommend you read some of JDean article http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/?idblog=1382 which i found it useful. I personally play a lot of NL2 at past, like you i always win little n lose a bunch, so i decide to try other game to grind with, now that i play PLO i find it more easier to grind compare with NL. Maybe u can try that or you might just play Sng $1.5 or even better $3.5 which i play it regularly to practice my no limit holdem. So good luck with your grinding.... Cheer!umbup:

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey Ultra,

        Sorry to hear you are struggling but you are doing the right thing watching Felix and Lango videos and training. I along with Ahar are also doing 2 nl live training as we are learning cash so come find our sessions and see what we can help you with.
        In addition I have always been a micro sng grinder adn can play games from 9 man to 45 mans in 1 hr to 2 1/2 hrs and i multi table. I have been making good profits and am now at the $7 sng level.
        Come watch some sessions and follow others that have joined us in doing the same thing. I also have a Cowboy's Challenge in the Blog's , Acheivemnets section so come have a look.

        Gidee Up!

        Comment


        • #5
          Try the 90 man s&g at 25c buy in

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by miiione View Post
            I have been playing at micro stakes for over a year now. Reading new books, watching videos basically dedicating all my spare time to learning the game, however, I feel that micros is like being stuck in quicksand. No matter what you do or try, you will only sink in deeper.

            The reason I like cash games is because MTT require a lot of time and my daily life does not allow me long playing hours. But I have noticed that I am only bleeding chips aka my money. It's really frustrating even after you spend time learning the game, I must have watched almost all micro videos by TheLangolier and felix and some of them I have watched more than twice. I even have a notebook where I take notes to go through the concepts etc later. But agrrrrrhhhh nothing man... I tend to win small and loose big & 8 out of 10 times I get my money in with the best of it. And trust me this is not variance... god for over a year.. if this is variance, I guess its after me with a vengeance. I can't even remember when I sucked out on someone else... its like the rest of teh world is out there to suck out on me...

            Is there anyone out there who has made it out of micros? or most of us are just bleeding away our bankroll. in order to even show a profit @ PS, you really need a win rate of at least 1.5BB/100 - thats just to break even.

            I am sure there are people who made it out of micros, but I really need to vent my spleen. Anyone else in the same boat?? or is there anyone out there who was in the same boat and made it out of micors and have a story to share..
            Playing in deep stacked (100bb+) cash games is a totally different beast from MTT's. Right off the bat the statement that you tend to win small and lose big, and 8 out of 10 times get your money in with the best of it indicates to me that you may be struggling with commitment decisions, and playing too large of pots/committing stacks with hand strengths that don't always warrant it. Strong 1 pair hands for instance, on certain board textures and against certain opponents, are very good at winning small and medium sized pots but don't fair so well in large ones. I have a class coming up this Thursday on Playing Premiums in microstakes which might help as we'll covering this type of stuff.

            Also what I would suggest is, pick 2 or 3 recent sessions that you found particularly troubling, and send them in for a Live Training review, I'd be happy to do a review for you, and that should provide additional insight as to what's going on. Send me a PM if you want to do this.

            Thanks,
            Dave
            Head Live Trainer
            Check out my Videos

            4 Time Bracelet Winner



            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheLangolier View Post
              Playing in deep stacked (100bb+) cash games is a totally different beast from MTT's. Right off the bat the statement that you tend to win small and lose big, and 8 out of 10 times get your money in with the best of it indicates to me that you may be struggling with commitment decisions, and playing too large of pots/committing stacks with hand strengths that don't always warrant it. Strong 1 pair hands for instance, on certain board textures and against certain opponents, are very good at winning small and medium sized pots but don't fair so well in large ones. I have a class coming up this Thursday on Playing Premiums in microstakes which might help as we'll covering this type of stuff.

              Also what I would suggest is, pick 2 or 3 recent sessions that you found particularly troubling, and send them in for a Live Training review, I'd be happy to do a review for you, and that should provide additional insight as to what's going on. Send me a PM if you want to do this.

