PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pokerbooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pokerbooks

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask for a few suggestions for any good poker handbooks for lets say a little experienced beginners

thanks

btex

Sklansky's "Theory of Poker"

an "experienced beginner" is ready for the defintiion of the basic concepts of poker held within that book, and also should be capable of starting to make some of the adjustments for different games to apply the general poker theories effectively.
    Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Welcome tex to the forum. umbup: I had written down one that I wanted to get, but can't find my note now. It's called "Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time"..i think..and I can't remember the authors (2). I've heard great stuff about this book so I wanted to check it out myself. Let us know if you have any questions..sorry my info is incomplete.

Comment

[rwtyujkuhtrgewfrtyuioiytr
        Last edited by Weee--Waise; Mon Sep 05, 2011, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weee--Waise View Post
          Great book, Lots to be learned between the covers of that book

authors are Eric Lynch, Jon Van Fleet and Jon Turner
          Edit: Books, volumes 1 and 2. I couldn't agree more they are phenomenal.

A couple things though... first they are NLHE tournament books, so one should keep that in mind when purchasing (honestly though I would recommend them to cash players as well, the way these guys analyze hands in these books is something special).

The other thing and this is very relevant to the OP, the Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time books are NOT for beginners, they are not appropriate for the OP (yet). You can certainly get a head start but a lot of the discussion in these books will be over the head of a beginner to the game, so realize that going in.
          Head Live Trainer
          Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

thanks for suggestions, i guess i will just buy one of those and see if I can understand them umbup:

Comment

Can't imagine youve studied and applied the Langolier's video training classes and still consider yourself even a "experienced" beginner. Therefore, that's my suggestion, check em out. Then, go through them again. The stuff that goes over your head a little first makes more sense the second time. At least from my experience.

Sklanskis Theory book a must have for any poker player.

Winning T.P.One Hand at a Time on my next buy list. Heard nothing but great things about that book.
              Last edited by johannfl; Wed Aug 24, 2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Those Winning One Hand At A Time tournament books have been on my to-buy list for some time now. I was actually about to get one of them through the FPP store, but Black Friday beat me to the punch lol. I'm more focused on cash games, but did play the occasional tournament and I bet those books would help so much.

When it comes to books I have actually read, I would first recommend Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker Like The Pros. It's not the best book in the world, but it is a great beginner book and it is very cheap now($7 including shipping NEW on Amazon).

Now for the ultimate recommendation: No Limit Holdem Theory and Practice. One of the most valuable purchases I have ever made(not just for books, I'm talking anything I've ever bought). With out a doubt made hundreds of dollars of difference in my poker game. This book is not for absolute beginners. It is at intermediate level. I would recommend reading an easier book first and spending more time at the tables building some experience.

Comment

rwtyujkuhtrgewfrtyuioiytr
                  Last edited by Weee--Waise; Mon Sep 05, 2011, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.