PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explanation help/needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explanation help/needed

So, figured I'd lay this scenario down see if someone can explain why I held the losing hand:

me: 8d 8s

opponent: 7h Kd

table: As Ah 6h Qs Qh

opponents wins with a King high kicker? (btw this happened on a different poker game not on here, yet wanted an explanation if possible. I know a bit about poker and can hang, yet I am baffled here as to why I lost.)

Q's pairing counterfited your pp

Comment

No. It was definately the Aces

Comment

both board pairs are shared by each player

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Aug 29, 2011, 08:06 PM.
        4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Really? Best five cardsAAQQK notAAQQ8 called being couterfeit
          May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Comment

Originally posted by mtnestegg View Post
            Really? Best five cardsAAQQK notAAQQ8 called being couterfeit
            Your 88 was good until the last Q on the river. Then your hand "improved" to AAQQ8. The pair of 8's is "counterfeited", meaning that they no longer count as a pair. Since your opponent was holding a K in his hand, his fifth card beats your fifth card.

There is a lot of information in the lessons on this web site. Time to start studying and good luck at the tables.

Herk

Comment

King
              kicker my good fellowgl F.M

Comment

If this were omaha, you would have won (other cards being irrelevant), since omaha requires that two cards from your hand be used. In holdem, you don't have to use any cards from your hand. In this case, AAQQK beats AAQQ8.

Comment

In hold em, you can play 1 card form your hand, both cards, or NO cards...

You play AAQQ from the board, and as your 88 is lower than QQ, you play 1 from your hand (since your 8 is higher than the off card on board).

Your hand = AAQQ 8

Villain plays 1 card from his hand as well, only his is a K.

His Hand = AAQQ K

Result: you lose.
                  Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                  X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.