PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question from a fairly decent player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question from a fairly decent player

I have a question, maybe someone has experianced it like I have. I have this tendency sometimes when I start doing well in a tourney to get antsy and I get a rushed feeling, like I am on a timer, even when the time bank hasnt started. Is there a name for this, and is there a way to control it? Any advice would be helpful.

I suggest large quantities of alcohol..... But seriously, it's adrenaline, you just need a minor distraction. Sit out for a hand or two, go get a glass of water and you'll be good to go. Deep breaths will slow your heart rate.

Comment

I second the suggestion to get something as a distraction... I'm usually listening to my ipod/itunes and have a web browser open checking the forums and other sites so I don't fee like I have to play every hand.

In fact last tournament I found myself short stacked about half-way to the break... Made it to the break with less than 500 in chips. After the break cards warmed up and I started playing more hands aggressively when I had something and quickly doubled up a couple times. Made it to the next break and I was no longer the short stack. Unfortunately after that I got caught on a couple of hands with overcards and went out but not before over 70% of the field had already thinned out.

Comment

play smooth jazz when you are above chip average and eminem when you are shortstacked...

Comment

Originally posted by anjin66 View Post
          I have a question, maybe someone has experianced it like I have. I have this tendency sometimes when I start doing well in a tourney to get antsy and I get a rushed feeling, like I am on a timer, even when the time bank hasnt started. Is there a name for this, and is there a way to control it? Any advice would be helpful.
          Originally posted by jimnkat View Post
          I suggest large quantities of alcohol..... But seriously, it's adrenaline, you just need a minor distraction. Sit out for a hand or two, go get a glass of water and you'll be good to go. Deep breaths will slow your heart rate.
          Originally posted by lilmwb View Post
          play smooth jazz when you are above chip average and eminem when you are shortstacked...
          Welcome to the forum y'all!
          I think it's called ADHD.
          Seriously, take notes on players as a way to pass some time. Follow other's advice here too. Well, most of it.
          Stay focused grasshopper. For when you can snatch the chip from my hand, then you are ready.
          Maybe you are someone should think about playing 2 games at once to get over the need to click.
          Best o' luck!

Comment

It's one of the reasons I prefer to play more than 1 game so that I don't have to keep staring at my cards and dictate the action based on how hot or cold I'm running. Having a small distraction or something to relax you like music is a decent idea too but be careful not be to too distracted where you stop paying attention.

Comment

thank you all for making me feel welcome, and I have started taking your advice, and already have won 3 of the shootout tourneys using it.

Comment

Working...
              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.