PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Bad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Bad

I'm sure everyone has experienced it at one point or another. When for a long period of time absolutely none of your hands will hold up. Aces lose to smaller pocket pairs, AK loses to Arags, or even losing like 9 out of 10 coin flips.

What do you guys do to get through your bad runs? Take time off? Just play more and more talbes to try and get through it? Play lower limits?

** Also, I noticed that the last time I cashed out any money on PS, I ran super bad for a very long time. Has this happened to anyone else? Or is it just me being superstitious?

I just say "Variance sucks!" and go to the next hand.

Comment

Thats one of the greatest myths going about cashing out,but I am superstitious as well and make sure I dont leave myself short when I do cash out.I have a lot of crazy beliefs,like I only run good at night and days are a write off.

Im on a bad run myself but I think its more to do with opening up my game and testing reads instead of folding to the river spew bets from villians.

Comment

Varience will naturally fluctuate over time. I'm guessing you cashed out during or directly after an upswing in your luck. Of course, the upswing doesn't last any longer than a downswing would. So not long after withdrawing, your luck returned to normal levels or even hit a downswing. The only way forward from an upswing is down. Got to love variance...

How to handle downswings? I tried asking the same question in the 'ask pokerstars pros' section and never got a reply. After having a very bad run of luck and going on tilt, I find that I need to take some time to cool off. It takes 18 - 48 hours for me after the very worst of the worst. During that time I try to clear my head and regain focus on my goals.

Comment

Interesting you say that Cookies, I was wondering if any one else felt that way about playing during the day vs. at night. I my self feel I am better at night rather during the day. I can't offer any good advice to this topic for my cash game is horrid and realize I need to watch Dave's Lessons and take good notes! umbup: - Dry

Comment

@Drywallman3

One factor is the regs are move active in the day,but I have noticed a few switch over to take advantage of the smaller fields at night.I remember back in Jan. I came in 3rd I think in the 18k
            and thought I found a goldmine.Within a week the field got 4xtougher.Im guessing word of mouth got out how soft it was.
            SNGs are way easier at night but they take forever to fill up.When I say easier I am still getting bad beat..lol

Comment

i once knew this overweight kid in school, he ran bad alot but only in gym class

by the way too2coo how do i get a warning for asking a ? about daniel neg?....i dident insult anyone i just asked a question.

Comment

To ask about some ones sexuality is offensive.
                A good rule of thumb is if you cant say it to there face dont say it at all.
                Poker is a supposed to be gender neutral and sexuality falls under the same umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by ericlee1984 View Post
                  i once knew this overweight kid in school, he ran bad alot but only in gym class

by the way too2coo how do i get a warning for asking a ? about daniel neg?....i dident insult anyone i just asked a question.
                  You weren't just asking a question you were making an implication. I strongly suggest that you drop this now.

Comment

Originally posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
                    You weren't just asking a question you were making an implication. I strongly suggest that you drop this now.
                    really i was just asking a question, no harm no foul but we can consider it dropped i suppose.

Comment

??

i am a student-- most underlined sentence in my folder- is

variance is just that-- the way the cards fall-- if you can continually beat the game-- and get it in good-- your reward will come---

Comment

The other day I was in a tourney complaining to myself about the bad beats i've been getting relentlessly lately. I was playin pretty tight on a loose/donkish table and I was down to 11 BB, had Q4 in middle posit, UTG went all in, because I was chatting and stalling a bit I ACCIDENTALLY hit "call." Then two other people call after me!! Grrrrrr.

I s*** you not, the flop was q44. Ended that session deep in the money.

I was also wondering how many people that thought they had a good read on me that day were scratching their head after that.

Anyway thought that was kinda funny, and personally, instead of just working through the variance, I usually chill for awhile when I'm feelin that "nothings goin right for me" thing so as to avoid tilt.
                        Last edited by johannfl; Wed Apr 06, 2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

running bad or playing bad
                          I find players blame variance when its really they play incorrectly
                          I hate the terms variance
                          i hate the term bad beat
                          AA wins 80% of time
                          80+20=100
                          AA loses 20% of time
                          20% = bad beats ...... no
                          20% = 100% - 80%

it is the equation being satisfied

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_averages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli_trials

hole cards are like the beginning of a coin toss
                          so preflop play is like a bernouli trial
                          flop hits and now you have another coin toss and another bernouli trial
                          turn hits and once again its another coin toss and another bernouli trial
                          river hit and now you have the final coin toss and the final bernouli trial for that hand '

each bernouli trial is in fact coin toss
                          the question is is it a fair coin toss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_coin

AA vs KK is not a fair coin toss and that is what you want
                          how long does it take before choosing the correct coins leads to profit ??

if its one die it appears to take 500 bernouli trials
                          hmmmmmm
                          if I multi table I will reach 500 bernouli trials in just a few hours

there are no bad beats
                          there is no variance over time

poker is a series of bernouli trials
                          try a million trials
                          Last edited by XXChris123; Wed Apr 06, 2011, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.