PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is this..help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what is this..help?

    i don't know what it's called when you're card dead on every table you play on, not for a few games, but for days. is there a word for it and how do you cope with it? keep on playing in the hope it'll get better or take a break? i've had two decent hands in about 4 days...is this normal?

  • #2
    WHEN THAT HAPPENS I WOULD GO PLAY SOME PLAY MONEY GAMES TILL IT GOT BETTER
    GOOD LUCK
    P.S. NOW THATS ALL I CAN PLAY

    sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by hemetdennis View Post
      WHEN THAT HAPPENS I WOULD GO PLAY SOME PLAY MONEY GAMES TILL IT GOT BETTER
      GOOD LUCK
      P.S. NOW THATS ALL I CAN PLAY


      it is hideous!!....(spewing emoticon)

      Comment


      • #4
        Variance/downswing. The fact it's affecting you to the point where your posting about it makes me think you could use a break. When it happens to me I don't play for a couple days and usually come back playing very focused and feeling really sharp.

        Comment


        • #5
          thank you paidinfull.....don't know if i can manage live without poker but i'll try....maybe 1 day is all it'll take.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bindy67 View Post
            i don't know what it's called when you're card dead on every table you play on, not for a few games, but for days. is there a word for it and how do you cope with it? keep on playing in the hope it'll get better or take a break? i've had two decent hands in about 4 days...is this normal?
            hi bindy,

            1st let me say, l'm not a teacher or pro of any sort, just a guy that loves the game, but has been playing for years online, that being said, here's my train of thought on being card dead.

            if your card dead -

            you have to make due with the cards you get, by playing position, feel of the table etc.
            bluff, play aggressive in the right spots, l have won pots with crap, the cards will not always come, sometimes you have to play what you get,

            if your on tilt -

            take a day off or two, or go play freerolls, shove any two cards,

            please remember, this is just my opinion

            cheers
            Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

            7 Time Bracelet Winner


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by effsea View Post
              hi bindy, 1st let me say, l'm not a teacher or pro of any sort, just a guy that loves the game, but has been playing for years online, that being said, here's my train of thought on being card dead. if your card dead - you have to make due with the cards you get, by playing position, feel of the table etc. bluff, play aggressive in the right spots, l have won pots with crap, the cards will not always come, sometimes you have to play what you get, if your on tilt - take a day off or two, or go play freerolls, shove any two cards, please remember, this is just my opinion cheers
              thanks effsea....it's both...i'm beginning to tilt cos of the endless bad cards.....i have started bluffing more often but i find it very hard to play aggressively though i try.....funny that, cos in my real life pre-stroke i was uber-aggressive. gonna take a day off.umbup:

              Comment


              • #8
                re evaluate yourself...are you playing nitty? what hands are you really waiting for? i agree with offsea, loosen up in later positions. remember its math when it comes to what u are dealt. the cards will in the long run be equal. its what u do w/ them that seperates the winners and losers.
                also another idea is try a smallball - daniel negranu- style approach for a bit. maybe itll work for you here. . if youre not familiar w/ it, look it up. im not saying change your style,but anything to get you off your current state of mind that you need ceertain cards to continue or even be agressive...plus its a great weapon to have in your arsenal. cheers. j.
                Last edited by johannfl; Mon Aug 08, 2011, 01:28 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johannfl View Post
                  re evaluate yourself...are you playing nitty? what hands are you really waiting for? i agree with offsea, loosen up in later positions. remember its math when it comes to what u are dealt. the cards will in the long run be equal. its what u do w/ them that seperates the winners and losers.
                  also another idea is try a smallball - daniel negranu- style approach for a bit. maybe itll work for you here. . if youre not familiar w/ it, look it up. im not saying change your style,but anything to get you off your current state of mind that you need ceertain cards to continue or even be agressive...plus its a great weapon to have in your arsenal. cheers. j.

                  hi johann...yeah i am relatively nitty, it's the way poker school taught me to be, lol... but i'd be happy with connectors, in fact i like them as much as high pairs....but i'm getting 2,7....3,10....all day long. it makes for an extremely boring time. by which time i'm ready to go all in with a raggy ace. nah, not really but you get the drift.

                  i had a look at daniel's smallball and it sounds feasible for me to be able to play....will spend the day reading up on it more.

                  the poker pro's all seem to make it look so easy on tv

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    btw nice to chat w/ again. youre a much better player than you think/say u r. gl . johann

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by johannfl View Post
                      btw nice to chat w/ again. youre a much better player than you think/say u r. gl . johann

                      why, thank you

                      nice to chat with you again too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Try playing a different type of game. For me, I'm card dead in almost every league game I play. Usually get 1 or 2 good hands per game, if that. This is consistent from month to month. Someone up there doesn't want me winning the league I guess.

                        But if I play 50/50 SNGs, I get a lot more premium hands than in any MTT. Not sure why this is, but it's true.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hello bindy!

                          Long time no chat!

                          These things happen. I hit a downswing that started around Black Friday (for whatever reason) and lasted til July.

                          I'd be busto if I wasn't so **** about BRM.

                          I just stopped playing anything over .25 and since then its been much better. I'm about ready to start sticking my toes back in the waters of 1.10 MTTS again.
                          I don't really remember any long run of horrible cards and I'm not geiting an unusual amount of good cards now.
                          I think the difference is the good cards are holding up and I'm getting an occasional suckout

                          Maybe I'm learning something too??

                          Take care and hang in there-it gets better!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi bindy, eff is right, you may have only gotten 2 playable hands in the past 4 days, but you've gotten many more playable situations.

                            Try covering up your hole cards with a sticky note for a while. That will force you to not play your cards.
                            Head Live Trainer
                            Check out my Videos

                            4 Time Bracelet Winner



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TheLangolier View Post
                              Hi bindy, eff is right, you may have only gotten 2 playable hands in the past 4 days, but you've gotten many more playable situations.

                              Try covering up your hole cards with a sticky note for a while. That will force you to not play your cards.
                              I think (not 100% sure) there's now an option to cover hole cards just a thought.. GL
                              May the tinfoil protect you. MT

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.