PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bet Sizing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bet Sizing

I've been downsizing my open raises in sit & go's lately. Instead of 3x+ bets, I'm barely breaking 2 times the big blind, unless I feel like punishing some limpers, or jamming the pot when I'm short. I find that it's been having the same effect, and it might even be getting my opens more respect than normal. The best part is that it leaves me so much room to do some real poker playing. I can raise/fold so much more with smaller bets, because I have room to recover, and it seems to increase my reward when people decide to get clever and come over the top, because if I open raise or 3bet them light, I can set them up to take a real fall when I have a hand. I can also 4bet without going all-in, so I imagine that I can occasionally 4bet/fold if the stacks are deep enough.

Does anyone else have a betting pattern they like to stick to? Just curious if anyone wants to share ideas about how they size bets, so I might learn something new.

Last edited by Dirtyrubberz; Mon Feb 14, 2011, 03:50 AM.

Comment

I like the donk lookalike strategy. I read in one of JDean's posts a few other reasons for that bet sizing. It really illustrates how subtle poker can be, and how deep you need to think about it to be able to play in a way that's ahead of the game.

Hey, Dirty, I just checked your profile. I never knew you lived so close. You're something like 18 blocks from where I live.

Comment

i have a lil button that i set to 2.5 and one set to 3... i never use the 3

Comment

Small Ball

I have been looking at a few of Daniel N (Kidpoker) videos and hes talking a lot about small ball strategy and how raising preflop and post flop ends up making you looking like your wreckless and a maniac while keeping ur opponents on edge and unable to read you but im not sure it works all that well online as ive run across a lot of 10X BB betters in the PSO league games. I will go 3X BB on decent hands and say 5 or 6 X BB on monsters
          See ya on the tables cheers
          Hamster

Comment

Originally posted by CDNHamster View Post
            . I will go 3X BB on decent hands and say 5 or 6 X BB on monsters
            See ya on the tables cheers
            Hamster
            i like to raise the same amount

technically, you should only be playing hands that you're willing to raise pre with anyways

not in EVERY situation, but i would say mostly

Comment

I see so many people at the tables get dealt their hand, open for 10x the big blind or something like that, then everyone folds, and they show a monster. Then I think to myself, 'You didn't need to show, 'cause we all knew what you had (or at least I did).'

I think if you raise 5x with big hands, it's exploitable. It means two things to your opponents: When you raise 5x, you have a big hand. When you raise 3x, you don't have a big hand. I generally raise the same amount for all my hands, but change the bet sizing situationally, on occasion. Most of the time, though, if I raise 2.5x with AA, and get 4 callers, then I just try and play it well post flop. I try not to make my raise sizing exploitable. If you raise bigger for bigger hands, that's exploitable.

Comment

AA at 2.5 BB

Only problem with that Panicky is some clown with 5 10 offsuite will call you or someone will hit 2 pair and bust you. 5x BB atleast makes them think a bit and you will still get some calling 5x BB with crap - we have all seen it.
                cheers Hamster

Comment

Unless you are 3 betting or shoving, there are almost no circumstances under which it is +EV to bet more than 3xBB.

Fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkman61 View Post
                    Unless you are 3 betting or shoving, there are almost no circumstances under which it is +EV to bet more than 3xBB.

Fact.
                    This is so true that it deserves a...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

This is an area where I still am unsure what to do

But I generally 3-4 x BB preflop, trying to get away from 2 x BB min raise because people will call with anything, 3xBB is donkey poker well I am a donkey I guess. I do 4BB a lot just because people will call with anything. I generally prefer to not get any action unless I have KK AA.

Post flop I generally bet 30% of pot for value or to see if they are going to call or not

or 70% of Pot if I think they will call and I have a hand.

or about 120% of pot if I have a hand and do not want them to draw out on me

All in tends to be a bluff with outs, I am working on changing this program though.

Flat call is for when I want to see the flop or the next card, and not get reraised.

I like to keep some chips in reserve rather than open shoving all in so I can try to bet someone off a pot on a later street, rather than letting the cards decide the outcome.

I heard that 4BB is a typical raise for AK and also one should raise the same amount with whatever so you cant be put on a particular hand or hand strength. Also I heard that you should change things up a bit, so preflop I tend to do a 3-4 BB raise if I am first to bet in a pot. I almost never limp preflop unless I have a pure drawing hand like JTs and I am in late position.

This 3BB+ raise is bad, is new to me and would like to hear more.

Early in a tournament with 1500 chips and 10 - 20 , 25 - 50 blinds I may bet 200 just so some dumass doesn't call with crap like 7 Ts like what happened earlier today in 1/4 mill sat, me with AK lucky me hit K on river and I cashed $11. Without the river I would have been done.

#BB bets just do not seem to count for much early in a tournament, so I tent to bet 100 - 200 until the blinds catch up.
                      Last edited by Poncho Bowie; Mon Feb 07, 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

IMO, making your bets bigger isn't the correct way to deal with people who like to enter a pot with any two. When you bet preflop, unless you're attempting to steal, you should want (yes, you should) to get people to call. And the best kind of calls are the ones by people who call with anything. It may make them harder to put on a hand, but since their range is bigger, they're less likely to have anything and should be easy to get value from. If you don't want people to call you preflop, then why are you betting 2BB or 3BB or 5BB or 10BB? Why not just jam the pot every time? I think stealing blinds is supposed to be a backup plan when you raise preflop, again, unless a steal is what you're trying to do. If you're not comfortable with your hand postflop because some donkey called you with , then you probably shouldn't have been raising with that hand to start. Just play the hands you think you should play, read the board well and try to recognize when your opponents hit big with their ATC hands (which will not be often), and you should be on your way to success. Am I babbling on about nothing, or is this belief of mine actually logically cogent? Let me know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkman61 View Post

Fact.
                          I will assume that you are referring to an opening bet of >3BB. If you have limpers ahead then betting more becomes standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyrubberz View Post
                            2.1 - 2.3 is my range for bets.
                            But when I am playing a higher limit I do the 3xbb to make it look like I am a donk and it gets me more action.Once they stop biting,I change to the standard 2.3xbb
                            Ive noticed more and more players lowering the bet size from 3xbb to a lower increment.
                            You get a lot of copy cat type players that do it,not knowing why they do it.
                            hi dirty trying to understand this 3xbb makes you look like a donk?i thought 3xbb-4xbb was a normal bet.if your in early pos and do 2.1-2.3 with As Ks Qs your asking the table to stay in witch in turn gives more chances to bust your top pr.and if your in late pos with 3-4-5 players all ready in.same thing.

Comment

i just shove everything

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.