PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you raise in PLO8?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When do you raise in PLO8?

    My hand UTG: A246ds.

    Blinds $100/$200.

    I raise $200. Player whose game I respect types in: (You raise with that) In PLO?


    Opinions, please.


    Randy

  • #2
    Raise every hand...garbage hands are likely to scoop 80% of the time here at PSO, the other 20% of the time, you'll get 3/4s with an 86low...

    Comment


    • #3
      not sure i raise A236 ds in PLO8

      but have raised AA26ds in plo8

      only to get rearaise which i reraised by Q755 rainbow

      only for them to get quads and me to go out first hand

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, I can't disagree Dan, as I just went out to a 2489, 89 was suited tho.


        Randy

        Comment


        • #5
          would i ever lie to you, randy? if somebody goes all in UTG, call with QJo, that is a very, very goot hand here at PSO...if somebody raises in omaha, call if your hand doesnt contain an ace or any suited cards...if you got two pairs like TT44 or 9955, by god, what are you even contemplating???

          Comment


          • #6
            rggator

            If you can't raise with A246ds $200 to build a pot that you have extremely high potential of taking at least half of the pot there isn't any hand you should raise with.

            The only problem I see is your raise comes UTG. This is a hand you want a lot of callers with. You potentially drive out a table full of limpers raising the $200. If you had been in late position with several callers I don't know how anyone could argue with your raise.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: When do you raise in PLO8?

              Originally posted by rggator
              My hand UTG: A246ds.

              Blinds $100/$200.

              I raise $200. Player whose game I respect types in: (You raise with that) In PLO?

              Randy
              Assuming this isn't a critical point in the game and your stack is healthy, then it depends on position.

              In early position, your hand wants volume so limping looks right.
              With a limper or 2 your raise looks dead right (don't pot it and get it headsup, it's not that good a hand).
              Build the pot somewhat (as you did) so that if you get a good flop you have the chance to bet heavily. Bear in mind that many flops with 2 low cards give you a huge draw (that 6 is a great card if a 3-5 or 5-7 comes eh?).

              But position is massively important in PLO8. The perfect place for your hand would be on the button after a couple of limpers, in which case raise a unit and roll up your sleeves IMO.

              regards

              Glenn

              Comment


              • #8
                I think Russ G has recently posted a pot limit omaha 8 strategy post detailing stuff like this, though it is related to cash games. Go take a look on RGP.

                Russ G would certainly love your hand, but I don't know how he recommends playing it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'd raise it preflop and I'd call a raise with it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'd vary my play here; up front, I'd be inclined to limp most of the
                    time, only sometimes raising. The reason I favour limping in is that right now, you're on a pure drawing hand; if one or none of your nut draw comes, you're only playing for low, and maybe only a portion of it, and the caller(s) will usually have position on you.When you raise, you'll probably have only another big draw in there with you. If this is reraised behind you, what could the reraiser(s) have, really? I'd much rather have a volume pot, not play this one heads-up. This is a decent hand, but much depends on the flop.PLO/8 plays very tight, IMO, tighter than any other form of Omaha, in my experience. See Ray Zee's brief section on this game in his outstanding book on split games, as well as Ciaffone's Omaha books.

                    Alan

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X

                    X Cookies Information

                    We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.