PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing My Mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing My Mind...

Today, I took a long series of bad beats, many of them from the same player. I became ineffective and could no longer play properly. Does anyone know of method of preventing this besides having someone hold a gun to your head (that would make poker unpleasant)? I become ineffective on a bad day and, for some reason, start creating reasons for raising or calling that are totally false or do not exist. I wonder how some of you handle this problem that I know frequents poker players. I have walked away today, finally realizing that I can't play like this.

I honestly don't think this is anything anyone can help you with. Its something you just have to work out for yourself. Me, personally, I just try to remind myself that a bad beat is just luck on the other persons part. And in the long run, I will win those hands. I am fond of repeating the phrase, "Every dog has its day", to myself.

Comment

Realising that it is just a game and beats are a part of it, helps.

Comment

Well I was playing in a home game with Gary Carson. If you haven't read his book I highly recommend it. And he gave me some valuable advice.

I had AQ in the bb. One raise, one other caller. I called (probably shoulda raised again). Flop AQ7 rainbow. I bet, raiser folds, last player calls. J on the flop. I bet, other player calls. Yup, K on the river and I am beat by a T8. I asked Gary what I could have done to prevent it. He said, "The only thing I've found effective is to shoot the other player before they can scoop the pot."

I have often thought of that advice as I play - hope it helps you too.

oil doe

Comment

Change games...

Diej,

You fail to say if its a ring game or a tourney...If its a ring game, then simply leave the table for another or just call it a day. If its one person that seems to be beating you with lousy cards, then take solace in the fact that this person will eventually lose in the long run. Unfortunately, many of us become impatient and we begin to follow the bad habits of inexperienced players who have beat up on us, and begin to play those same bad cards in hopes that we too can rake in a large pot with J3, suited of course :lol: , and inflict the same pain to our opponents that they have on us. This is not the way to go about it. Yes it is very demoralizing when you finally wake up with a monster hand and then get beat by some guy who should have never been in the pot in the first place, by rivering your set or top two pair, by making that miracle gut shot, but its these players that make poker a profitable game to people like us. Dat's Poker...so if it becomes too much to handle, then its to time to leave the game for a breather.

If it is a tourney you are referring too, then my advice is to stay away from that player who seems to have your number, UNLESS, you have the nuts and then bet right into him/her. I don't know why, but it seems that when I have lost a few hands to a particular player in a tourney, more often than not that same player has a tendency to bust me out. Perhaps its the confidence that the player exudes due to the short term success he/she has had against me, or some cruel mind games that the "poker gods" like to play, but my experience tells me to avoid this player at all costs unless you have the best of it at the moment, or simply wait until the the cards turn in your favor, and things begin to go your way. Remember, in the end we all get the same cards, and its our adaption to certain situational play that seperate the good players from the truly great ones. Anyway that's my two cents...hope you can draw something of value from it.

All the best,

-Sac

Comment

Sac,
            Excellent advise ! As solid as it gets...hard to remember in the heat of battle, but certainly the way it is!

'Goddess

Comment

Any Game is "the short run"

... and in the short run, all sorts of non-probabilistic events can occur.

Ever played at a table where flushes ALWAYS make - or flushes NEVER make?
              - where A A beats anything - or NEVER wins?

Yesterday, in one tournament my small pairs pre-flop flopped a set 7 times out of 8 running! [ normally a 7:1 occurance].
              - after they hit twice I started to push 'em.

Similarly, on any particular day you CAN'T beat Sam or Suzy. It happens! Shouldn't. No explanation for it!

All you can do as a player is to look for trends, hope to recognize them when they occur, and either take advantage of or avoid those specific situations.

Don't believe this sort of thing can happen - or can be recognized if it does? That's cool too. But then I have no advice for you!!!

Comment

Two thoughts:

One: Serenity now...serenity now...repeat

Two: Always keep in mind that it is the better players who most frequently get drawn out on. You can't be drawn out on or given a bad beat if you aren't getting your money in with the best of it. Now this is not always the case, such as late in a tourney when you are short stacked and you are forced to make a move and get called by a bigger stack and suck out on him. But in most any ring game, and at any time when the money is deep in a tourney, that is the typical situation...bad players drawing out on good players.

It is very hard to keep this in mind when you are busted by a draw out. But you have to pick yourself up off the floor, smash the monitor, go get a new one, and get on the list for the next tourney.

If you are getting drawn out on a lot at some point, just keep thinking about how good a player that proves you are :wink:

Comment

Thank you for your responses.

It was in a ring game to clarify. It was a game on Paradise. I seem to find ways to embarass myself if I'm having a bad day. I guess the only good thing is that I might earn more calls on good days when players that have previously seen my erroneous plays make calls by not knowing what I have. I find ways to make bad days and make them worse. For instance, I speculate that my poor play cost me an additional 20 big bets.

Comment

One additional thought (that has been mentioned in other threads) - pick up the book "Zen and the Art of Poker" by Larry Phillips. The book goes into some detail about detaching yourself emotionally from the game. Although it has not completely eliminated my anger or frustration at opponents bad play that costs me money :evil: , it has helped me a great deal to dampen those feelings and make them less impactful on my game. For $13, it may be a good investment for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by diej2002
                      It was a game on Paradise...I guess the only good thing is that I might earn more calls on good days when players that have previously seen my erroneous plays make calls by not knowing what I have.
                      Unless you are playing at the higher limits, I wouldn't count on anyone remembering anything about your play, unless you were totally off the wall crazy!!

Comment

You're almost certainly correct about that, Wiscer. The lower limit players that I play with are generally fairly poor players. I find myself giving them too much credit a lot. Anyway, I'm trying to get myself emotionally detached from the game a bit. I really won't know if I'm improving in this area until I hit another really bad streak.

I once saw one of the most unbelivable runs on Paradise. Somebody was just a terrible player who did stuff like draw to gutshots heads-up with 2 big bets in the pot and went runner-runner flush and stuff like that. I was playing with a this guy and a relatvely good player who happened to be playing with me a second table. I flipped to that other table and asked him if he'd ever seen anything like what was going on with the terrible player on the other table. He said, "I've never seen it and I've been around a while." Anyway, the bad player was making everything and I mean everything. Drawing out to 2 pair, flopping K77 when he held 72, hitting 2 and 4 outers, going runner runner and the like. I finally looked at my stats box and found out that I had played 254 hands without winning a single pot. This guy was winning AT LEAST 30% of the total hands and I'm trying to not exaggerate. (This was a 10 player table) I stayed for another 500 hands, long enough to watch him give it ALL back. Unfortunately, I got none of it and still had a horrible day. Just wanted to share that story for some reason.

Comment

It's not that unusual to see an "any 2 will do" player have the very large swings in low limit games. If they are smart enough to hit and run..they can make a great score in a game...but normally, they play it all back, and maybe win most of it again, before eventually leaving busted. If you play the most hands, you probably win the most pots, and lose the most money. It's rare to see these people ever book a winner, but a few eventually start learning enough about things like the importance of kickers and postion, and maybe even pre-flop hand selection, that they can play longer (which is their social goal) or they can book a small enough loss to justify playing again tomorrow, or next week or whenever. Of course, there is also that small percentage who are pretty consistent winners.

8O

'Goddess

Comment

Working...
                          X