PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding Rake.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Rake.

One thing that has been puzzling me is how do online poker rooms calculate rake in cash games?

I can understand in Tournaments that they payout a percentage of the entry fees in prizes but how do they do it in the cash games?

If a player buys into a 1/2c cash game with $5 and wins $1.25 then leaves the table and has $6.25 returned to his account it looks like the poker room didn't profit here at all.

Just curious as to how it works?

go watch a few hands on a cash table and you'll see exactly how Poker Stars makes their money.

Comment

Originally posted by royalraise85 View Post
      One thing that has been puzzling me is how do online poker rooms calculate rake in cash games?

I can understand in Tournaments that they payout a percentage of the entry fees in prizes but how do they do it in the cash games?

If a player buys into a 1/2c cash game with $5 and wins $1.25 then leaves the table and has $6.25 returned to his account it looks like the poker room didn't profit here at all.

Just curious as to how it works?
      Each individual POT is raked.

If you watch the exact bet sizes, and add them up, you will see the poker room is taking a small percentage from each pot. when you win the pot, you get the entire amount that is left over.

So if you take down a pot that you invested $1 in, and your opponent invested $1, and which the blinds contributed 3c, you do not win take down a $2.03 pot. You take down a pot worth $2.03 - the rake amount.

See?
      Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/rake/

The above link has rake tables for all of PokerStars cash games. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
          http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/rake/ The above link has rake tables for all of PokerStars cash games. Enjoy!
          Cheers TrumpinJoe, That link answers my question. umbup:

Comment

Originally posted by royalraise85 View Post
            Cheers TrumpinJoe, That link answers my question. umbup:
            Its the reason why you have to find a table with a big average pot per hand to collect easy VPP. Big pots = more rake = more VPP

Comment

Working...
            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.