PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

poker skill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poker skill

how come this league is called a skill league when its not based on skill?
    3 Time Bracelet Winner

cause they had to think of some sort of name umbup:

Comment

Originally posted by ronh1967 View Post
      They tried "Survivor League", but, ran into lawsuits. So, this is what was left. Sorry. -shark

Comment

where is the lack of skill? are you saying the players consistently in the money every month or the top one hundred are not exercising skill?

Comment

if you played in these tournaments you would know where the lack off skill is!
          3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by VERDUGO77 View Post
            where is the lack of skill? are you saying the players consistently in the money every month or the top one hundred are not exercising skill?
            He's looking for players as skilled as he is...

at whatever it is he's skilled at...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

it takes skill to be at the top of the leaderboard. it doesnt mean u have to win tourneys, just means u have to be consistently outlasting the majority of the field

Comment

Keyword: consistent

Comment

That's funny!

You have been a member since June 2010 and have only played 13 games total and have only 1 ITM of those 13. It's pretty obvious that you lack the skill to be competitive in this SKILL League. Maybe you should try harder.

The funny part you ask? Is that this league pays out all that money each month to players with no skill....which is your assumption.

Comment

There is skill involved - you have to figure out how to beat the game. In a nutshell, all the different types of tourneys test your ability to adapt to the speed of the game, the level of the blinds, your stack vs. your opponents (either "skill" players or donks). Until you learn this lesson, it's difficult to be a successful poker player.

So yes, this is a "skill" league, you just haven't developed the right skills to beat this particular format.

Good luck!!
                    Bracelet Winner

Comment

You need to find your place within the league. Either you're going to learn the skills to become a consistent player within the league, which means playing up against skilled players, donks, shove monkeys and the like. OR you are going to make excuses that it isn't a skill league because you can't adapt to the style of play involved.

The most important skill to learn in this league though is PATIENCE. Without that you're not going to get to far.

This is just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.

Rosie

Comment

it's sad to see one relying on luck to make things to be turned around in their favor.

i've been there but im learning to live through with it.

my MTT ITM % is over 11% and recently its 16% so i think im getting used to it.

Comment

if you played in these tournaments you would know where the lack off skill is!
                          I do play these tourney's and sometimes I see the lack of skil and and try to take advantage and some times I see excellent skill and avoid the trap and sometimes Im clueless and either get out the way or i make the wrong move...being in the top 100 Id say im exercising a bit more skill this month...but judging by your numbers Id say youre the one with the lack of skill at reading other players which if this is the case Id say tighten your game up and take it a bit more serious...read the players at your tables and shoot for that 1500 at the end of the month and as always...see you at the tables and good luck sir. umbup:

Comment

I think you guys need to give the OP some kind of break here. There isn't alot of skill in these tourneys. There are basically a few hundred people who have enough common sense to have figured out the point system and the best ways to get those points. Not alot of difference in play style in nearly all the top 200 players in this league, including myself.
                            The difference, or "skill", is in the variance factor. How often are your monsters holding up. For myself, I have placed in the money in 13 out of 56 tourneys for a percentage of about 23%. Better than some and worse than others. Now, Dreams, the person currently in first place has placed in 22 out of 49 tourneys for an amazing 45%!! Is there a big difference in the play style between Dreams and the rest of the top 100. Maybe, I haven't been shadowing Dreams but good odds say they play the same style as Cote, Byron, Yiannis, Starlanna, Razzys, Datzang, myself, and just about anybody else in the top 1% of the league I have had a chance to watch play this month. The difference is the variance factor. That is what decides where people end up. At least the ones that know the system. This month I have been on a rollercaoster. Variance has been nasty to me the last week or so. Variance has to be going fantastic for Dreams. We all face the same shove monkeys and ATC players. Their play styles are as consistant as the play of the top 1%. The question is whether variance is going to bite you or kiss you. Best of luck to all the last couple days. Should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by wherethesoda View Post
                              it takes skill to be at the top of the leaderboard. it doesnt mean u have to win tourneys, just means u have to be consistently outlasting the majority of the field

It takes a BUTT OF STEEL immune to hemorrhoids, and robotic eyes to stay on top of the leaderboard!
                              Last edited by femson2000; Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:05 PM. Reason: Corrected BUTT OF STEAL to STEEL

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.