PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Satellites payout structure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellites payout structure

I was supposed to inform everyone that the payout structure has been changed for the single table satellites. They now pay 3 spots 50%, 30%, 20% . I am afraid that with the holidays it just got forgotten by me.

Mark

Thanks Mark. After playing in a sat and then reading PSO Scoop I was left wondering if the change applied to sats only or if the overall payout structure was changed.

Comment

It should also be noted that this change includes 7-Stud and 7-Stud HiLo satellites as well, which previously had a winner-takes-all payout since they had eight players starting instead of ten. So these satellites have been changed to the 50%/30%/20% payout structure also.

Comment

Only satellites Joe.

Mark

Comment

Just curious why the payout was changed on satellites.

2002 PSO sat payouts closely correlated with real world sats -- usually chopped between last two. RARELY see sat chopped between three people. I assume that this is to make up for fact that the "added money" for multis has been semi-phased out. But, it is unfortunate if one unrealistic part of PSO is eliminated by making the satellite portion unrealistic.

I like playing in the multis at PSO, but I have found the satellites to be most helpful for correlative play in the real world arena. For those of us trying to play bigger buy-in tourneys in real, live tournaments (I believe that is your goal for PSO Mark and Tina), satellites offer an affordable way to enter more expensive tournaments. I have been able to use the style I have played here to win at least one satellite (and over 30% of the satellites I have played in at LA Poker Classic, Queens Classic, Foxwoods, and Bellagio Five Diamond) for each of the tourneys I travelled to last year. Pretty happy about that because I had played only 2 satellites before I joined PSO, and 4 live tourneys -- so I think PSO works! Sats are even more important because tourneys are very top heavy and never pay nore than top 10% or so, so tough to weather variances (probably ever beat), and sats help lessen the pain if you can buy-in at 10-50% of the cost by winning or chopping a satellite.

However, the new format is simply not representative of real world satellite play -- and for me that is very unfortunate.

Any chance of trying to go back to a more realistic payout structure?

It is your school Mark, so I will respect your rules, but as someone who aspires to play in real world tourneys and is using your school as a training ground -- just the way you hoped -- I wish you would reconsider and reinstate the more realistic payouts!

Love to hear the opinions of others who have played live tourneys sats (preferably sats for $500 and greater tourneys, because I think that sats that start you with $200-300 tournament chips are crapshoots -- and you CANNOT prepare for showdown!!), and anyone who has any opinions about the new payouts here at the school.

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

The fact is that many of the members are more likely to play online poker where the current satellite payout structures very much resemble the real thing. That was my thinking anyway.

Mark

Comment

tko14, I agree, I think the original 2 pay was satisfactory. As the winner suffered the greatest loss in the new payout schedule. If the payout was $30 to third with $15 from first, and $15 from second it would be more equitable. As it is, winning first is not significantly rewarded compared to 2nd.

Comment

The sats will either have a $300 or $50 prize pool. Winning a freeroll does not give one enough bankroll to enter a $30 sat, but only a $20 multi. A 60/30/10 split would give the freeroll winner enough to enter $30 sat. On the $30 buy-in events it would also return their buy-in, which seems reasonable for third place.

Alternatively the prize pool could be boosted to $60 giving winner entry into another sat or a $20 multi.

Comment

Mark:

Thank you for the courtesy of your response.

I don't play online poker for money. Being a licensed attorney and real estate broker in Illinois, I don't want to risk losing my livelihood! (state attorney general's office has made it clear that they believe online gambling is illegal in Illinois) So, I am not familiar with the payouts on interent sites.

So, if that is your reason, and I am in the minority, then like any good American I will stand down! However, I must say this used to be a great tool for those of us trying to become proficient in live satellite play (one that I am embarrased to say I have used over 400 times!)

Remains to see if the new structure will still offer benefit to those of us trying to play live sats. Not that you asked me -- but I will let you know what I think at the end of the month.

One thing for sure in 2003 -- the satellite play has tightened dramatically! And if that becomes an unintended result of the new payout structure it is a good thing -- better matches!

Tim

Comment

At this time I will reserve judgement until we have had the new structure in place for a month or so. As always with such things, nothing is set in stone forever.

Mark

Comment

That's all I can ask, Mark!

Thanks for your attention!

Have fun in Tunica -- wish i could be there!

Comment

I play both online at Paradise in their Satellite tourneys, and many real or live satellites.

Believe it or not I have chopped 3 way a number of satellites, it depends on the money involved, the players involved. In one day alone I chopped 3 or 4 satellites 3 ways. It is true that in most cases a live satellite will not get chopped 3 ways, but it does happen.

I do think that 3rd should only get their buy-in back plus $5 or $10 max.........

Also I agree the PSO satellite play has improved. I would like to see more satellites with a different buy-ins... 30,50,75,100,200.. I think the play would get even better with some larger buy-ins.

Comment

single table event top 3 pay
                          2 table event only top 2 pay

doesnt seem right to me but then again i aint right in head

Comment

I just played a 2 table event with 20 players
                            100 buy-in
                            payout 1= 1200 , 2= 600, 3= 200

Comment

20 players 3 pays
                              11-19 only 2 pay

Comment

Working...
                              X