PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do???

I will be going to Las Vegas this for a week to try some live tournaments and want some input on how to handle rebuys. There are several tournaments that I have scheduled that have unlimited rebuys for the first hour. How do I determine when to take advantage of this? Also some of the tournaments listed show some terminology that I am not familiar with and would like to know what they mean. I think that a freeze out is 1 winner, bounties are a reward of some kind when you put a player out of the tournament, and really do not know what they mean by a shootout. Any info on some of the better tournaments would be appreciated.

chino

OK Here is my two cents worth.

The Orleans will have two tournies per day. If you go to their website, you can find the time limits, starting chips, and rebuy chips.
    Overall, Their tournies are great experience. The $20 buy-in with $10 rebuys will be wild and wooly until the rebuy period is over. Some people will ram and jam and show down the strangest cards, BUT if one wins the big pot, some will shut down and wait till the rebuy is over. Everyone will have a chance to add-on ($10 for more chips) at the end of the rebuy period. I allways do. The less expensive tournies have less chips and less time. The more expensive ones have more chips and more time. Orleans pays bounties ($5.00 if you knock someone out)

Mirage has good tournies. More chips and more time. Mirage also will have satellites starting in afternoon too. Sats are good experience and I like the Mirage tournies. Some of the players are very, very good and some are just there to drink beer and blow off some chips.

Hope this helps.

Shane aka Jeff

Comment

I just got back from vegas where I played in my first real life tournament (check my post in the Trip report section). I played in the Luxor daily noon tournament, and, I would recommend it as a good starting point. Its a cheap entry fee freezeout tourney (freeze out meaning once you are out of chips you are gone, no re-buys), but it is not one I would play in again. It was nice to get the feeling of a tournament. But with a low starting chip count and blinds that go up fast, its not a good long term thing. Too much luck and too littel skill involved.

Talking to some of the other players in the tourney, the $60 nightly tournament at the Mirage was brought up a few times as a good tournament. One because its a fairly cheap one, and two, because there are better caliber players there, who will respect riases and calls and all that and not just call you down to the river on a bluff that gets lucky.

There was also mention of the Orleans tournaments. I would recommend hanging around for the games that start up after the tournaments end. I did for mine, and caught a few players that were on tilt after busting out, and I was able to make alot of money off of them.

Good luck on your trip.

Comment

Chino,

The Sahara also offers a good NLHE tourney. They give out a lot of chips and thus you get a big bang for your buck there. I have found that the mix of bad players to good players there is fairly high.

The Mirage seems to have the most good players per tourney. The satellite there are worth it, IMO.

The Orleans offers the best mix though. The problem there is the field is pretty big, thus making it harder to get into the money. For the $20 buyin $10 rebuy tourney, fasten your seatbelt. It is WILD.

Randy

Comment

Thanks guys for the replys. I have a listing of all of the tournaments and hope to make all of the ones that you have talked about. Saturday is my first available day for tournaments and I wont be able to play until the evening (golf is much more important) so it looks like my first tournament will be the 7:00 NLHE $32 + 5 and a $20 rebuy @ Sam's Town. Sunday I have the same schedule so looks like I will give the Sahara 7 pm a chance there. Monday - Wednesday is when I can play all day with literally no schedule. That should be fun and hopefully I will have a better idea of what is going on. I have played in some live tournaments before and even won one but nothing like Vegas. The omaha tournaments are what I am really looking forward to on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and those I know I can hold my own so lookout Vegas. Guess I better take my digital camera so you guys can see a pic of me with all the money in front of me. Thanks again for the responses.

chino

Comment

Originally posted by rggator
            Chino,
            The Mirage seems to have the most good players per tourney. The satellite there are worth it, IMO.
            Agree, and they have the highest buyin and a good amount of play. My favorite tourney's in Vegas.

The Orleans offers the best mix though. The problem there is the field is pretty big, thus making it harder to get into the money. For the $20 buyin $10 rebuy tourney, fasten your seatbelt. It is WILD.
            I didn't find the Orleans tourneys I played last weekend crazy at all. A little looser than normal, but the Saturday and Sunday noon tourney has only 1 rebuy ($33 buyin gives 375 chips, 20 rebuy gives 600 more). Good tourneys, big fields (I finished ~25 out of 80 both days) but you have to factor in the cost of a cab ride to the Orleans from the strip (~$10 each way).

