PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go......

Barry,

Yesterday, I endured the most rugged 10 minutes of poker I have ever had. After meeting you Saturday, you requested we take advantage of your forum.

The following is an email that I have sent out to a group of friends that I have made from here. We put up our thoughts and they get beat around and its really a nice venue. All are great players and I respect there play and theory.

Would like your thoughts on this as well.

5/10 game at Planet
    >
    > Table full and 3 calling stations.
    >
    > Take in my br of 120
    >
    > 3rd hand AJh, flop the nut flush and im up to 150
    >
    > 5th hand AKs, I raise preflop, called by 5 others.
    > flop comes 8KK. I check, MP bets, I call along w/ 3
    > others. Turn comes X, I bet, its called by 2. Flop
    > comes X, I bet, 1 caller. Caller turns up 88.
    >
    > 7th hand JJ. 4 callers, I raise, all call. Flop
    > comes J44. guy bets out, i raise, its capped. Turn
    > comes 8, guy bets out, I raise, its capped. River
    > comes....you guessed it, 4. He bets, I gotta call
    > (right?). he turns over J4.
    >
    > Thought hard about leaving after 1st winning hand. I
    > would have been a winner, $30 in 5 minutes. But
    > instead, I ride it out and leave busted. Im in a
    > daze.
    >
    > What did I do wrong? WTF?????

At the end of the day, Ive had two come back and say it was just bad luck and I am guilty of playing on line.

Another came back and said I should have left after the first $30 win because I entered the game under funded and, after the win, was STILL underfunded. (I gotta believe he was right)

Your thoughts?

Bob

Underfunded but mostly Unlucky

Hi, Zipman: First, there is nothing wrong with sitting down at a 5-10 game with $120. Yes, you may easily go broke with some badluck, but unless that is all the money you have in the world, so what? Get a job, make more and get back in action.

Second, you had an amazing adventure, that might be worth $120 in thrill-ride experience alone. (Yes, I see that you might not feel that way). You got very lucky right away (flop flush), then got slightly unlucky that someone flopped a set (that is all it is, in spite of the trappings), and finally a miracle one-outer came to wreck your wonderful hand. 46-1 is still more than 2% of the time.

So you were unlucky twice, once a little and once a LOT. but that is all there is here. Nothing to do with on-line. And, in spite of the fact that these are great players, it is ridicuous to say that you should have left up $20. Would they say that if the 4 did not come on the river? You were in a great game, clearly had that best of of it, and got unlucky. That happens, but it does not mean we should invent a time machine to figure out the point at which your luck changed and get you out of the game just then.

Just keep playing. Make quality decisions on every street, on every hand, and let the luck even out. And, yes, if your goal is to weather all of the unlucky things that might happen, either bring more money or play lower. But you did NOTHING wrong.

BarryT

Comment

Hi, Zipman: First, there is nothing wrong with sitting down at a 5-10 game with $120. Yes, you may easily go broke with some badluck, but unless that is all the money you have in the world, so what?
      That was all the money he had in the world. He left that bit out

Comment

(clinking sounds in the background)

Anyone wanna buy a pencil????

I got a juicy 5/10 holdem game going and they wont call my pencil bets!

OR

(man holding up sign at exit ramp)

Need money for Poker Game!

why lie about it?

Thanks, Barry (and noodles). Think I will save up a bit and hit that game with a bit more cash to absorb the swings next time.

Just glad to hear that all though I may be an idiot, at least I dont play like one....well at least in this instance....

Bob 8)

Comment

Originally posted by zipman
          Just glad to hear that all though I may be an idiot, at least I dont play like one....well at least in this instance....

Bob 8)
          He was just being kind Zip.

Comment

Working...
          X