PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O8 dry-pot, an "expert" view

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O8 dry-pot, an "expert" view

From an exchange a while back on rec.gambling.poker (my emphasis), with a reply from Badger, a one-time WSOP O8 bracelet winner, I believe:

> Novice question :
    > On line limit O8 tournament, down to 7.
    > I have Ah3h5dQd on the button.
    > 2 limpers and an all-in tiny raise. I call, limpers call.
    >
    > Flop is 48J rainbow . All check.
    > Turn is a 7, 4th suit. Checked to me.
    >
    > Well, it appears only the all-in can have A2, so it seems to me I should get some return on my low and I bet.
    > Someone mutters "dry pot".
    >
    > Does this have any meaning in O8?
    > In this hand only a river 6 gives me any chance to scoop and even then my
    > low might well be beaten by the all-in.
    > Why not bet out and try to earn something for my low?

Dry pot has meaning in any game. Needlessly protecting an all-in player, especially at the late stages of a tournament, when you almost certainly can't win (this is far more common in Holdem than Omaha) is not a good thing to do. But...

In your example you have AQ, which will certainly win high against the all-in player *sometimes*. He could have A239, A39Q. Beyond that, you are protecting your hand. It might come an ace to kill your low, allowing a 23 to win, but you lose to aces up by the all-in player.

You definitely must bet here. Protect your hand, bet for value. (You also should have reraised before the flop if the tiny raise was a technical "raise" of half the bet or more.)
    --
    Steve Badger

And basically, what he is saying is that it's all about tourney ev. Pure and simple. Act in your own self interest. Either maximise your chances of winning the pot/chips or of eliminating a player. Whatever is best for your tourney ev. The only no-no about dry pot betting is that you do not bluff with zero chance of beating the all-in, but that is also supported in terms of your own tourney ev. Besides, mistakes, or beats, aren't the end of the world. Why get worked up anyway.

Comment

AND THATS THAT :roll:

I THOUGHT EV WAS A GIRL :?

:h:
      Sz

Comment

Working...
      X