PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. player.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • U.S. player.

    I am from the U.S. and currently working in China and will be in Asia for atleast another year, can I sign up as a non U.S. player and if yes how does it work. Thanks Mike.

  • #2
    Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, as long as your address on your account shows you in the US, Pokerstars will block your ability to play for real money games. There are a number of US players running play chip games if you're interested. Along with that, there are still numerous resources here to improve your game with. Hope to see you around, and hope that even sooner, we can all play again. umbup: Let us know if you have any other questions.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by !!!111Dan View Post
      Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, as long as your address on your account shows you in the US, Pokerstars will block your ability to play for real money games. There are a number of US players running play chip games if you're interested. Along with that, there are still numerous resources here to improve your game with. Hope to see you around, and hope that even sooner, we can all play again. umbup: Let us know if you have any other questions.
      that is somehow not all true, my adress is listed in the Netherlands, and at my previous company i was playing through a proxy server that was placed in the U.S. Although my profile said Netherlands, it still showed me that I was trying to play from the U.S. and denied me access to real money games. I dont know how this works if ur registered in the U.S. and try to play from any other country...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by XxTiberxX View Post
        that is somehow not all true, my adress is listed in the Netherlands, and at my previous company i was playing through a proxy server that was placed in the U.S.

        Although my profile said Netherlands, it still showed me that I was trying to play from the U.S. and denied me access to real money games.

        I dont know how this works if ur registered in the U.S. and try to play from any other country...
        Yep, you can't play in the US, and you can't play as a US citizen. They have 2 safeguards. If you're a non-US citizen, they check the proxy server and block you there. If you're account shows a US address, they block your account from real money permanently...for now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Check out my thread in the challenge section for an American challenge. Sure, it's play money, but one of these days . . . .

          Comment


          • #6
            Er... some of you know my - sometimes strongly expressed - opinions on the subject...
            ..but in this case, I'd say it's a slam dunk, if you're not playing from the US, and above all if the money isn't going to the US, looks to me you aren't breaking any laws or rules, and who's to know anyway.

            Whether you then will have to pay taxes in China, in the US, or in Alderney on the Sunday Million Win is another matter, but start with winning that and then ask the lawyer you can afford

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jakesmm View Post
              I am from the U.S. and currently working in China and will be in Asia for atleast another year, can I sign up as a non U.S. player and if yes how does it work. Thanks Mike.
              YES YOU CAN ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS SHOW POKERSTARS THAT YOU ARE NOT LIVING IN THE U.S.A. YOU WILL NEED A COPY OF A RENTAL CONTRACT OR A LIGHT BILL IN YOUR NAME
              GOOD LUCK


              sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes just like Nanonoko did by moving to Vancouver

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by !!!111Dan View Post
                  Yep, you can't play in the US, and you can't play as a US citizen. They have 2 safeguards. If you're a non-US citizen, they check the proxy server and block you there. If you're account shows a US address, they block your account from real money permanently...for now.

                  YES YOU CAN PLAY FOR REAL MONEY DAN AS A U.S. CITIZEN
                  ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS MOVE OUTSIDE THE US


                  sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I should have stayed with "address" as I intended.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by !!!111Dan View Post
                      I should have stayed with "address" as I intended.
                      YOU SHOULD BE LIKE ME AND NEVER MAKE A MISTAKE


                      sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Maj. D Zastr View Post
                        Er... some of you know my - sometimes strongly expressed - opinions on the subject... ..but in this case, I'd say it's a slam dunk, if you're not playing from the US, and above all if the money isn't going to the US, looks to me you aren't breaking any laws or rules, and who's to know anyway. Whether you then will have to pay taxes in China, in the US, or in Alderney on the Sunday Million Win is another matter, but start with winning that and then ask the lawyer you can afford
                        A, According to US tax law he WOULD still owe taxes on any winnings,as he is STILL a US citizen. Way to encourage the flaunting of US law. B. Again from Pokerstars themselves... "Residents of the United States and United States Territories are not permitted to make deposits into their accounts or engage in real money activity (game-play,transfer of funds,or trading T$ trading) from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD." Later they go on to say this... "ANY attempt to circumvent these restrictions is a breach of the Pokerstars Terms of Service. This will lead to your account being closed and your account balance being forfeited." Way to encourage flaunting the Pokerstars T.O.S. C. You're batting a thousand. umbup: D. Are you this dense/stubborn on the tables as well?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As long as you can prove that you are living in another country, need a lease agreement that is for not less than 6 months, a foreign bank account etc then you can play on stars... there are several threads on 2p2 about this whole issue

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Moxie Pip View Post
                            A, According to US tax law he WOULD still owe taxes on any winnings,as he is STILL a US citizen. Way to encourage the flaunting of US law. B. Again from Pokerstars themselves... "Residents of the United States and United States Territories are not permitted to make deposits into their accounts or engage in real money activity (game-play,transfer of funds,or trading T$ trading) from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD." Later they go on to say this... "ANY attempt to circumvent these restrictions is a breach of the Pokerstars Terms of Service. This will lead to your account being closed and your account balance being forfeited." Way to encourage flaunting the Pokerstars T.O.S. C. You're batting a thousand. umbup: D. Are you this dense/stubborn on the tables as well?
                            A. YES HE WOULD STILL OWE U.S. TAXES B. HE IS NOT AT THIS TIME A RESIDENT OF THE U.S. SO NOT BREAKING T.O.S. C. I ALWAYS BATT A THOUSAND D. I AM KIND OF STUBBORN
                            sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Moxie Pip View Post
                              he WOULD still owe taxes ... Way to encourage the flaunting of US law.
                              ?
                              I'm encouraging flaunting?
                              I said the tax matter was another matter, ask a lawyer, except he's got to win the money first, nothing else.

                              "Residents of the United States and United States Territories are not permitted to make deposits into their accounts or engage in real money activity (game-play,transfer of funds,or trading T$ trading) from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD."
                              If you are referring to:
                              http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/tos/

                              it does not say " from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD" at all.
                              If you are referring to other TOS, which ones?

                              Way to encourage flaunting the Pokerstars T.O.S.
                              Again, it seems I'm not. Which ones?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.