PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good play, bad beat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good play, bad beat?

    I was playing my fav tournament, the $5.50 + R($25-Add on) $4K guaranteed. It's my favorite because it is full of donks who go all in on the most absurd hands. Anyway, I had tripled up with Queens against two Ace-rags and then I got shoved all in by the same donk and I figured I was ahead with AQ so I called. Kings called too, but even if Kings won I would of still had about the same sized stack. The big stack donk has AJ and hits a J... right play?

  • #2
    Hand history goes a lot farther than a recap like this.
    If you run a tracker that would also help if you showed us stats for yourself and the villians in the hand.Since you are doing none of this,I will point to something that you can fix.

    Stop playing this tourney till you bink a micro tourney,you are just killing your ROI and investing so much for $4k payout.1st is a bout $1081,so it doesnt make sense to be playing this for $40+!
    If you where cashing in this more than you are it wouldnt be a problem.

    Comment


    • #3
      No, prize pool get to 7 k usually, first is close to $1400.

      I never rebuy. Only invest $5.50

      Got 4th once
      Cashed another time.

      Comment


      • #4
        well you have not cashed in your last 20 tournaments, and spent over 70 bux.... maybe look into bankroll mgt

        Comment


        • #5
          Regs will addon before the start of the tourney,usually you can spot the weaker players by this.
          Thats one mark against you and they will be watching to see how you react to a big bet.
          If you are folding you might as well be dead money.

          Makes no sense to play in a rebuy when you are not playing the same tourney as everyone else.
          To many reasons to list for why this is wrong.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've never played a money rebuy, or know any rebuy strategy. Aside from the initial rebuy at the tournay start, why is it bad to have a no-rebuy policy? It would make your tourneys shorter on average, but is it really bad?

            Comment


            • #7
              http://www.coinflippoker.com/artrebu...ntstrategy.htm read this it has some good advice.... umbup:

              Comment


              • #8
                15. How should I play rebuys?
                There is no set in stone way, here are a few guidelines:

                2+2ers generally like to take an immediate rebuy (double your stack before you play the first hand) but many don’t do this. Taking the add-on however is all but compulsory, the only real time you shouldn’t be taking it is when you have very few chips at the end of the rebuy period and have given up on cashing in the tournament. In other words, passing on the add-on is tantamount to giving up on the tournament completely.

                When considering playing a rebuy, realize that you need to be budgeted to spend 3-4 times the buy-in at least, playing a rebuy as if it were a freezeout and quitting if you lose your chips is extremely ill-advised. In terms of how you want to play during the rebuy period, you shouldn’t depart from your regular game too much, some players like to slightly adjust their thinking and pretend their M is actually < 10 when it isn't. The main thing to do is take into consideration the way other people are playing and adjust accordingly, a lot of people play very loose/bad poker during the rebuy period determined to come out of it as the chip leader, you need to take advantage of that.

                Also, Party Poker has a 'bug' affecting it's rebuy tournaments which allow players to rebuy whenever they are all-in (regardless of the outcome of the hand). The bug is pretty much common knowledge and used by many players. Whether or not you want to use it, it's something you should know about.


                The above is from:
                http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/23...h-function-68/

                ICM is a pretty big factor into why you want to rebuy at the start as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for that. Seems like a fun but expensive way to play.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dirtyrubberz View Post
                    15. How should I play rebuys?
                    There is no set in stone way, here are a few guidelines:

                    2+2ers generally like to take an immediate rebuy (double your stack before you play the first hand) but many don’t do this. Taking the add-on however is all but compulsory, the only real time you shouldn’t be taking it is when you have very few chips at the end of the rebuy period and have given up on cashing in the tournament. In other words, passing on the add-on is tantamount to giving up on the tournament completely.

                    When considering playing a rebuy, realize that you need to be budgeted to spend 3-4 times the buy-in at least, playing a rebuy as if it were a freezeout and quitting if you lose your chips is extremely ill-advised. In terms of how you want to play during the rebuy period, you shouldn’t depart from your regular game too much, some players like to slightly adjust their thinking and pretend their M is actually < 10 when it isn't. The main thing to do is take into consideration the way other people are playing and adjust accordingly, a lot of people play very loose/bad poker during the rebuy period determined to come out of it as the chip leader, you need to take advantage of that.

