PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for new players

It took me a while to figure out some stuff about stars and thought I would get a post going on things
    we learned and would like to pass on.

1.)How do you bet odd amounts?
    A) click on the bet amount and clear the amount,now type in the amount you want to bet.

2.) How are you betting a set percentage of the pot?
    A.) click options next to requests on the upper portion of your screen.
    Now click bet slider options. I have mine set for tourneys so the the first one is set @ 2.1xbb
    but of course I am changing these all right now.Button 2 was 2.3 and 3rd button was 3.5xbb.
    Just to give you a idea of numbers.
    Percentage of pot was 50%,60% and 80%..I used 80% mainly against fish.

3.)How do I save a hand history?
    A.) On the upper right of the table is a red button.On the left of it is the table # and hand#,click on that and it opens up a screen that you now click through till you find the hand you wanted.
    Now go to the upper menu bar and click on "edit".
    Click copy and now you can paste it anywhere you want.
    You can also highlight the hand and drag it onto your screen.
    This saves it as well.

4.)How can I replay a hand and see what the opponent had?
    Red button top right corner,click on it and it will open a replayer that you can play a set amount of hands at the table.
    This is a good feature if you have just been moved in a tourney and want to get a idea of who is aggressive and their hand ranges.Usually you can see 7 hands before you arrived.

Any more tips that are basic and not related to PSO,feel free to add or correct.

nevermind...was #2...getting old here.

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Thu Jul 14, 2011, 11:55 PM. Reason: need a break

Comment

GOOD INFO. COOKIES TOOK ME SOME TIME TO FIND ALL THIS STUFF umbup:umbup:
      sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

Comment

good stuff cookies.... I think I will now start a thread with the exact same info and see if I get more repliesumbup:

Comment

Don't forget to tell them not to follow the light Roomy

Comment

Originally posted by roomik17 View Post
            good stuff cookies.... I think I will now start a thread with the exact same info and see if I get more repliesumbup:
            Im still baffled on why that happens

Comment

Children are more into spongebob than a cookie monster!! evil:
              Join My Home Game Club - The Joker's Wild

Comment

Originally posted by Deleted user View Post
                2.) How are you betting a set percentage of the pot? A.) click options next to requests on the upper portion of your screen. Now click bet slider options. I have mine set for tourneys so the the first one is set @ 2.1xbb but of course I am changing these all right now.Button 2 was 2.3 and 3rd button was 3.5xbb. Just to give you a idea of numbers. Percentage of pot was 50%,60% and 80%..I used 80% mainly against fish.
                I played on Stars for a little over a year before Black Friday, and had no idea you could do that. I used to calculate the percentages in my head. I got pretty good after a while at knowing what my bet sizes should be at different blind levels, but I couldn't tell you how many times I timed out (or requested time) trying to calculate my bet sizes. Good stuff Cookies. umbup: I'll have to remember this when they let us back on Stars.

Comment

Originally posted by joker41673 View Post
                  Children are more into spongebob than a cookie monster!! evil:
                  Children these days don't have many choices when it comes to good cartoons.

Comment

Originally posted by ssuglia View Post
                    I played on Stars for a little over a year before Black Friday, and had no idea you could do that. I used to calculate the percentages in my head. I got pretty good after a while at knowing what my bet sizes should be at different blind levels, but I couldn't tell you how many times I timed out (or requested time) trying to calculate my bet sizes. Good stuff Cookies. umbup: I'll have to remember this when they let us back on Stars.
                    I don't think it was there for very long before Black Friday. I remember a bunch of us in vent finding it around February or maybe a little before. It may have been there, but a lot of us didn't know. I like that you can change it while playing too. A lot of the time early in tourneys I would use some standard stuff, like 2.5, 3, 3.5...then as we got deep, I'd change it to 2.2, 2.4, 2.7..depending on the players, stack and such. umbup:

Comment

I didn't realize we could color-code notes until Moxie Pip was talking about it the other day here in this thread: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...8-OPR-Rankings... Is that new? I've been labelling straight-forward players as green, and maniacs as red (VPIP/PFR of like 85/50 lololllolloool!) ... I may add some extra 'fancy' later on! (Not good at describing instructions - but thought that was a pretty cool feature umbup

Comment

More tips for new players

Your hand is not as good as you think it is.

Fold.

Comment

Originally posted by TrustySam View Post
                          I didn't realize we could color-code notes until Moxie Pip was talking about it the other day here in this thread: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...8-OPR-Rankings... Is that new? I've been labelling straight-forward players as green, and maniacs as red (VPIP/PFR of like 85/50 lololllolloool!) ... I may add some extra 'fancy' later on! (Not good at describing instructions - but thought that was a pretty cool feature umbup
                          THAT'S BEEN THERE FOR A LONG TIME MAKES IT KIND OF EASY TO MARK A LOT OF PEOPLE QUICK
                          sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

Comment

If a player at the table is chatting to you and you are not interested in them
                            Right click the players avatar and block chat bubble/block chat

Comment

Originally posted by TrustySam View Post
                              You can even change the colors too Sam. To color a player, double click on them, then notes will pop up in your chat box. On the left of the players name will be a small white box that changes to yellow if you enter a note. Click on that white/ yellow box and you get choices of colors to change to pop up. You can do this with no player in the notes too...just hit notes, then the empty white box. To change the preset colors..... ...once you have the color choices pop up, at the bottom it will say "edit player labels." Click that and now you have a window pop up with the preset colors. Here, you can even label your choices for whatever you want..maybe green for maniacal, red for TAG, Blue for LAG...and so on. While that window is open, click on the color and you get a bunch of choices. To get a complete spectrum of colors to choose from, hit 'define custom colors' and there ya' go. umbup:

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.