PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Smoke the Donkey finds a new home (for pet lovers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Smoke the Donkey finds a new home (for pet lovers)

I guess this doesn't really have anything to do with poker, but it's kind of a nice story

The chest-high donkey's story begins in the summer of 2008, when he wandered in to Camp Taqaddum west of Fallujah, a former Iraqi air base being used by Marines.

The smoke-colored donkey, which once snatched and ate a cigarette from a careless Marine, soon became such a part of the unit that he received his own care packages and cards. Marines took care of him until 2009 when they left the area, but they turned Smoke over to a sheik who promised to care for him.

But one of the Marines, retired Col. John Folsom, couldn't forget Smoke.

Folsom used to walk Smoke daily and had formed a bond with the animal. It didn't seem right that Smoke was left behind, he said in a telephone interview Saturday.

Folsom, the founder of a support group for military families, Wounded Warriors Family Support, decided to see if Smoke could be brought to the United States to serve as a therapy animal.

(Rest of story here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20062985.shtml)

Great story, thanks for sharing

Comment

I guess it's no more online poker for Smoky, what with the whole FBI thing and all - but nice he gets to be with his pal

Comment

What a heartwarming story, thank you for sharing. I'm an animal lover, this story brought tears to my eyes.
        Bracelet Winner

Comment

Nice story. I really don't know why donkey has become such a derogative term in poker circles.

Comment

Working...
          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.