Comment

Originally posted by ursasmar
              I played in the Luxor daily noon tournament, and, I would recommend it as a good starting point. Its a cheap entry fee freezeout tourney (freeze out meaning once you are out of chips you are gone, no re-buys), but it is not one I would play in again. It was nice to get the feeling of a tournament. But with a low starting chip count and blinds that go up fast, its not a good long term thing. Too much luck and too littel skill involved.
              I agree with the second half of your recommendation here, which is the Luxor tourney is pretty lame!

Comment

Originally posted by chino
                it looks like my first tournament will be the 7:00 NLHE $32 + 5 and a $20 rebuy @ Sam's Town.
                Let me know what you think of Sam's Town and what the ring games are like of you get a chance to check it out...what limits they have, etc. I haven't gotten to their poker room before. Curious what it's like.

Comment

Originally posted by rggator
                  Boy, I gotta disagree on the sats, Randy. Shallow money and the blinds DOUBLE every 7 minutes. I thought they were a total crapshoot. Better to play keno to get the buyin!

Comment

GOOD LUCK CHINO I KNOW YOU WILL DO WELL!!!
                    CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR YOUR TRIP REPORT!

SANEIGY :arrow: "DO YOU EVER WONDER?"

Comment

Chino, I like the Sam's tourney, but it is way way off the strip.

Wiscer: The Sat.s at Mirage do have shallow money, but the rake is small and there is some skill involved.

Randy

Comment

First of all let me say that I still am confused on a plan of attack on rebuys. Nobody seemed to give me any input. Also what are shootouts?

Wiscer..
                        I'll give the Mirage tournies a try for sure. Probably start with a limit event over there. Tell me what you mean by shallow money in the sats. I dont really mind the blinds doubling so fast and just like most sats...they will be a crapshoot.

Saneigy
                        I will provide everyone with a full trip report! Thanks.

rggator
                        Where these tournament are located wont be a problem cuz I gots me rental hooptie! Gimme the low down on some sat strategy and tell me what shallow money is.

Luxor is and always will be a NO GO FOR CHINO!!! Tournaments or otherwise.

VIVA
                        VIVA
                        LAS VEGAS!!!

Comment

A "shootout" tournament is when you play at your table until one person beats everyone at that table. The winners of each table then meet at the final table. So, this is like a two-round satellite tournament, where short-handed play occurs at your original table, not just at the final table. The tournament in the movie "Maverick" was a "shootout" one - just don't count on getting a lucky A:s: one-outter to save you

I agree that the Mirage ones are the best(time/chips/skill). I like the NLHE one-rebuy one the best.
                          I also liked the Sahara ones that are cheap yet you start with a lot of chips(these will have smaller fields and they smoke there).
                          I played the Sam's Town tournament in July. It's pretty good: T1500 + one T1500 re-buy, small field. I came in 3rd(should have won it but...), so I liked it a lot. I was able to play tight and trap effectively during the re-buy period to build a confortable stack. After the re-buy period, tight-aggressive play worked well with no wild calls of my raises allowing me to push players off hands(What busts me out of more tournaments when I'm doing well is when someone who has no business calling my raise calls with inferior cards but gets lucky on the turn or river).

Scott "DocH"

Comment

Rebuy Advice

Whenever I hit Las Vegas, chino, I prefer the Orleans noon tournaments. Was over there most recently last November for 3 days while my wife was at a Travel Agent convention. I finished 3rd, 8th and 11th [on the bubble - one stupid play] playing as follows:

- during the rebuy period play VERY VERY tight - and let the maniacs crash & burn. Plan on 1 or 2 rebuys in case you get burned - which will likely happen - but don't "loosen up" & get in there and wrestle in the mud with the pigs. Two reasons:
                            - you get dirty as hell;
                            - and the pigs love it!

Some will accumulate big stacks - but they usually forget to shut down after the add-on - and normally just as quickly dump chips big time!
                            - "after all," they think, "7 4 os won a big pot during the rebuy scramble, why shouldn't it win as easily afterwards?"

Post add-on - play your standard [I'm assuming] tight, aggressive game.

Good luck - and let us know how you do!

Comment

Working...
                            X