PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faking disconnects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faking disconnects?

I have to wonder, despite the problems with the new update, how many apparent disconnects and time-outs are a new brand of angle-playing.

For example, the other day I was playing, and one player apparently timed out. "[Player], are you there?" No reponse. So we onserve the usual ritual of hitting time, checking around, typing "[Player]?" "How long has [Player] been gone?' etc.

this goes on for several hands, until the player in question comes charging out with a big bet. hmmm.

Ok, so maybe is first hand back in the game happens to be a monster. It happens. But having seen this happen happen several times recently, I can only wonder. Sometimes it has happened until the player in question responds to a bet on the river with an instantaneous re-raise, and showing a flush or straight on the showdown.

What better way to slow the betting down when you're on a draw, than to exploit the better (?) intincts of other players by timing out to simulate a disconnect?

I really don't know, but I know that whenever there is a predictable pattern of behavior, there are people willing to exploit it, and even though I would have to say it seems pretty sleazy in this case, isn't that what poker is all about?

Spenser,

In the days of pokerpages beta testing, there was a well know rgp player and mathematician that timed out every hand - except the ones they played. While they constantly claimed they lost connection, timed out, etc., it never happened during a hand in play. In the course of playing many many tournaments with this player, I realized that this was part of their strategy. To slow down play (while other tables played and other players busted) to improve their position. Also, this person would catch unsuspecting players on a blind steal (assuming them to be timed out) with a monster. While the downside of this play is that you see less hands at lower blinds, this person was a well known statistician and I have to believe had done some analysis to believe that the "timing out" strategy had its advantages. While I have seen some level of this strategy on pokerpages/PSO, especially coming down to the money, I never saw it practiced with such discipline as with my beta testing friend. I also see some passive agressive time outs...not wanting to be seen folding after an opponent's bet and the ever popular steam time out (after a previously lost hand).

This stalling tactic is used regularly in live play - but usually only when approaching the money...which is why many tournaments go to a hand-for-hand rule. Maybe this is more prevalent online because there is little repurcussion if done - no dealer warning you about time- no players glaring at you - no floor person to call about complaints...and of course the handy excuse that it was technology, and not operator, related.

oil doe

Comment

This is a bad problem in the tournaments at UB. When they get down to 2 tables, one or two players will inevitably start delaying the maximum amount of time every hand (about 2 minutes). Then, players at the other table notice the delaying and that whole table starts delaying, then those at the first table who weren't start and the whole tournament grinds to a virtual halt. Then, players that hate this (like me) have to start partnering with a player at the other table in an agreement not to delay, and try to get it moving along again. It can get real ridiculous and I wish it could be monitored/controlled in the online cardrooms.

--Greagar

Comment

1 well known site does go hand for hand.

Comment

Working...
        X