PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darwens Theory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Darwens Theory

    I have noted a few recent threads reference "knuckle draggers", now being a firm believer in Darwins "proven" theory of evolution I am concerned that this is intended as an insult of some kind to those of us that accept our quadraped ancestory, or it may be a slanted insult that anyone who does not accept a posters given point ot view must be further down the evolutionary chain than the poster.

    Either way this thread has no intrinsic purpose in itself other than to merely point out that us "knuckle draggers" have evolved the same mental capacity as the remainder of the homo erectus sub-species and that the use of opposable thumbs is not unique.
    Last edited by bogweed1964; Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:39 AM. Reason: Correct RCSDStar's typo error

  • #2
    the only thing I read was "I can't spell the name Darwin".

    Comment


    • #3
      He probably got his thumbs mixed up. After all, it is Friday

      Comment


      • #4
        Too right Dman, don't know my Merlot from my Shiraz Cabernet

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bogweed1964 View Post
          being a firm believer in Darwins "proven" theory of evolution
          I feel so sorry for you.....but, this is not the correct forum to discuss it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Oh Ace. Don't start. We've had enough bible bashing in this place

            Comment


            • #7
              You bring up a good idea I think Johnny. Would it be a good idea to have a "Non-Poker Related" forum? I think it would. It would cut down on the clutter in the general forum. It would also put non-poker items in a place where, if you don't wish to check it out, you don't have to.
              Also, this community is quite interactive...we discuss sports and other topics as friends and I personally wouldn't like that to cease. So maybe if we had a place for people to put anything non-poker related in, it could be beneficial. It should still adhere to the rules of no politics or religion imo...those 2 cause way too much antagonism.
              Curious what the mods, staff, and everyone thinks on this.

              ps. bog.... just wonderin' about a couple things. What about that little issue of the "missing link?" 2nd, why do domesticated pigs devolve to wild boars in only 2 generations? ..
              Last edited by !!!111Dan; Sat Feb 26, 2011, 02:58 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by !!!111Dan View Post
                Would it be a good idea to have a "Non-Poker Related" forum? I think it would.
                I agree. +1

                For the anti-clutter reasons mentioned.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bogweed1964 View Post
                  I have noted a few recent threads reference "knuckle draggers", now being a firm believer in Darwins "proven" theory of evolution I am concerned that this is intended as an insult of some kind to those of us that accept our quadraped ancestory, or it may be a slanted insult that anyone who does not accept a posters given point ot view must be further down the evolutionary chain than the poster.

                  Either way this thread has no intrinsic purpose in itself other than to merely point out that us "knuckle draggers" have evolved the same mental capacity as the remainder of the homo erectus sub-species and that the use of opposable thumbs is not unique.
                  Ummmm, by definition, a "theory" once proven, is a "law."

                  I'm just sayin'...
                  +1 for intelligent design...

                  Also, if your so big on evolution, you honestly think life happened "di novo' from some random organic soup?? With all the medical breakthroughs, why cant 'spontaneous generation' be duplicated under pristine conditions in a lab??
                  Last edited by tazz864; Sat Feb 26, 2011, 05:56 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by !!!111Dan View Post
                    You bring up a good idea I think Johnny. Would it be a good idea to have a "Non-Poker Related" forum? I think it would. It would cut down on the clutter in the general forum. It would also put non-poker items in a place where, if you don't wish to check it out, you don't have to.
                    Also, this community is quite interactive...we discuss sports and other topics as friends and I personally wouldn't like that to cease. So maybe if we had a place for people to put anything non-poker related in, it could be beneficial. It should still adhere to the rules of no politics or religion imo...those 2 cause way too much antagonism.
                    Curious what the mods, staff, and everyone thinks on this.

                    ps. bog.... just wonderin' about a couple things. What about that little issue of the "missing link?" 2nd, why do domesticated pigs devolve to wild boars in only 2 generations? ..
                    To be in honest I thought the General Forum already was pretty much non-poker but an additional trash can to throw our muses in would be good.

                    As for the missing link Dan, there ain't one, fossil records are complete enough to trace us back as far as you'd like to go, a bit like Ancestry.com without a flashy website.

                    Your pigs have been artificially "evolved" by humans by selective breeding, once that constraint is removed they return along a natural evolutionary path governed by the gene pool in which they are breeding. Similar to stopping pedigree dog breeding, it wouldn't take long for the mixed gene pool to create dogs that all looked similar and intrinsically the same as they were prior to selective breeding, ergo Dingos in Australia.


                    Originally posted by tazz864 View Post
                    Ummmm, by definition, a "theory" once proven, is a "law."

                    I'm just sayin'...
                    +1 for intelligent design...

                    Also, if your so big on evolution, you honestly think life happened "di novo' from some random organic soup?? With all the medical breakthroughs, why cant 'spontaneous generation' be duplicated under pristine conditions in a lab??
                    Thats a choice selection of the meanining of the word theory, I'll throw in Wikipideas as I'm too lazy to type out the Oxford English:

                    In the sciences, a scientific theory (also called an empirical theory) comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such ...

                    As for "spontaneous" life in a laboratory, I don't think for one minute that life was created in a laboratory 3.8 billion years ago and therefore cannot see the likelihood of it occurring in one now, maybe if an experiment was run for 10 billion years, the length of time it took for that life to form in the first instance, a similar if not uniquely different result could be anticipated.
                    Last edited by bogweed1964; Sat Feb 26, 2011, 11:38 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bogweed1964 View Post
                      To be in honest I thought the General Forum already was pretty much non-poker but an additional trash can to throw our muses in would be good.

                      Thats a choice selection of the meanining of the word theory, I'll throw in Wikipideas as I'm too lazy to type out the Oxford English:

                      In the sciences, a scientific theory (also called an empirical theory) comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such ...

                      As for "spontaneous" life in a laboratory, I don't think for one minute that life was created in a laboratory 3.8 billion years ago and therefore cannot see the likelihood of it occurring in one now, maybe if an experiment was run for 10 billion years, the length of time it took for that life to form in the first instance, a similar if not uniquely different result could be anticipated.
                      I think I would like someone with similar flawed logic at my table. By that reasoning, such a player should 'expect' 1,000,000 royal flushes to be dealt before 1 pair...

                      Im just sayin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tazz864 View Post
                        I think I would like someone with similar flawed logic at my table. By that reasoning, such a player should 'expect' 1,000,000 royal flushes to be dealt before 1 pair...

                        Im just sayin
                        Flawed as in not agreeing with yours ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          this is totally random but tazz what are you doing in your avatar?? trying to crack your neck? maybe you should see a chiropractor about that.... does it hurt when you look both ways for traffic? or do you just not look and hope for the best outcome?umbup:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bogweed1964 View Post
                            Flawed as in not agreeing with yours ?
                            In response, of course I would say 'yes.' However, there CAN be more flaws in your logic than just the obvious one--

                            Im just saying...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ericlee1984 View Post
                              this is totally random but tazz what are you doing in your avatar?? trying to crack your neck? maybe you should see a chiropractor about that.... does it hurt when you look both ways for traffic? or do you just not look and hope for the best outcome?umbup:
                              Excellent analogy. Evolution believers can believe in all the randomness they want, but I'm pretty sure they STILL look both ways before crossing... Im just saying

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.