              Thanks,
              Dave

              Dear Miiione,

              Dave did a review of one of my STT's it was great to see and have to ask the question of why did you do that there.

              I too have watched the videos and attend some of the live trainings, you need to see how they all fit together on the table.

              If you can't beat the luck boxes in the micros through making correct plays then the higher stakes will crush you too.

              (in my experiance) for the first time in 7 years i am actually winning over a period of 3 months.

              i have losing weeks and winning weeks (last was a losing one!) but the wins are above the loses finally.

              Grade b
              I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

              13 Time Bracelet Winner


              Comment


              • #8
                The answer to your question is most dont win at the micros,all you need to do is look at the stats of those that tell you opposite.

                The investment and patience leave a lot of players lacking in the skill department.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thank you Everyone for the insight

                  I will definitely send my HH's to Dave from a session + some hands. I mostly play 50NL - but I guess although I play a TAG style, I am usually lost after the flop. It seems that everyone against me always seem to have a hand. But thank you for all the suggestions.

                  @19honu62 - thank you for your suggestion, I already play some of SnG and am sometimes able to beat $7 buy-ins - $3.5 & $1.5 are mostly OK as well. I do balance my game between SnGs and 50NL.

                  Its usually the 50NL that takes its toll on me. Unfortunately I cannot attend any live training sessions due to time zones, but I do watch them at a later date.

                  @IseeCookies - thank you - your story is encouraging and inspirational.

                  Ideally I would like to be a cash game player, as it fits the lifestyle, but the glory and glamour of MTTs is difficult to ignore as well. I like cash games, as I feel they train you better in reading hands.

                  How do I get in touch with Dave to send me HH's??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by miiione View Post
                    How do I get in touch with Dave to send me HH's??
                    PM sent.
                    Head Live Trainer
                    Check out my Videos

                    4 Time Bracelet Winner



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by miiione View Post

                      @IseeCookies - thank you - your story is encouraging and inspirational.

                      Thats what Im here for inspiration.

                      Better than sugarcoating it and saying any one can beat the micros,its not true!

                      "Some people you just cant reach.."
                      Cool hand Luke

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Profiting in micros is just a matter of using the right bait and catching those easy fish. Don't let them slip away now [IMG]//media.riemurasia.net/albumit/mmedia/69/hz2/xdq5/119069/816542322.gif[/IMG]
                        You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Brag... and answer to your question. This graph shows roughly 100,000 hands played from Febuary 2011 up to Black Friday in April. Played 2NL and 5NL 6max cash multitabling 9-12 tables(no HUD).



                          Yes plenty of people show profit at micros and higher limits as well.

                          ps. that dive in the graph to the orange dot was a horrific variance swing at the 5NL tables. Have an old blog post describing that day.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This is my view of this topic.

                            To beat the micros means that you are no longer in the micros.
                            To achieve this would mean you are properly rolled and now beating a higher level.
                            For cash I say 50NL,for MTTs I say Lower limit and higher which is $5+!

                            Most people dont have what it takes to push themselves out of the micros.
                            I have read and talked to a lot of good players and the time they invest is always on par with the amount they play that day. They play 4 hours they study close to the same amount of time.
                            How many people want it that bad here? I know one player here that I would put in that category
                            and he obviously is putting the energy he put into poker into his schooling. Panickypoker had that drive and I watched him learn the game at a amazing rate of speed.

                            Its not a easy road as to many people make it seem and it shouldnt be this way.
                            Truth should be told to people from the start,that is going to take a lot of hands to get better.
                            The micros are not beatable like they where 6 years ago. Everyone is using a hud and the forums
                            are public knowledge.Besides the economy has taken a hit around the world,so who is throwing money at the screen like the good old days.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Miiione,

                              Micros are beatable if you work hard to accomplish it ................as is being proven by several people in the Cowboy's Challenge. I have been playing poker online for about 3 1/2 yrs now and have watched alot of video and had alot of hand analysis done. I have a great coach and all this has helped me crush the micros.
                              YOU CAN DO IT TOO! Don't let anyone tell you different. But you need to work hard as in anything else! Nothing comes easy!

                              Gidee Up!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.