PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That "other" place

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That "other" place

I don't give two hoots about this bunch of thieves, so I don't know whether this is the latest word. Might be of interest to some though.

http://www.pokerplayer.co.uk/news/la...50bfba30aafcb7

The same Bernard Tapie who was Chairman of Olympique Marseille I assume.

Who was convicted of match-fixing in 1993.

Who is clearly not fit to be in charge of a gaming company.

Standard for full-tilt.

This should get players rushing back to full-tilt's virtual felts.

Comment

Seems like good news to me if it will get that mess of a mess straightened out with the DOJ. I won't ever be playing there and never have so don't care about players funds or who is running things behind the scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by RockerguyAA View Post
        I won't ever be playing there and never have so don't care about players funds
        If you're a poker player you should care about players being cheated out of their funds regardless of whether or not you are at a personal loss. I'm just dumbfounded.
        Head Live Trainer
        Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Never liked the software or the look and feel of FT, so didn't play there much. Now we have a broken down ponzi scheme being taken over by a match-fixing bailout company? That should instill confidence in the FT site.

The players deserve their refunds. PS should watch this event unfold and offer a special bonus to FT players who transfer their FT refunds to PS. Besides, if FT can reach a favourable resolution, PS should be included and that would get our US friends back.

Herk

Comment

Seems like good news to me if it will get that mess of a mess straightened out with the DOJ. I won't ever be playing there and never have so don't care about players funds or who is running things behind the scenes.

Pretty sure at this point that Stars,FT and UB are all going to be dealt with separate from each other. They may have been in the same business as each other but the way they operated couldn't be more different.

As for not caring whether peeps who were playing there and deposited,freerolled or whatever but were competing with the expectation of being compensated for what they had won being cheated...

WTF rocker?

Comment

Originally posted by Herkstwin View Post
              Never liked the software or the look and feel of FT, so didn't play there much. Now we have a broken down ponzi scheme being taken over by a match-fixing bailout company? That should instill confidence in the FT site.

The players deserve their refunds. PS should watch this event unfold and offer a special bonus to FT players who transfer their FT refunds to PS. Besides, if FT can reach a favourable resolution, PS should be included and that would get our US friends back.

Herk
              I didn't know that you could transfer funds from one poker site to another,

How do you do that ?

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by TheLangolier View Post
                If you're a poker player you should care about players being cheated out of their funds regardless of whether or not you are at a personal loss. I'm just dumbfounded.
                amen!

Even if you do not care about fellow players and their losses because you feel poker should be an individual and competitive game, you probably should care about all that lovely money disappearing from the poker "economy" as a whole...

Sure, a bunch of it went to pay off pro's who may well cycle a good bit BACK into poker, but even those guys are probably using SOME of the ill gotten booty (ill booten gotty?) from that particular's sites implosion to fund ventures outside of poker!

Poker is a zero sum game, and the only money you can WIN is the money someone else LOSES. that means every dollar taken out of the poker economy and spent elsewhere, means 1 less dollar there for YOU to have a shot at winning...

So Dave is right, this DOES effect you too!
                Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Sorry forgot some people play on more sites than just Pokerstars. Probably should have kept that comment to myself. I do care a lot about the state of the poker industry as a whole. Personally though, players getting their funds back is very low on the importance list for me. My focus is more on Pokerstars, US regulation, DOJ, moving/working abroad to play poker. Another big reason why those funds are not important to me is because I honestly don't believe those funds will ever be returned.

Have more to say, but out of time. Will wait until I have the time to properly hash out my thoughts and not say something as unthoughtful again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Curran View Post
                    I didn't know that you could transfer funds from one poker site to another,

How do you do that ?

You are right - no site-to-site transfer. My intention was that players would take their refunds and immediately deposit the money at PS - The way my wife transfers money from my wallet to her purse. Then PS would welcome them with a bonus.

Enter Bonus Code "ByeByeFT"

Herk

Comment

Sorry forgot some people play on more sites than just Pokerstars. Probably should have kept that comment to myself. I do care a lot about the state of the poker industry as a whole. Personally though, players getting their funds back is very low on the importance list for me. My focus is more on Pokerstars, US regulation, DOJ, moving/working abroad to play poker. Another big reason why those funds are not important to me is because I honestly don't believe those funds will ever be returned.

Have more to say, but out of time. Will wait until I have the time to properly hash out my thoughts and not say something as unthoughtful again.
                      I'm wondering how much the FT thing helped or hurt the online gaming industry.
                      As much as I hate big govt, it seems and maybe it is the only, and (cringe) best way if for it to be govt regulated.
                      You cant win at a game in Vegas and get ripped off why?
                      Clearly its been shown certain private enron companies madoff cant healthsouth always arthur anderson be worldcom trusted.

Lets regulate and legalize online poker.

Comment

This is a good point Johann...

We all really do not have a CLUE how solid and solvent many of the on line poker sites are, since most of 'em are not publicly traded, thus have no need to reveal their books to ANYONE.

It is kind of like putting your faith in BANKS when there is/was no real regulation in the U.S.

You "knew" banks would take your deposits and use the money on investments, but without any real over-sight you had no clue how risky their investments were, nor how MUCH of the depositors money was actually available if you needed yours back. Back in the great depression depression (a while after the stock market crash), lack of sufficient available funds when people began to lose faith in the banks caused HUGE numbers of those institutions to collapse.

I really have to wonder how many OTHER sites would "crash" if depositors stage a similar "run" of withdrawals. Stars has shown they could weather the storm, but that still is not the same as full transparency, and government regulation. BUT...

If I were to have faith in ANY on line site, it would definately be 'Stars.
                        Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

All good points.

Online Poker is legal here in Canada - and winnings are tax free, just like they are in B&M Card rooms. I would love to have our American friends back on the real money tables at PS, but you gotta believe that when it is legalized it will be taxed. Will the rake be a deduction? Will loses be negative income?
                          Here's hoping the DoJ moves quickly.

I've heard that Canadians do not bother with small tournaments in the US because there is a 30% withholding tax and the paperwork required to track and eventually recover it is not worth the effort.

I am with you JDean - PS has my support and trust.

Comment

US tax regulations allow for gambling losses to offset gambling winnings but not other income.

Comment

Originally posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
                              US tax regulations allow for gambling losses to offset gambling winnings but not other income.
                              feds, yes... alot of states...no. Good example, you can't offset horse race winnings with losses in IL (know it applies to alot of other states too).
                              Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.