                    Also, Party Poker has a 'bug' affecting it's rebuy tournaments which allow players to rebuy whenever they are all-in (regardless of the outcome of the hand). The bug is pretty much common knowledge and used by many players. Whether or not you want to use it, it's something you should know about.


                    The above is from:
                    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/23...h-function-68/

                    ICM is a pretty big factor into why you want to rebuy at the start as well.
                    there is positive aspects to making a full buy to start, but in especially "shove-y" re-buy events, especially those with a lot of spots paid (thus a SMALL amount over the initial buy in for a min cash), there is a lot to be said for starting on a half stack.

                    That half stack does not seem like as much of a "threat" to the larger stacks, thus they will often double or triple you up without you haivng to pay the extra add-on.

                    Avoiding too much "investment" in the event if the min cash is near the initial buy in amount is also very improtant; if you pay too many add-ons/re-buys, you will often need to finish much higher than a min cash to make any profit.

                    So a lot of what I do depends on my table...

                    If I see 'em ALL making the double buy to start, I am mre likely to do so; if not, then I will single buy to start, and double buy if I bust.

                    The stuff about not leaving unless a double buy/add on very LATE will have you hugely under the average stack (or in seriously bad M position) is spot on though...

                    Good info.
                    Double Bracelet Winner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Totally..agee about that.
                      I always watch what the table does before the first hand.
                      IF it is a table of regs I might hold off on the buyin for one round and try and sneak my double up during a hand.Like I mentioned before about regs buying in before the 1st hand,you can also pretend to be that fish for 1/2 a orbit.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't think you guys are getting the message here.

                        This is the DONK of all DONK tournaments.... these people will literally THROW money away... so me starting with less chips doesn't matter because as long as I pick up a monster fairly early I will be successful in it.

                        I made a logical call but unfortunately the most unlikely scenario happened and the weaker hand knocked me out.

                        This is only the 5th time I've played this but okay let's figure this... I have spent $27.50 on this tournament and I have made about $550 off it.... not a bad return... especially considering all the money I piss away on sit and go's.

                        There are always 250-320 people or so... 15% paid... top prize gets over $1300 a lot... it really is a good one and the chips are usually very easy to get because they throw them at you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PresBruno View Post
                          I don't think you guys are getting the message here.

                          This is the DONK of all DONK tournaments.... these people will literally THROW money away... so me starting with less chips doesn't matter because as long as I pick up a monster fairly early I will be successful in it.

                          I made a logical call but unfortunately the most unlikely scenario happened and the weaker hand knocked me out.

                          This is only the 5th time I've played this but okay let's figure this... I have spent $27.50 on this tournament and I have made about $550 off it.... not a bad return... especially considering all the money I piss away on sit and go's.

                          There are always 250-320 people or so... 15% paid... top prize gets over $1300 a lot... it really is a good one and the chips are usually very easy to get because they throw them at you.
                          If you've made $550 why did you ask Shark for $$ recently?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            lol

                            Originally posted by PresBruno View Post
                            I was playing my fav tournament, the $5.50 + R($25-Add on) $4K guaranteed. It's my favorite because it is full of donks who go all in on the most absurd hands. Anyway, I had tripled up with Queens against two Ace-rags and then I got shoved all in by the same donk and I figured I was ahead with AQ so I called. Kings called too, but even if Kings won I would of still had about the same sized stack. The big stack donk has AJ and hits a J... right play?

                            you love donks here, but you hate donks in the pso?

                            hmmm. makes me think,

                            hiccup
                            Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

                            7 Time Bracelet Winner


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PresBruno View Post
                              This is only the 5th time I've played this but okay let's figure this... I have spent $27.50 on this tournament and I have made about $550 off it.... not a bad return... especially considering all the money I piss away on sit and go's.
                              That IS a pretty good return.
                              Unless it is fictitious, like your 1st million dollars you said you won in your blog, or your Sunday Million victory--
                              I checked OPR.... nuttin...

                              I'm just sayin...
                              Last edited by tazz864; Sat Feb 26, 2011, 06:08 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.