PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

three os a kind question!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• three os a kind question!!!!

Hey guys I'm new. I;m taking the courses. i have a little question. Does a set win over a strip?

whats a strip? you mean a street?

its explained in one of the first articles

Comment

I'm guessing it's a set over trips, so the correct answer would be that the full house wins.

(In order for someone to have trips the board must be paired. But that gives the person with a pair in hand and a third card on board a full house).

Comment

hand strengths are as follows, hi card, pair, two pair, 3 of a kind, straight, flush, full house, 4 of a kind, straight flush, royal flush
        May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Comment

Originally posted by jaimaster7 View Post
          Hey guys I'm new. I;m taking the courses. i have a little question. Does a set win over a strip?

I'm thinking you mean a set or trips. As I remember, they are both three of a kind. The difference is how you got them. If you have a pocket pair, and a third card comes on the board, you have a set. If you have one card, and the board shows two, you have trips.

Comment

yeah but like dreamer said, if you have a set, and somebody else has trips on the same board, you have a full house.

Comment

Originally posted by jaimaster7 View Post
              Hey Jai..welcome to the league and the forum.

Nothing beats a good strip in my eyes.

I believe you are finding your answers here. 3 of a kind is 3 of a kind no matter how you get it, but like dreamer said, if you have a set (pocket pair w/ a 3rd on the board) and the other player has trips, (a pair on the board and he's holding a 3rd card) then the set will win because he now has a full house.

Take your time in looking everything over here as there is a lot to see.
              Don't hesitate to ask any questions and enjoy.

Comment

PokerStars Game #67938706845: Tournament #445377082, 300+20 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2011/09/23 10:00:34 PT [2011/09/23 13:00:34 ET]
                Table '445377082 3' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
                Seat 1: Cairn Destop (1500 in chips)
                Seat 2: Opa_Gerry (1490 in chips)
                Seat 3: akiyuki19200 (1380 in chips)
                Seat 4: droodroo2001 (1390 in chips)
                Seat 5: mdelchambre (1700 in chips)
                Seat 6: 1apple_king (1970 in chips) is sitting out
                Seat 8: Baga3ont111 (1390 in chips)
                Seat 9: Djmirko1976 (1180 in chips)
                mdelchambre: posts small blind 10
                1apple_king: posts big blind 20
                *** HOLE CARDS ***
                Dealt to Cairn Destop [8d Qc]
                Baga3ont111: calls 20
                Djmirko1976: raises 80 to 100
                Cairn Destop: folds
                Opa_Gerry: calls 100
                akiyuki19200: folds
                droodroo2001: calls 100
                mdelchambre: calls 90
                1apple_king: folds
                Baga3ont111: calls 80
                *** FLOP *** [3h 9s 9d]
                mdelchambre: bets 440
                Baga3ont111: folds
                Djmirko1976: folds
                Opa_Gerry: raises 440 to 880
                droodroo2001: folds
                mdelchambre: calls 440
                *** TURN *** [3h 9s 9d] [8h]
                mdelchambre: checks
                Opa_Gerry: bets 510 and is all-in
                mdelchambre: calls 510
                *** RIVER *** [3h 9s 9d 8h] [Ac]
                *** SHOW DOWN ***
                mdelchambre: shows [9h 7h] (three of a kind, Nines)
                Opa_Gerry: shows [3c 3s] (a full house, Threes full of Nines)
                Opa_Gerry collected 3300 from pot
                *** SUMMARY ***
                Total pot 3300 | Rake 0
                Board [3h 9s 9d 8h Ac]
                Seat 1: Cairn Destop folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                Seat 2: Opa_Gerry showed [3c 3s] and won (3300) with a full house, Threes full of Nines
                Seat 3: akiyuki19200 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                Seat 4: droodroo2001 (button) folded on the Flop
                Seat 5: mdelchambre (small blind) showed [9h 7h] and lost with three of a kind, Nines
                Seat 6: 1apple_king (big blind) folded before Flop
                Seat 8: Baga3ont111 folded on the Flop
                Seat 9: Djmirko1976 folded on the Flop

Here is a perfect example of set verses trips. Opa_Gerry has a set. (pair in hand + one on board) mdelchambre has trips. (one card in hand + pair on board) Since both players are in the same hand, the set, (full house), beats the trips, (three of a kind).

Comment

Cairn - Thanks for the sample. I fully understand the difference between a set and trips, but was developing a headache trying to figure out the other posts - that trips beats a set because the player has two on the board. Maybe I am missing something in the explanations, but I don't see any guarantee that trips would beat a set or vice-versa. In fact, once you have a full house, you no longer have trips. Your trips just grew up, just like a set can grow up and become a boat.

So what did I misunderstand?

And welcome to the game jaimaster.

Herk

Comment

Hey Herk, thnx for the pm by the way. I think the point he's tryin to make is that it is impossible to have trips AND a set on the same hand in holdemand no trips over trips, only set over set. The other two obv. become boat v trips and boat v boat. and to tell ya the truth, I think the op meant a straight.

Comment

A set is made with a pp in the hand, and 1 card on the board for 3 of a kind.

Trips are made with 2 of a given value on board and 1 in your hand.
                      It is, however, also 3 of a kind.

There is no way a set is held that is WORSE than trips on the SAME board.
                      A set on a paired board would result in that person holding a full house, not just 3 of a kind.

It should be noted that a set tends to be a more "powerful" hand given its greater ability to win chips. This ability is derived from:

A) a set tends to be more "disguised", while it tends to be easier to read trip hands.
                      B) a set can be the nut hand, whereas a trips hand can never be the nuts.

In hold 'em, your hand value is relative to the potential nut hand, as both you and opponents will use up to 3 board cards to make your hand. This means trips will often be called by another trip hand, thus devolving the showdown to a battle of "kickers". Sets are derived merely from using 1 card on a given board, therefore they tend to be less easily noticed by opponents with good kicker top paired hands.

so if you want to look at them in terms of equity value, a set is more valuable than trips, but both tend to be quite profitable 3 of a kind hands on showdown quite often.
                      Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Tks for the clarification, MT. And JDean, as always a thorough assessment of the situation.

Herk

Comment

Working...
                        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.