PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

players notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• players notes

Hi all can someone tell me what kind of things i should be noting about players,i am playing in open skill league and started kind of taking notes but i seem to only have notes on players to try and avoid as they are calling and going all in with anything and winning alot of times,i have folded some good hole cards as i dont want to bust out early and lose points. sorry if people think this is a crazy question but any help would be appreciated. thankyou.

I used to always check HH and see what cards they are raising big with, how often they raise out of position with and with what cards... do they fold often to a raise how many hands they play etc...

Comment

oh ok thank you roomik17 for your reply.

Comment

no problem... just do a search for note taking or player notes...I know there are a few posts about this

Comment

You can also check out the videos in the live training sessions. The Langolier has one on note taking.
          3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thankyou roomik17 and yawni for your help much appreciated.

Comment

First, try to identify what style the person is playing, is he Tight- Aggressive, Loose-Passive, Maniac, Weak-Tight, a calling station, etc. etc, this is always the first note I take on a player. If you want to learn more about identifying playing styles I recommend you watch Dave's "Profiling For Exploitation" video...http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...r-exploitation

I also note what kinds of hands the player is willing to put money into the pot with, if he reraises postflop and goes to showdown note what hand strength he needed to reraise, was TPTK good enough to reraise or did he need 2 pair or better? If he calls a bet postflop and goes to showdown note what hand strength he needed to call, did he just call with TPTK, was he drawing to a straight or flush, did he have second or third pair?

Comment

Originally posted by Yawni View Post
                You can also check out the videos in the live training sessions. The Langolier has one on note taking.
                Though Dave has run this class a couple of times or more, it has yet to make it into the video archives but for sure look for it in future live training classes and hopefully they can archive this class at some point.great info! The class is titled "effective note taking" I have a couple PMs reguarding this and i'll try to copy paste them here later...and PS YOU DONT WANT TO AVOID THE ATC SHOVE MONKEYS..you want them on your buddy list..
                Last edited by mtnestegg; Tue Sep 13, 2011, 11:18 PM.
                May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Comment

Originally posted by JokerAce68 View Post
                  Hi all can someone tell me what kind of things i should be noting about players,i am playing in open skill league and started kind of taking notes but i seem to only have notes on players to try and avoid as they are calling and going all in with anything and winning alot of times,i have folded some good hole cards as i dont want to bust out early and lose points. sorry if people think this is a crazy question but any help would be appreciated. thankyou.
                  Beside your own observations about players styles,betting structure and position play
                  There are poker tracking site that have a whole heap of info on every player whether they play mtt's
                  sng's or cash ring tables which give you a fair indication of your opponents

Comment

hey joker ...gl at the tables m8.... for player tendecies I use the colour coded rings so that my notes don't get too complicated. There are a few in the prem league with the covetted green donk ring lol. as mentioned previously my notes tend to be about playing style and hand strengths associated with actions. in particular 3 and 4 bet tendencies and steal percentages as well as particular habits of players that I notice. it's good to know range as well so this finds its way into notes 4 me quite often..knowing that someone was willing to call a short stack raise with 94 off could be valuable in the future !!! any way m8 thats what I do right or wrong hope it helps cheers r0ck umbup: gl at the tables

Comment

Originally posted by mtnestegg View Post
                      Though Dave has run this class a couple of times or more, it has yet to make it into the video archives but for sure look for it in future live training classes and hopefully they can archive this class at some point.great info! The class is titled "effective note taking" I have a couple PMs reguarding this and i'll try to copy paste them here later...and PS YOU DONT WANT TO AVOID THE ATC SHOVE MONKEYS..you want them on your buddy list..

Opps!! Sorry. I didn't check the list first, just assumed it was there.
                      3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I like to note if the person will play a bigger range of hands in position, whether they can be bluffed off a hand(cant bluff bad players) if they tilt easy etc.
                        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thankyou everyone for your replies they have been a big help and very appreciated,i will keep checking the archives for that video also will check out the links i was given. thankyou all.

Comment

Working...
                          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.