PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Pros" at PSO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pros" at PSO

Just wanted to post a quick opinion on something...take it for what it is worth!

Seems very unfortunate what has happened the last few days over the MadProf post(s). I do not understand the need for name-calling and ranting when players play poorly, people post things we do not like, people do not agree with us...quite frankly ever!

I am a 39 year old self-made real estate investor. I put myself through college and law school, borrowed the first $25,000 and got luck to turn it into enough money that I no longer need to work. I am an avid reader on probabilities, philosophy, financial theory, physics (for dummies), and am desperately searching for the Grand Unifying Theory (aren't we all). I have 3 children, a loving wife, great friends and a super extended family. I count my blessings every day.

Used to play poker in high school and college, and decided to pick it up a couple of years ago as a hobby. Read "all the books," have bought all the WSOP videos, and read extensively in the game theory field. I love poker, and it is my fondest hobby.

I am a poker novice -- certainly not one of the "pros" that MadProf is referring to -- but just a regular guy who like sthe challenge of a friendly game of poker. I can only play in 7-10 live tourneys a year, and I knew I needed more "experience" but don't want to play the online games (worried about the ramifications of getting caught {no matter how remote} since I don't want to lose my professional licenses).

Poker School Online was heaven sent for me! Lots of tourneys, lots of satellites (my favorite), and a very good community (wish I could have made it to Tunica!)

Sure there are maniacs, and the play is sometimes questionable (hate to bum out you purists, but the same exists in lower limit holdem games and early rounds of live tourneys), but overall the School delivers a fine product and the practice has helped me become competitive in live tourneys.

I have also learned a lot from reading the Forum. I have no idea who is "pro" and who is "amateur." I take everything I read with a grain of salt and try to parse out the valuable info. Isn't that how all knowledge is acquired? If there are pros at the school, I wish they would contribute to the Forum more, because that would be extremely helpful to all. Apryll's posts have always been insightful and helpful and you will be sorely missed if you leave! I hope you stay -- you are so tough at the tables, and I have used some of the tricks you have taught in my own live and tourney play!

I thought that posting MadProf's school stats was unfair. My guess is that he uses the school to relax and does not give his best game here unless he accumulates some chips. My guess is that is how most "pros" would treat this site. Or, just to experiment with certain techniques and styles. Certainly his results would seem to be above reproach.

But...I have problems when "pros" or the "better players" get upset when other players "make mistakes," "stupid calls," "how can you play that starting hand" and the other things that seem to set people off. This is a school, and people are in various stages of the learning process. It is fine to "instruct" people in how to play, but this can be done in a civil manner. Ranting and flaming is not an effort to instruct, but a form of tilting and is used only to humiliate other players.

I would expect more of a "pro."

I will keep plugging along here, and enjoying the games (even though I have been stinking up the place in 2003), and reading the Forum.

Let's try to make 2003 a positive (and prosperous) experience for evrsyone at PSO. wstwst, depraved, hukilau and others have shown what can be done by players here at PSO -- let's make it a good year!

Just my opinion,

Tim

Thanks for the kind words TKO. I would hazard a guess there are no "pros" at the school other than Rolf. I believe Mad Prof has a very good career outside of poker (ie he does not make a living playing poker).

The only thing that separates the "pros" from top recreational players is the fact that they play for a living. Talent-wise I have not seen anything separating "them" from "us". Of course the Jonny Chan's of the world operate on another level, but most "pros" are no better than the typical mid-limit player.

I played a 1 table sat with recently with 9 "pros." Prize was a seat in the main event at the Taj. The 2 fish (at least according to the "pros") finished 1st and 2nd. The "pros" once again did not impress me in the least, and this was a serious 1 table sat with a large buy in and a signficant prize.

I think practice at PSO is benefitting a lot of players, including me. I won several B & M and online paysite tournaments and even made a final table at the USPC. Huk, Wst, and Depraved are some others who had success in 2002. BevK had a great tournament run and was sitting 300-600 at the 2002 USPC when last I saw him. Mad prof won 2 super sats at the WSOP. I have no doubt the experience gained here has helped all of us. The discussions in particular have been a tremendous source of solid poker information.

As for leaving, as a monthy member I am not going to pay for something I can not use. If someone figures out a way for me to download the software without crashing my system, I will be happy to hang around.

Comment

Just wanted to say:

Great post tko :!:

You seems to have a wonderfull insight to what life is about :!:

I also want to add that i admire people like you who gets somewhere
      on their own with nothing.
      You started a loan and then you seems to have reached my goal
      with life :roll:

That encourage me to go and study... :idea:

We see where the roads will lead me but thanks for a wonderfull
      post.

//Mattias

Comment

Re: "Pros" at PSO

Originally posted by tko14
        I thought that posting MadProf's school stats was unfair. My guess is that he uses the school to relax and does not give his best game here unless he accumulates some chips. My guess is that is how most "pros" would treat this site. Or, just to experiment with certain techniques and styles. Certainly his results would seem to be above reproach.
        Well, I would say that's a bad guess. Otherwise, why would he get mad at others mistakes that cost him? Heck, I use the site exactly as you say above, and my results p*ss all over him. In fact, the way I play sometimes, my rank should be about 30%. He just can't accept that people get lucky, and his ego can't take it when someone he considers inferior beats him. Hence all the pathetic challanges to prove his superiority and satisfy his ego.

Comment

Originally posted by apryllshowers
          As for leaving, as a monthy member I am not going to pay for something I can not use. If someone figures out a way for me to download the software without crashing my system, I will be happy to hang around.
          Someone in support. Get this sorted NOW!!!!

Please.

Comment

TKO14

I need to talk to you about 'the universe in a nutshell'

Comment

Originally posted by Noodles
              Someone in support. Get this sorted NOW!!!!

Please.
              It's been taken care of.

Comment

Clay

Assume you are referring to Hawking's work. Read it , and enjoyed it.

The entire concept of strings and branes seems to be coming under a great deal of attack of late, no?!?

I am just an interested observer, but curious as to what the physics "pros" are saying a bout the recent "tests" done on the effects of gravity and light.

Not as important a concept as betting drypots, but still worth investigating!

Tim

Comment

I still have a problem with the uncertainty principle, seems like the 'quantum' guys are chopping.

....and I thought the second book was supposed to be an 'easier' read.....yeah right

science is getting very serreal now, sci-fi gets more real every day!

CLAY

Comment

Agree on both points Clay.

Scientific history is chocked full of theories that explain everything "except for this one instance" -- invarably proven wrong at a later date.

The interesting parts of science, in my humble and lay opinion, is being done on the outliers -- the smallest of the small and the biggest of the big. I enjoy reading quantum for dummies (still almost indecipherable) material, and cosmology.

Great book I read over the Holidays is called Why Religion Matters, by Huston Smith. Smith is a world-renowned Religion professor (been at MIT and now at Berkely), and done a PBS show with Bill Moyers.

Smith's books deals with the role of religion with the advent of "scientific thought." Some very interesting sections on topics like evolution, birth of the universe, quantum mechanics, etc.

Book was a great summary of scientific and philosophical history over the last 300 years.

I think you would enjoy it Clay! Kept thinking of the debates here between the straight probability folks and the intuition and "people-reading" guys -- same arguments raging in the science vs. religion worlds for the last 400 years!

Tim

Comment

Working...
                    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.