PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A test of poker skill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A test of poker skill

How many think that any form of a turbo or accelerated blind schedule tournament can be a true test of basic poker skill?
    yes
    64.81%
    no
    35.19%

bingo skills... yes

poker, not a chance.
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I think they reduce the chances of the best players winning, although they will still come out on top in the long term.

It's just another style to be learnt, but I hate them.

Comment

Last edited by fadmin; Fri Feb 18, 2011, 07:02 AM.

Comment

I said YES

Look at PSO, it teaches you to be VERY patient, but it's not the only thing you should learn.
          Playing turbo's with PSO skills will kill you. So you have to learn to play a bigger variety of cards, study your opponents, play position and be more aggressive without playing BINGO

So, YES it does help in the learning process
          I wouldn't play Hyper Turbo's though.

Comment

Much respect Sand but most of these players need to learn and practice patience. They just learn now that they need to shove ATC's. To become a good player one needs hands, hands, and more hands to learn from. They will NOT get this from the way the league is now. Any good poker player can and will adjust. However, we aren't going to bring along as many as we could have will deep stack and deep fields. One should not go into a turbo structure until they fully understand the game and the numbers themselves.

JT

Comment

Don't get me wrong. Turbos and aggressive blind structures have their place and their own set of strategies. My question relates to the players that are trying to learn poker skills here on PSO and in the PSO skill league.

Comment

I am not sure whether to agree or disagree with this statement.

Let me clarify.

I think that the biggest drawback to a tourney with Big Blind intervals i.e. 20 mins or 30 mins or even more, is the length of time they take to play out.

Unless there is a possibility of winning a great deal of money at the end, there are not many players who would be willing to participate in a tourney that could take eight or nine hours, where the reward for winning is a few $ or less.

I think that shortening the Blind schedule but increasing the start stack, would tend to be a test of poker skills.

I am going to conduct a small experiment in the Home Games on Feb 6th, where the Blinds are three minutes but the starting stack is 5,000 chips. I would have liked to have had 10,000 chips start stack size, but PS only offer 5,000 max.

I am interested to see how this pans out, as unless someone decides to be a jackass and play Bingo, I think this format could be a lot of fun, as the tourney could be over in less than an hour and a half, but people won't feel that they need to shove just to stay even.

So I think my answer to the original question is... It depends.

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

voted yes

I voted Yes and please let me explain MY way of thinking.....

I believe this format pushes you into a quick responce to bet or fold and the outcome is usually positive.

Comment

sandtrap is spot-on, get ur heads outta ur asses

Comment

I think that your small depth of field will not make for a good experiment. three minute blinds and 50 runners does sound fun though. Enjoy your game!

x

Comment

i have to say yes. because i read somewhere that to be a top player one should learn all the games and play in all formats.

Comment

Originally posted by JT_Sooooted View Post
                          Much respect Sand but most of these players need to learn and practice patience. They just learn now that they need to shove ATC's. To become a good player one needs hands, hands, and more hands to learn from. They will NOT get this from the way the league is now. Any good poker player can and will adjust. However, we aren't going to bring along as many as we could have will deep stack and deep fields. One should not go into a turbo structure until they fully understand the game and the numbers themselves.

JT
                          That's what I was saying. Here at PSO, you learn about patience, you're suppose to learn not to play every single hand....LOL. What I was saying, is that once you've achieve the patience part, you need to move up. When learning about position, which hands to play and at what time, vs which opponent, than you're ready for turbo.

So my answer was YES, it is a true test
                          And yes it's not for about 90% of PSO players

Comment

Even with just this few responses it's easy to see that this was too broad of a question. everyone has made good points.

So, I can see that turbos/accelerated blind tourneys can be used to excel beyond basic skill level. But, and this is what I originally meant by the quesion, should it be used to teach basic skills.

Comment

Originally posted by aquadad View Post
                              Even with just this few responses it's easy to see that this was too broad of a question. everyone has made good points.

So, I can see that turbos/accelerated blind tourneys can be used to excel beyond basic skill level. But, and this is what I originally meant by the quesion, should it be used to teach basic skills.
                              No, one would venture out into the turbo world once they feel comfortable with their game that was learned at the PSO.

JT

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.